Handy Tips

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Regularly clean out the filter on the washing m/c. Better to do it when you're supposed to... instead of leaving it till it's clogged up and the machine won't empty so you have to do it while it's full of water, which is what I've just had to do. :( It's amazing what can get stuck in that filter... coins, buttons, bra-extenders. The one thing I was hoping to find was some of this new plastic coated cash. :rolleyes: It would have brought a whole new meaning to money laundering. :)
Any other tips?....

casiquaire

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Regularly clean out the filter on the washing m/c. Better to do it when you're supposed to... instead of leaving it till it's clogged up and the machine won't empty so you have to do it while it's full of water, which is what I've just had to do. :( It's amazing what can get stuck in that filter... coins, buttons, bra-extenders. The one thing I was hoping to find was some of this new plastic coated cash. :rolleyes: It would have brought a whole new meaning to money laundering. :)
Any other tips?....
dr beckmann fluid in your washing machine once a month aswell

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Washing machines are designed to take a 2/3 rds load by height in the drum if it is light single items.
T-shirts, underwear, stuff like that.
If you washing heavy items, Jeans, Dressing gowns, towels.
They soak up water a lot more and hence become heavier.
When spinning thats what fecks up the drum bearings, uneven heavy loads
Only put about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a load in drum height in at once for heavy items.
Also make sure they are lose, not clumped.

Did some design work for hotpoint many years ago and that was thier spec for washing machines.

Kev45

A beautiful sunset that was mistaken for a dawn.
Reaction score
First world problems. Washing machine manufacturers recommend we wash with a full load for efficiency (a hand should be able to fit in the top of the drum) to save not only on electricity, but also water and most modern machines also have an eco-mode function that washes at a lower temperature to further reduce water and electricity consumption. My washing machine takes the average 9 kg load, and I wash king-size quilts, like most other people, without any problem at all. We also buy our large electrical goods from John Lewis, who offer free extended warranties and are extremely competitive price wise, including at the lower end. I always check the filter and that the machine is perfectly level, using rubber anti vibration feet if they are required. Low temperature washing capsules, although more expensive, ensure the tray is hardly ever used and so avoid gunk build up, etc.

Top tip. The washing capsules from Aldi are reasonably priced and much cheaper than similar branded alternatives in mainstream supermarkets.

Kev45

Reaction score
Darling, I refuse to clog up my pipes with gunk.

Kev45

Reaction score

Kev45

Reaction score
I didn't buy this one, just rang up Fairy and told them I was using liquid detergent and they send me a free one :cool:

But you just posted a picture of regular washing powder and said you used that. Stop being a naughty boy. You can also buy 10 kg bags online, 200 washes, the stuff laundrettes use, which works out a lot cheaper.

Kev45

Reaction score
Apologies if I am stating the obvious, but you can buy this simple solution for your washing machine on an uneven floor. Such as my Victorian tiled floor, I don't want to risk lifting and then relaying them just in case I break them and I can't afford a man who can.

s-l1600.png

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Don't drive with snow on the roof of your car. I got stopped by the police this morning for doing so... Apparently if you touch the brakes, the snow could come cascading down onto the windscreen and the wipers wouldn't be able to clear it, so you'd be driving blind.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Never pause the TV for too long especially if you have a news channel on.
I had a visitor last night, so like a decent sort I paused the TV (I should have switched it off) but anyway... About an hour later I unpaused it, and thought nothing more about it. This morning I put Sky Movies on but at the bottom of the screen I couldn't help noticing a faint image of a news banner. :confused: You know, all these news channels have some kind of ticker-tape, breaking news banner at the bottom of the screen? well that's what I could see on the movie channel! and it's on every channel. My friend says it's known as 'burn-in' caused by having the same image on the screen for too long. The pixels have been damaged and it is irreversible. :rolleyes:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Always read the reviews before buying. I've just taken delivery of a new Condensing Dryer. Now, on my old dryer, which they kindly took away, the water reservoir was in a handy place, top left-hand corner, same place as where you put the detergents on a washing m/c. Just pull it out, empty it and replace. But this new dryer, you have to get down on your knees, open up the bottom plate and withdraw using both hands an awkward shaped container. Empty it, then get back down on your knees to replace it. And the manufacturers recommend you do this after every usage. What a palaver! I've just been on the site to read the reviews, a bit late I hear you say, and I couldn't agree more. And guess what? the emptying of the reservoir features quite a lot! So i'm stuck with it, but I only have myself to blame. :rolleyes: Then again, if this is all I have to worry about in life....

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I've since been told that it's a safety measure. If the reservoir is at the top of the dryer and if you ignore the warning light indicating that you need to empty it, the water will leak down onto the electrics. When it's at the bottom of the m/c the worst that can happen is that it will flood the floor. They also said some dryers have the water reservoir built into the door. Though this may be yet more duff info I've been given. To be perfectly honest I think in future I will go back to the vented type of tumble dryer and just hang the hose out of the window when it's in use.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I don't think you can plumb-in a tumble dryer. But I take the point about the convenience and space-saving of washer/dryers, something i'd never really given proper consideration. In future I shall bear it in mind...

dryer1.JPGDryer2.JPG
Not exactly why I want to be on my knees...
dryer3.JPG

JennyFleck

Inconsistently Consistent
Reaction score
If you have any friends, Birdseye frozen potato waffles make excellent makeshift coasters.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
If you have any friends, Birdseye frozen potato waffles make excellent makeshift coasters.
I don't have any friends. Here or otherwise.

Potato waffles for coasters sound good to me.

Fried first... or keep them Frozen?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Bigger is not always better! and no, i'm not talking about that... :rolleyes: i'm talking about TV's. But working on the premise that given the chance you always prefer bigger, I replaced my knackered 42inch with a 65inch. And whilst it's great watching a movie on it, it's like being at the pictures, the HD picture quality isn't as sharp as my old tele. I was expecting more from this expensive Samsung :(

Dropship

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
My 24" TV is just fine; anything bigger and you get hideous huge faces in your living room like these-

conchita.jpg

black-Serena-Williams-rant2.jpg

elton-12.jpg

tranny-pair.jpg

greta.jpg

Back