Movies better than books?

HappyNutz

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Alright folks, who here knows of any movies that were actually better than the source material that they were based upon?

I can only think of two, the first being Jaws, the movie being leaps and bounds beyond what the book achieved, and the second being The Mist. Stephen King even admitted the movie ending was better that the one he created in the novel. Not one to watch if you don't like spiders tho...

doonhamer3

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Nothing springs to mind that I've read and seen, more likely the other way round. So many bear little resemblance to the books and they don't have the time to build the characters in the film.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Although the book was great, the film set the tone for the Hollywood promise.
Where it failed completely in future films.

The movie/book, Patriot Games by Tom Clancy, with Harrison Ford as the lead and one of my favourite actress's Anne Archer, plus it had the ever brilliant James Earl Jones as the ailing head of the CIA, a classic performance.

It is a great movie, better than the book, debatable as the book has more history, some of which is wrong, but still debatable.
To me however, the movie is better than the book.

In my humble opinion, the Clancy movies that followed, sucked.

They fecked up the promise of great characterisation by Ford, Archer and Jones.
They were perfect for the books.
Yet they ruined the franchise after that.

I wont even touch Clancy's Hunt for Red October, that film is wrong on so many levels.

Zo_So

'This is the mystery of the quotient..' LZ
Reaction score
When I read... I create the cast ... with a movie, I have to take what I get............ I might add here that my casting is always better ...

Back