Nascar racer Larson career in ruins after racial slur =(

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
Kyle Larson Nascar racer has been fired by chip Ganassi Racing and suspended by Nascar .

One of the nicest guys in the sport and i really do not get it.

@ Truly Gutted.

NASCAR star Kyle Larson fired by his team after saying N-word during virtual race - Free Chat Rooms

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – As sponsor after sponsor dropped Kyle Larson after he used a racial slur during a live-streamed virtual race, his NASCAR team owner was backed into a corner.

Chip Ganassi could let McDonald's and Credit One Bank and Chevrolet pull their funding and bankrupt his team or he could cut ties with the driver he had plucked from sprint car racing and groomed into an elite stock car driver.

It was essentially out of Ganassi's hands.

He fired the 27-year-old Larson on Tuesday in what he described as “an emotional call” — the only move possible to stabilize his organization.

“I told Kyle he can come back from this; he can even come back from this with our team,” Ganassi told The Associated Press. “But there really wasn't any choice.”

Larson's stunning downfall took less than 48 hours, unusual in its details and coming with sports everywhere basically shutdown during the coronavirus pandemic. The most coveted upcoming free agent in NASCAR lost almost every sponsor he had in what could ultimately be an eight-figure blunder.

Larson loses his 2020 salary plus the massive payday expected from his next contract. If he eventually lands with another team, it will surely be at a far discounted rate than the value he had built since moving full-time to NASCAR in 2013.

The unraveling began Sunday night when Larson appeared to lose communication on his headset with his spotter while competing in one of the iRacing virtual events that have grown in popularity during the sports hiatus.

During a check of his microphone, he asked his spotter, “You can’t hear me?” That was followed by the N-word. The slur was directed at his spotter, who is white.

He was suspended without pay by Ganassi Monday, then suspended indefinitely by NASCAR and Larson, who is half Japanese, was ordered to complete sensitivity training, but primary sponsors McDonald’s and Credit One Bank pulled their support within hours. Chevrolet suspended its relationship with Larson, and all but one commercial partner indicated they were walking away.

Without funding on the No. 42 Chevrolet as long as Larson was in the car, Ganassi had to act. Ross Chastain, under contract as a development driver for Ganassi, will likely replace Larson whenever racing resumes.

“After much consideration, Chip Ganassi Racing has determined that it will end its relationship with driver Kyle Larson,” Ganassi said in a statement. “As we said before, the comments that Kyle made were both offensive and unacceptable especially given the values of our organization. As we continued to evaluate the situation with all the relevant parties, it became obvious that this was the only appropriate course of action to take.“

Larson’s famed sprint car career could also be in jeopardy: Kyle Larson Racing fields a Chevrolet in the World of Outlaws Series that is sponsored in part by Lucas Oil, which also ended its partnership with Larson.

Larson also late last year added a midget car to his team and drove it to seven wins in eight races to close 2019, then opened 2020 with a victory at the prestigious Chili Bowl in his 13th try.

Larson had been prepping to test free agency for the first time in his short career and Ganassi was expected to find himself in a bidding war for his franchise NASCAR driver.

Larson was thought to be deciding between Ganassi or a move to Tony Stewart’s NASCAR team. He also might have been a long-shot candidate to replace seven-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson at Hendrick Motorsports, although Rick Hendrick isn't as generous in allowing his drivers to compete in other series and giving up sprint cars was a deal-breaker for Larson.

But his career imploded when his slur went viral in part because viewers can follow the virtual races on the gaming app Twitch and eavesdrop on the drivers’ typical lighthearted banter. Larson apologized in a video posted on his social media accounts.

“I made a mistake, said the word that should never, ever be said,” Larson said. “There is no excuse for that. I wasn’t raised that way. It is just an awful thing to say. I feel very sorry for my family, my friends, my partners, the NASCAR community and especially the African-American community.

“I understand the damage is probably unrepairable and I own up to that.”

He reached out to many sponsors and friends to apologize. Brent Powell, president of Plan B Sales and Marketing, was the only sponsor to remain behind Larson. He said the driver called him personally to “express his regret about what transpired.”

“We know he is an awesome young man that made a mistake and we are going to stand behind him 100% and help any way we can," Powell said.

Larson, whose grandparents spent time in an internment camp in California during World War II, climbed from short-track racing into NASCAR through its “Drive for Diversity” program. He is the only driver of Japanese descent to win a major NASCAR race.

I know he has made a mistake but i am truly devastated ,

He thought his mic was broken , no excuse i know , he was talking to his race spotter who is a white guy , I know the "N" word is not acceptable but the total wipeout of this guys career does not seem just.

This kid knew how to race , he took it to the best in the Sport with an average car ....

I am totally lost for words.

Fcuk me.

GettyImages-597190388.jpg

This guy was my inspiration for 7 years , waking up to this news is soul destroying , everyone makes mistakes

o_Oo_Oo_O

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Motor racing is heavily dependent on sponsorship money, so If you use the 'N' word - you're finished. They can't have their brand connected to the racial slur, no matter how innocent the use of it was. I feel for the guy, not that I know of him. We don't get to see much Nascar racing over here, but what i have seen of it, with it's banked circuits - I love it. Reminds me of he halcyon days of British motor racing and the Brooklands race track.
They risk their lives racing, knowing that every race could be their last one. Something you've said shouldn't end your career.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
Motor racing is heavily dependent on sponsorship money, so If you use the 'N' word - you're finished. They can't have their brand connected to the racial slur, no matter how innocent the use of it was. I feel for the guy, not that I know of him. We don't get to see much Nascar racing over here, but what i have seen of it, with it's banked circuits - I love it. Reminds me of he halcyon days of British motor racing and the Brooklands race track.
They risk their lives racing, knowing that every race could be their last one. Something you've said shouldn't end your career.

