Free speech, for or against?

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
No. You really need to learn to read. They believe “This is truly disturbing and goes way beyond humour.” not that Carr believes that the killing of thousands is a positive. Stop digging.

They obviously do believe Carr meant it, he said it, he has to own it and he will.

Jimmy Carr stated in black and white it was the only positive thing to emerge from the holocaust. To which the audience immediately cheered and clapped like seals at the depths of cruelty Jimmy Carr is prepared to stoop to shock them. To "entertain" them.

No ifs or buts about it.

Of course, only savages defend other savages like Jimmy Carr.

Thankfully it will be resolved with legislation.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
Ahhh. I see. So you believe that whatever a comedian tells jokes about must be their true beliefs huh? Yes, ok. o_Oo_Oo_O

I believe the more you type, the more I prod and poke you, the more you reveal why you refused to explain what "patriot" means because you said you would be banned for it.

Your own words, not mine.

Your pretend debates with other people also make me laugh, almost every time you type it is downright nasty hard-right propaganda, and if they had a single decent bone in their entire body they would avoid someone like you like the plague.

This is of course why you laughed at children being slaughtered during the holocaust.

Birds of a feather flock together.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Like we say, humour is very subjective.
I am drawn to people who can be witty naturally, some 'comedians' have set pieces, but when it comes to normal conversation, they are quite dour.
I think John Bishop and Peter Kay are naturally funny, I'm sure other people find them anything but.
For someone who considers that Charlie Chaplin is 'funny', I hardly think that you are in any position to judge what is and what is not funny!
Even Buster Keaton believed that Stan Laurel was the greatest comedy actor in that particular era. With Oliver Hardy, that boast was greatly magnified.
Who is going to argue with that, that is still alive? Oh, you, of course.
:rolleyes:
P.S. look at the thread re 'Worst movie ever seen', which would normally include Charlie Chaplin, but, I opted for something more topical because of the likely generation gap.

S

Saphire

Ahhh. I see. So you believe that whatever a comedian tells jokes about must be their true beliefs huh? Yes, ok. o_Oo_Oo_O
Comedians like him will stand up and take the piss out of anything they think will get them a laugh.
He is out to shock, stay in the limelight, count the money coming in, he obviously has little thought to the people he may be hurting along the way.
I very much doubt he has strong feelings either way about the subjects he 'jokes' about.

I doubt the BBC will touch him again....so that'll be one lucrative contract he has lost. I'm sure more will follow.
Stan Boardman was ostracised from all TV programmes and hardly heard of again after one of his jokes went wrong, and he was tame compared to today's humour.

S

Saphire

Yes they are out to shock, and it’s worked well for him, and I think it will continue to do so. Carr fills very large venues, pointing to the fact that there is certainly a market for his type of humour. Now whether you or I would pay to see him may well be a different matter, but someone will. I think, even more so in today’s world, people need a break from reality, and comedy it often that.
Boardman messed up, but comedy mistakes do not always have such career-ending consequences. Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand are still going strong.

I’d be very surprised if the BBC refused to book him again, almost certainly Sky will.
Time will tell.:cool:

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
That's the lunacy of what can happen when people are placed into power who do not believe in living in a free society, and instead one of tyranny. Freedom for me, but not for thee. These are people in power who believe in throwing people in jail for their use of words, all because they find offence in them.

S

Saphire

Maybe because certain minorities have been put down for so long, when they finally revolt and demand equal treatment, a minority of that minority go too far in their expectations.
Because governments and other authorities bend over backwards so as not to appear racist, sexist, whatever 'ist' is topical ...they clamp down unreasonably on people.

Then we have another uneven society....so some people get scared to speak openly, whilst others deliberately look out for something to be offended by.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Maybe because certain minorities have been put down for so long, when they finally revolt and demand equal treatment, a minority of that minority go too far in their expectations.
Because governments and other authorities bend over backwards so as not to appear racist, sexist, whatever 'ist' is topical ...they clamp down unreasonably on people.

Then we have another uneven society....so some people get scared to speak openly, whilst others deliberately look out for something to be offended by.
I don't even blame minorities for feeling that way. However, there are rich and influential people behind these manufactured movements and groups. Billions of dollars pumped into these organisations, and it's the people who genuinely believe in social and racial inequality who still get left behind in the end. Leaders who have been exposed for pocketing and buying homes off the backs of these groups efforts, designed to with the ultimate purpose to divide societies.

And the same applies principle when it concerns the vaxxed versus the unvaxxed, where all media platforms in particular have caused this divide between people who have had their jabs, and those who haven't. And it's not those people who are squabbling amongst themselves that have profited from this pandemic. Millionaires have become billionaires on again, the back of misery and despair.

S

Saphire

I don't even blame minorities for feeling that way. However, there are rich and influential people behind these manufactured movements and groups. Billions of dollars pumped into these organisations, and it's the people who genuinely believe in social and racial inequality who still get left behind in the end. Leaders who have been exposed for pocketing and buying homes off the backs of these groups efforts, designed to with the ultimate purpose to divide societies.

And the same applies principle when it concerns the vaxxed versus the unvaxxed, where all media platforms in particular have caused this divide between people who have had their jabs, and those who haven't. And it's not those people who are squabbling amongst themselves that have profited from this pandemic. Millionaires have become billionaires on again, the back of misery and despair.
And it has always been so. The rich and powerful will stay rich and powerful by whatever means necessary.
The good thing is now people are not so much in the datk because we have so much information at our fingertips.
The bad news is, people in power lie, and twist the truth, so who to believe?...which is why we seem to have a more divided society than ever.
The vaccine, the example you give, being a case in point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back