Free speech, for or against?

BronzeSquirrel

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I just think high profile comedians like Carr need to act responsibly when dealing with horrific events like the holocaust. None it was funny, not then, not now. It's one thing coming out with a tasteless joke in the pub, and another trying to make money out of it. If you've got to stoop to making a joke out of people being exterminated in the worst possible way then you need a new gag writer.

S

Saphire

That’s definitely a tricky question to answer. I think it would depend on circumstances, such as the context, the intention.
It is tricky, but ultimately, we have a legal system that can decide.
This has had so much bad publicity in the last few days, I now wouln't be surprised if Netflix wanted to disassociate themselves.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
100 + of Rogan podcasts have been removed.

If he breaks the new rules he will quite rightly be sacked.

SamBally

Reaction score
Carr was right about one thing, his career is over.

S

Saphire

Yes we have laws that decides what is deemed ‘hate speech’, although I don’t think what Carr said would be in breach of those.

I doubt Netflix will place any sanctions on him, and in my opinion nor should they. Likewise Spotify, while removing a few of Joe Rogan’s podcasts that used the N word, (again the context of such use has not been taken into account) will not cancel him. The know he has an audience of millions, he’s an asset and they know it.
The backlash is growing.
No organisation wants bad publicity, and if people feel so strongly, they could boycott Netflix for hosting his show.
Had Carr made a similar 'joke' about Muslims, Jews, Blacks, gays, I wonder if that would have been classed as hate speech?

I tend to think it would.

SamBally

Reaction score
Channel 4 will "boycott" Carr 100%. If they don't it ruins their long-standing reputation as being the champion of the repressed. Countdowns Rachel Riley who has made a number of complaints of antisemitism against the left, if she is genuine (cough cough) will not be very happy working alongside a man of the calibre of Jimmy Sick in the head Carr.

Game over.

SamBally

Reaction score
The backlash is only growing because the Shouty Liberal nutters, who think everyone should just agree with them or shut up, have made Carr todays target. It’s pathetic.

Says an online keyboard warrior who "HaHa" the deaths of children not once but twice.

S

Saphire

The backlash is only growing because the Shouty Liberal nutters, who think everyone should just agree with them or shut up, have made Carr todays target. It’s pathetic.
In this case an organisation called 'The Travellers Movement', who fight for the rights of ethnic Romany Gypsy, Irish Traveller and Roma equality have said .... “This is truly disturbing and goes way beyond humour. We need all your support in calling this out.”
The group has also asked Netflix to remove the special from its platform.

SamBally

Reaction score
You doubt they do although you have just been told they do.

Thankfully, Boris, that shouty liberal nutter", has stated he will legislate to ensure it becomes a criminal offense.

Just like racism and islamophobia are criminal offenses.

SamBally

Reaction score
Just like holocaust denial is illegal in most of Europe.

The imaginary "free speech" defense trotted out whenever savages like Jimmy Carr abuse and insult the victims of the holocaust.

Legislate to control these out-of-control savages.

Back