Labour Party

Jessicarabbit_63468

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
As an American I found it very curious on Sky news that Demi (an African English woman) was against family leave for your country. Im curious as to your opinions?

Not_Fred_Honest

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Do you mean Either Kemi Badenoch?

Speaking to Times Radio, Badenoch said statutory maternity pay, set up to support mothers for 39 weeks after having a baby, is a "function of tax" which she called "excessive".

She added that "the exact amount of maternity pay in my view is neither here nor there", adding: “We need to have more personal responsibility - there was a time when there wasn’t any maternity pay and people were having more babies."

Its basically 10 months off after having a baby.

If you take Shared Parental Leave you’ll get Statutory Shared Parental Pay (ShPP). ShPP is £184.03 a week or 90% of your average weekly earnings, whichever is lower.

You could get a one-off payment of £500 to help towards the costs of having a child. This is known as a Sure Start Maternity Grant.

This is all pretty low compared to the rest of Europe.

But if you want to get access to social housing, have no skills, never worked and never want too, having a child is an easy way to archive this. This is the reason they have a 2 child rule.

In my fathers day, the idea of a "wife" working was unthinkable and its not that long ago. Women working after having a children was a communist idea. A women's place was in the home.

But back to Badenoch.

Badenoch was just trying to get a sound bite and stand out.

She born in London, spent her childhood living in Lagos, Nigeria and running for the Conservative party leadership. ( Republican). Given what's what's happened over the summer with the riots, I cant see anyone voting for her in the conservative members ballot. Sunak only got to be leader after Liz Truss mess up. No one really wanted Sunak.

Back