I am truly dismayed , My father took me to watch this kid in the "World of Outlaws" series when he was alive ,
He said to me watch this kid he is summit special ,
I have i loved motorsport and Nascar really is my thing , i live in the UK but i have been over to watch him on 3 different holidays and would have this year also if not for the current issues ,

Thing is it wasn't even a real race it was a virtual race online but i know there is no excuse.

He really has delivered on his promise in an average car and was due to sign an 8 figure contract with Hendrick motor sports ,

Young guy married with 2 kids ,

I love him man am feeling weird right now.

thanks for your reply though.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
And also ,
It should be taken into context , It was aimed at a white guy who has kept him safe on-track for 7 years ,
He was joking not offending anyone.

My kid can go on his games console and hear this word on his GTA game fgs ,
It's all over You-tube in whateva song you choose to listen too ?

Punishment needs to fit the crime , context and direction is everything ?

This is "Hero to Zero"

I'm in no way condoning his actions but please !!!

Let common sense prevail !!!!

:(:(

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
What channels show Nascar, is it BT sport? We only have Sky sports, and we only have that because according to the other half 'I cried for them', I don't recall any tears being shed. :rolleyes: So I'm stuck with F1, which is about exciting these days as table tennis. In the past there used to be a cross-over with F1 drivers racing in the Indy500 (is that Nascar?) I remember in the 90s watching Nigel Mansell racing for the film star Paul Newman's team and getting pipped in the final laps, he was robbed!. It's hard to see Lewis Hamilton racing in the Indy500, far too dangerous!

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
"Ohhh my god"

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
What channels show Nascar, is it BT sport? We only have Sky sports, and we only have that because according to the other half 'I cried for them', I don't recall any tears being shed. :rolleyes: So I'm stuck with F1, which is about exciting these days as table tennis. In the past there used to be a cross-over with F1 drivers racing in the Indy500 (is that Nascar?) I remember in the 90s watching Nigel Mansell racing for the film star Paul Newman's team and getting pipped in the final laps, he was robbed!. It's hard to see Lewis Hamilton racing in the Indy500, far too dangerous!

I fell out of love with open wheel race cars after the death of Ayrton Senna and then Greg Moore in 1999 , i was fed up of having my heart wrenched out x

Indycar would be the F1 style racing in the USA ,

Nigel Mansell is the only driver ever to win the F1 title and Indy Car title in their Career.
Alonso has been trying to do the triple crown for years which is a win at Monaco , Le Man and the Indy 500,

F1 is now boring i agree , over hyped hair dryers.

Nascar are stock cars as in the video above ,

They do race on banked ovals but also race on street circuits and road circuits around the USA,

For me , Nascar is where the action is at but i know people see it differently ,

Sigh , i'm so deflated lol XD

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
And i forgot to say it is mostly covered by Fox Sports and NBCSN but it's easily streamed online

bhgxusa0123

Staff member
Reaction score
foxsports, etc. ll online ready to stream, I know this, I live in NASCAR HQ

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
KYLE LARSON N word & APOLOGY!!!

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Did he use the N word twice? It appears so on the video or is the sound just out of sync with the pictures?
One thing I am clear about is that whether it be Indy or Nascar, the only racing I like is when it's on the oval race tracks, just for the sheer speed of those cars.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
No it was a glitch he said it once ,

Me also , the thrill of pack racing , on a banked oval , with 40 other cars in the draft , at 200Plus mph ,

This is where it is at.

Hendrick Motorsports who were due to sign Kyle for next year have said .....

" He made a mistake , it happens , the storm will calm , it always does "

A small glimmer maybe or maybe i'm looking for hope.

Fuuuuuuuu cuhs .

x

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Oh yes, I do think he will be given another chance. Everyone deserves a second chance. He'll most probably be asked to attend a racism awareness course.
just on a side note because I don't want to come across as some racing history geek, or hijack a good thread, but before Silverstone and Brands Hatch, there was Brooklands. This race track had a huge concrete banked corner. It was said you could take this corner with your hands off the steering wheel and because of the angle of the curved track the driver would come to no harm. It would take a special person to approach a bend with a concrete wall at 150+ mph and take their hands off the steering wheel, :rolleyes: especially in those days when the drivers had no safety protection!

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
Oh yes, I do think he will be given another chance. Everyone deserves a second chance. He'll most probably be asked to attend a racism awareness course.
just on a side note because I don't want to come across as some racing history geek, or hijack a good thread, but before Silverstone and Brands Hatch, there was Brooklands. This race track had a huge concrete banked corner. It was said you could take this corner with your hands off the steering wheel and because of the angle of the curved track the driver would come to no harm. It would take a special person to approach a bend with a concrete wall at 150+ mph and take their hands off the steering wheel, :rolleyes: especially in those days when the drivers had no safety protection!

Yes i remember Brooklands , that corner was taken from the original Nurburgring
, the banking was 38* !!!!!!

Hijack the thread chuckled me !!!!!:D

I'm the only guy here who gives one flying fcuk about Nascar !!!

ahahaaaaa love it !

Back