My computer is acting strange

Jerry504

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Every so often a message pops up on my screen saying "Are you still using this computer?" What should I do?? It's getting very annoying IS THIS NORMAL???

S

Saphire

Every so often a message pops up on my screen saying "Are you still using this computer?" What should I do?? It's getting very annoying IS THIS NORMAL???
No idea....maybe installing an adblock would sort it.

TheBabayaga

Life is but a Dream within a dream
Reaction score
Not to worry, its just the strangest message ive ever feakin heard, and good possibility is a hacker or hack group wantin to infultrate and take over first your pc then your brain, make you do things you dont wanna do!!!!!!!! shut it down shut it down and run run as far as you can!!!!!....or it could just be a virus,best google it, probably via a download some point in the not too distant pass. if gets really bad just go back in time and do that pc recovery thing whatjumicallit thing you know..

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
No it isn't NORMAL. This is a very well known VIRUS that has been installed into your laptop's operating system.

What you need to do is.... UNPLUG the offending laptop and put it in the nearest bin.

Bonus points if you live in a high rise apartment. Throw it out the window.

When it hit's someone they will get the Virus too. Just not in the same way.

Thank me later. :)

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Never seen that before.

Have seen "someone else is using this computer" before.

Check to make sure Windows Update has finished, if it's trying to write to a file your using it may throw an error.
If your PC may has been hacked try checking your search/browsing history to see if your PC has been to sites you havent used.

Other than that check your logins to see if someone is using your PC remotely.

Here's a link to a site which will show you how to check logins.

About a quarter of the way down the page under "How to check logons in Windows" explains how to access the event viewer.

Hope that helps

bhgxusa0123

Staff member
Reaction score
Never seen that before.

Have seen "someone else is using this computer" before.

Check to make sure Windows Update has finished, if it's trying to write to a file your using it may throw an error.
If your PC may has been hacked try checking your search/browsing history to see if your PC has been to sites you havent used.

Other than that check your logins to see if someone is using your PC remotely.

Here's a link to a site which will show you how to check logins.

About a quarter of the way down the page under "How to check logons in Windows" explains how to access the event viewer.

Hope that helps
Damn , I didn't know you had it in you! :p

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

NickUK

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
People rarely 'hack' individuals so please stop saying the person is being 'hacked' because that's just bollox...hacking groups generally focus on businesses and organizations
Now....
I once had a virus that kept saying 'its your move' every 10 seconds, this sounds similar to that...I figure its a virus of some sort...I dunno why someone suggested an 'adblocker' as its not an advert and adblockers are usually installed into browsers....
Download a decent antivirus, perhaps a trial, and get rid of it.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
People rarely 'hack' individuals so please stop saying the person is being 'hacked' because that's just bollox...hacking groups generally focus on businesses and organizations
Now....
I once had a virus that kept saying 'its your move' every 10 seconds, this sounds similar to that...I figure its a virus of some sort...I dunno why someone suggested an 'adblocker' as its not an advert and adblockers are usually installed into browsers....
Download a decent antivirus, perhaps a trial, and get rid of it.

I'm not talking about the taking over of the PC, just that there may be someone who legitimatly used the PC who may have clicked on something they shouldn't.

Phishing for example uses bulk e-mail messaging to possibly thousands of computers, only takes someone to click a link or download an attachment to infect a PC.

Decent Anti-Virus is only as good as the person using the PC, they are quite capable of allowing a back door hack, a key logger etc to be opened if they dont heed the warnings.

People make mistakes.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the taking over of the PC, just that there may be someone who legitimatly used the PC who may have clicked on something they shouldn't.

Phishing for example uses bulk e-mail messaging to possibly thousands of computers, only takes someone to click a link or download an attachment to infect a PC.

Decent Anti-Virus is only as good as the person using the PC, they are quite capable of allowing a back door hack, a key logger etc to be opened if they dont heed the warnings.

People make mistakes.
'Remote Access' is the one to be concerned about. On ANY windows PC...form windows 95 right up to 10... it's easy to remotely access any computer in the world, if you know what you are doing.

The potential problems with that are astounding.

Microsoft have done nothing to stop that happening.

It's all left up to the user to install their own antivirus / anti snooping software.

That's the killer.. Who makes the 'Software' and who makes the 'problems'?

Hughie

Take these times easy.be safe.Help others.
Reaction score
Run Avgfree on it.If that dont help buy a good antiviris program,theres loads around.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Run Avgfree on it.If that dont help buy a good antiviris program,theres loads around.
Yeah...Buy something that doesn't actually solve the problem.?

Great advice Hughie. Fcuk off.

Ingrid1965

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
No it isn't NORMAL. This is a very well known VIRUS that has been installed into your laptop's operating system.

What you need to do is.... UNPLUG the offending laptop and put it in the nearest bin.

Bonus points if you live in a high rise apartment. Throw it out the window.

When it hit's someone they will get the Virus too. Just not in the same way.

Thank me later. :)
Nooooooooooooooooooooo... I have a Ghost friend on my laptop too.... Been with me for years now and is a better partner than a real 1..... LOL

Jackfrost

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
It wants to go into shut down it’s a power saving mode. You’ll have to turn that off

Jackfrost

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
  1. Go to Settings on your device.
  2. Tap on Battery and Device care, then Battery.
  3. Disable Power saving mode.

Back