It's a must at this time of year ... Favourite Christmas Movie?

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I watched 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation' over the holidays, I'd forgotten about this one, I'd put this at No 1 on my all-time favourite Christmas films list. I also caught the 1951 version of 'A Christmas Carol' (mentioned above ^^^^) Notwithstanding the great Alistair Sim as the quintessential 'Scrooge', I'm not a fan of this version, simply because the picture quality is poor, bordering on unwatchable. They've colourised it. but it needs a complete remastering job.

Remember that the technology back then was not as we know it now put together with the British film industry being way behind America, possibly for financial reason. Most British black and white films in that era were pretty basic, however, they did have a certain naïve charm about them :). I do agree with you the Great Alistair Sim made a great Scrooge. :) The 1951 version when I saw it, reminded me of those old black white photos that were tinted with colour. It will still remain a great favourite of mine as it was very atmospheric.

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I never gave up knitting. It's a very creative pastime and very rewarding.
:)
I gave up knitting when I attempted to knit a Fairisle jumper for my sister for a christmas present. I did complete it and although I received much thanks for it, she never wore it! :D

casiquaire

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I watched 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation' over the holidays, I'd forgotten about this one, I'd put this at No 1 on my all-time favourite Christmas films list. I also caught the 1951 version of 'A Christmas Carol' (mentioned above ^^^^) Notwithstanding the great Alistair Sim as the quintessential 'Scrooge', I'm not a fan of this version, simply because the picture quality is poor, bordering on unwatchable. They've colourised it. but it needs a complete remastering job.
IMO the greatest Christmas film of all time is National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

PennyDreadful2

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I used to really liked Scrooged, and watched it whenever it was on. However when I watched it a few weeks ago, I didn't enjoy it as much. I think I suddenly realised how violent it was in some scenes. I must be getting old.

Back