Man admits furlough was the highlight of his entire career.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
A man has acknowledged that his job is no longer fulfilling since the furlough scheme ended last year.

Dave Pile, aged 59, was on a career-high during furlough.

“Before the pandemic, my career wasn’t really going anywhere,” said the semi-retired bookkeeper. “I’d been stagnating at the same mundane job for too long, knowing that I wasn’t unlocking my potential but without the education or even the desire to do anything about it.

“But then furlough came along and suddenly I was happy. It was like a switch had been flicked and now here I was in my dream job.

“I didn’t know what I wanted to do when I left school and just sort of fell into a career in bookkeeping. But at last, I’d found something I was genuinely really good at – doing bugger all.

“No longer was I living a humdrum existence of mediocrity – I honestly think I’m one of the best when it comes to eating Jammie Dodgers and w*n*ing into socks. And the fact I was being paid to do it felt like the ultimate vindication of years of practice.

“Honestly, the appraisals I gave myself were off the charts!

“I remember one day in particular when I just lay on the bed in my saggy Y-Fronts, staring at the ceiling and ranked all the Right Said Fred songs in my head as the spring sunshine shone through the window and warmed my ever-increasingly obese body.

“I can honestly say it was the most rewarding thing I’ve done on a Tuesday since qualifying as a bookkeeper almost 40 years ago.

“Is furlough over? Really? It’s such a shame I have to go back to… whatever it is I do. I think it involves adding up how many hours someone worked all week or something.”

Back