Favourite Mondegreens (misheard song lyrics).

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
I know this is a music-related topic but I think most people prefer to discuss or post music videos in the Music category and it is probably more about lyrics than music.
Some misheard song lyrics can give rise to humorous quotes. I have looked at some allegedly misheard words in songs and find they don't even sound anything like the original words or just do not make any sense.
Probably the most quoted mondegreen is Jimi Hendrix', 'Purple Haze', "excuse me while I kiss the sky" wrongly interpreted as "excuse me while I kiss this guy". It makes sense and was probably thought as groundbreaking lyrics at the time.
One that I always remember is The Beatles', 'Lady Madonna', where they sing "did you think that money was heaven scent?" I thought they sang, "did you think that money was seven cents?"
I later realised that I had misheard but at the time it seemed to make sense to me.
My brother thought that The Three Degrees sang "bicycle hop" in the song "my simple heart". A bizarre notion but when diction is unclear this is what can happen.
In fact, I think poor diction is probably responsible for most mondegreens.

There was a song by England Dan and John Ford Coley, 'I'd Really Love To See You Tonight, of which the chorus line was practically impossible to decipher because of the speed they sang it.
If you are familiar with that song, I think you'll agree with me about the struggle to work out the lyrics.
I wonder if there are any song lyrics that have ever baffled you or got you singing strange words to.

xxwhite_dovexx

Hello from Florida! Be thankful !
Reaction score
Dear Gawd what a post ! Write many essays WP? Lol No really great post just a bit wordy . ( Am thinking now of funniest and will RSVP ) much love ❣️

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Dear Gawd what a post ! Write many essays WP? Lol No really great post just a bit wordy . ( Am thinking now of funniest and will RSVP ) much love ❣️

I only asked for your personal favourite/example. Still, it is very assuring to hear from you from beyond the far-flung canyons.
;) ... plus xxx

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Off-hand, I can't think of any 'mondegreens' (nice word). So please don't chastise me for going ever so slightly off-topic, but the trend these days seems to be to deliberately change the lyrics of a song. I'm sure the last two Christmas number 1's were supposedly humorous cover versions of classic songs. "They built this city on sausage rolls. . .." biting satire, I think you'll agree. :rolleyes:

I was astounded to learn of this level of adulteration. :eek: .... just to prove it.
Glad you made a comment as it appears this thread is attracting little interest at the moment. Probably have to leave it a couple of years. :)

The comedian, Peter Kay, seems to be an advocate of mondegreens. If you've seen his 'The Tour: That Didn't Tour Tour' DVD or on YouTube, you will know what I mean. He seems to come up with some excellent examples, and of course, he does it with great wit and humour.
It's songs that people deliberately mishear, or pretend to mishear, that annoy me, like the one you referred to above.
I've included the link to Peter Kay's hilarious contribution:

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
it appears this thread is attracting little interest at the moment.
Seeing as there's an existing thread discussing the same subject, this one's a bit redundant, It's a damp squib. And yes, it is squib and not 'squid'. Perhaps the thread could morph into misquoted phrases (eggcorns)? Was just a suggestion.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Another one for the archives: Hawkwind's, "I got a silver machine..." misheard as "I got a sewing machine..." :rolleyes:

Manorgasmian

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
The problem is most people don't realize they still sing the wrong words,Ive had a few friends pull off howlers over the years but its far too early after clock change to recall years past. You could always expand to words you deliberately change when you sing the song probably due to some favorable past shared experience. Once changed you can't go back.
Some of mine include "Get a chicken with it!" for jetting jiggy with it, rage against the machines killing in the name of always includes a few good shouts of "F**k you I wont tidy my bedroom" and of course the TLC classic dont go chasing bowling balls.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Seeing as there's an existing thread discussing the same subject, this one's a bit redundant, It's a damp squib. And yes, it is squib and not 'squid'. Perhaps the thread could morph into misquoted phrases (eggcorns)? Was just a suggestion.

For some reason I must have overlooked your response. Why on earth did you not start a thread on misquoted phrases/quotes? The ball's in your court.
:)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
The problem is most people don't realize they still sing the wrong words,Ive had a few friends pull off howlers over the years but its far too early after clock change to recall years past. You could always expand to words you deliberately change when you sing the song probably due to some favorable past shared experience. Once changed you can't go back.
Some of mine include "Get a chicken with it!" for jetting jiggy with it, rage against the machines killing in the name of always includes a few good shouts of "F**k you I wont tidy my bedroom" and of course the TLC classic dont go chasing bowling balls.

I do, quite often, deliberately misquote (sing the wrong) lyrics but it is for my own amusement, thereby not offending anyone, but amusing myself.

Shak

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guilty of singing the wrong lyrics, It normally get pointed out fast though! One clanger as a nightclubbing teenager was singing along to. 'We're having big fun' I was certain she was saying 'We're having Meatballs'

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I do, quite often, deliberately misquote (sing the wrong) lyrics
'Come on Eileen' came on the car radio this morning, but I found myself singing 'Come on Arlene'. Clearly, Boris singing 'Come on Arlene' when he met the DUP leader Arlene Foster is ingrained in my psyche. :rolleyes:

Shak

Staff member
Reaction score
'Come on Eileen' came on the car radio this morning, but I found myself singing 'Come on Arlene'. Clearly, Boris singing 'Come on Arlene' when he met the DUP leader Arlene Foster is ingrained in my psyche. :rolleyes:
Goodness what a horrible thing to have ingrained into your head. I hope that passes quickly.
Nice to see you're still about. Keeping well I hope? xx

Back