Glastonbury.

S

Saphire

Did anyone watch it? Any highlights for you?

I watched the full Mcartney set, his vocals are not strong now, but his talent and charisma still shines. He is 80, and did almost 3 hours...brilliant.
One of the more mundane songs (imo) was brought to life by his duetting with John, it was a highlight of the whole night.
Scroll 2 minutes in.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I missed it, and had planned to watch it on catch-up, only to find it's not available. :( I'm a big Macca fan, but I do wish he'd turn it in. I prefer listening to his music when he was in his heyday, and when he could hold a note.
He was always in the shadow of John, and bizarrely, he still is to many... It's something I find odd. John was clearly the leader in the early days. but there came a point, say in the mid 60s, when Macca became the driving force, the main songwriter. Maybe he thinks he still has something to prove. :rolleyes:

S

Saphire

To be honest, I was thinking along the same lines, sometimes people go on too long, Elton John and Rod Stewart also spring to mind.
I have seen McCartney in the last couple of years, murdering his songs, but.....I loved every minute of his Glastonbury gig.

He mixed up old with new, Beatles tunes with Wings, brought in a couple of big guest singers, chatted, and he is, imo, very likeable anyway.

I was a bit disappointed with Diana Ross last night...very off key.
She looked gorgeous though.

L

LiveWales

Obviously she cant sing live, she had some guts going on stage being that tune, sadly itwas disappointed at Glastonbury. just my opinion.

S

Saphire

Obviously she cant sing live, she had some guts going on stage being that tune, sadly itwas disappointed at Glastonbury. just my opinion.
She has always been great singing live, in fact, she sounded really good at the recent Queens Jubilee concert.
But....she is only a couple of years younger than McCartney....no matter how brilliant they once were, they are all human.

A couple of exceptions I can think of, Tom Jones, his voice is still brilliant....and Shirley Bassey can also still belt em out.

L

LiveWales

I think Tom Jones has got better with age, i saw him live in Cardiff earlier this month with the Stereophonics, Media said she mimed at the Jubilee Diana Ross that is.cant say i have ever been to Glastonbury one day i hope

S

Saphire

Both Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey are Welsh...lucky you seeing Tom live.

L

LiveWales

Saw him last year too, and yes i feel lucky he was born in the next town to me and loads of welsh men/lads are named Tom Jones he was very busy when he was younger :)

S

Saphire

I prefer the Tom now to the young, sex symbol Tom,
Seeing old newsreels of him performing, he was very 'obvious', though his voice has always been fabulous.

I love it when he breaks into song on the TV programme 'The voice'...seems there is nothing he can't sing well.

L

LiveWales

I agree he has done well for himself, Wales is proud of him, great ambassidor for the Welsh

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
No, I didn't watch it. Glastonbury has never really been my cup of tea in terms of music festivals. I prefer The Download Festival.

S

Saphire

No, I didn't watch it. Glastonbury has never really been my cup of tea in terms of music festivals. I prefer The Download Festival.
I watched the two I mentioned, in the comfort of my own home.
Even when young, the thought of going to any music festival, the mud, the crowds, the smell, the toilets o_O...that was never my cup of tea.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I watched the two I mentioned, in the comfort of my own home.
Even when young, the thought of going to any music festival, the mud, the crowds, the smell, the toilets o_O...that was never my cup of tea.
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of that either. But my mum and sister love going to The Download Festival, even though it can get pretty swampy there. The music at The Download Festival is more of my taste though.

Back