Overuse of the word 'hero'

Discussion in 'Current Events/News' started by LadyOnArooftop, Nov 30, 2019.

1. LadyOnArooftop

LadyOnArooftop UKChat Familiar

These days it seems anyone who's been in the army is a hero. every fireman is a hero, all coppers are heroes, and so on . . .. When you overuse anything it becomes devalued. If only the word was saved for when it was really deserved, like yesterday, on the bridge. When most people ran away from the terrorist to save themselves, some members of the public went towards him, disarmed him and without a doubt saved lives. They showed outstanding bravery, far and above what would be expected from any decent citizen - they were true heroes.

Bad_Influence likes this.
  2. Wainright

Wainright UKChat Newbie

they put the GREAT back in to BRITAIN

3. Altair

Altair UKChat Familiar

Every member of OUR armed forces are prepared to save our country and Queen and have done so several times.

OUR Firemen are willing to sacrifice their life to save another and have done so many times.

To say that they are somehow 'False' hero's...?

Just hope YOU don't require their services in future.

breakwake_ and NightOwl65 like this.
  4. LadyOnArooftop

Never get personal to support your argument, I think you're better than that.
    It's something you often see. For example, you could say something like "I'm glad they abolished the death penalty" someone will pipe up with "you wouldn't say that if your child was murdered" (getting personal to support their argument).

5. NightOwl65

NightOwl65 UKChat Familiar

I think anyone who has served or who has family/loved ones serving in our Armed Forces or Emergency Services would have taken your comments very personally. How can you criticise anyone for "getting personal" in response

Altair likes this.
  6. LadyOnArooftop

If everyone in the army is a hero at what point to they become one, the minute they put on the uniform? from civvy street to hero in one easy move, marvellous! However, after reading the contributions to this thread I have to consider that I may be in the wrong, that being so, the hero list must be updated. . .
    If we are to accept the premise that all army personnel are heroes then by the same token RAF and navy must also be of the same ilk. Air sea rescue with their heroic acts, saving many lives, it goes with without saying - they're in.. It got me thinking, if just by wearing a uniform it got you hero status, but then I thought of royal mail postmen, so no, clearly not.
    Moving on to the NHS (Labour's fav topic), doctors and midwives are obviously heroes, (nurses are angels not heroes). Strangely, dentists aren't included on the hero list, the pain they can cause I'm not surprised. Looking at other professions, teachers immediately come to mind. They're underpaid and under-appreciated, but definitely not hero material. Scientists developing cures for cancer? quite possibly. If i've missed anyone out please feel free to update the hero list.
    One thing I note about all the above heroes - they don't do it for free........ Paid to be a hero (nice work if you can get it).

There is truth and there is untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you're not mad. but never forget - don't get personal, don't raise your voice, just improve your argument.

7. NightOwl65

NightOwl65 UKChat Familiar

After wiping my screen of the sarcasm dripping from your post I will add that I clearly stated ARMED FORCES AND EMERGENCY SERVICES..
    They sign up and get a salary for putting their lives on the line, you object ??? As for nice work if you can get it, well anyone is free to apply but only some do. Have you ever tried? I know that I haven't and would not like my sons to put their lives on the line every day, salaried or not.

Maybe you should take some time to actually talk to someone who has experienced being in active service, whether Armed Forces or Emergency Services. You may find you are not so casual in your dismissal of the work they do and the risks they take.

As for truths and untruths, and improving your argument.......... I think maybe it's advice you should consider taking yourself, but that is only my humble opinion

Altair likes this.
  8. Altair

Altair UKChat Familiar

There was Nothing 'Personal' !.. I wasn't actually arguing about anything.

It seems to Me that the only person arguing here is You.