R.I.P Centenary of the Levant Mine disaster

Reaction score
As the title suggets, today is one hundred years since the Levant Mine disaster which caused the deaths of 31 miners when the beam which operated an man-engine snapped and caused the unpleasant deaths of the miners upon it, who either fell or were crushed.

"A hundred years ago today the man engine collapsed at Levant mine, Pendeen, near St Just. This was the second worse mine disaster in Cornwall’s history. Thirty-one miners lost their lives and many others were badly injured. The man engine was a device that conveyed miners to and from the surface, allowing them to avoid the former, laborious climb up the ladders at the end of their core (shift). It was invented in 1841 by Michael Loam of Liskeard, although his design owed much to similar contraptions at work in Germany. The first man engine was installed at Tresavean Mine, Lanner and it was then adopted in several of the larger and deeper Cornish mines."
The Levant mine disaster - Free Chat Rooms

Or you can listen to an 1926 recording of the incident and hear some proper Cornish accents, which you definately didn't hear on the recent series of Poldark.
Levant Mine Disaster, 1919 - Free Chat Rooms

Back