did our souls exist before we was born ? ? ? ? ?

do you believe ? ? ? ? ?

• Total voters

Aqua1

Be your own beautiful self.
Reaction score
some says our souls existed before we was born here on earth and that we choose our life, parents, etc before we was born here on this earth . . . . . do you believe ? ? ?

some says our souls existed before we was born here on earth and that we choose our life, parents, etc before we was born here on this earth . . . . . do you believe ? ? ? ? ?
Damn right I believe!

A_Son_of_God

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
According to the Bible, a person doesn't HAVE a soul. They ARE one. (Genesis 2:7) Due to links not being possible for some reason, you'll have to look at the actual Hebrew wording used. Studybible dot info has it.

Chip_TheViking

Vegvisir
Reaction score
I think soul is another word to describe consciousness because it eludes definitive explanation if I'm right that means it didn't exist before we were self aware (born) and ceases to exist when we die.

Chip_TheViking

Vegvisir
Reaction score
Why not just use the word, "person", then?
because new born babies don't have a persona, persona is shaped by societal expectations or personal identity.

Last edited:

Harbal

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
because new born babies don't have a persona, persona is shaped by societal expectations or personal identity.
Can you define what a persona is? You could also have a bash at defining what a soul is, if you feel up to it.

Chip_TheViking

Vegvisir
Reaction score
Can you define what a persona is?
persona is a fiction we create AKA identity.

You could also have a bash at defining what a soul is,
I can't define what soul is no one can because I don't believe souls exist, just like all the "Gods".
what I really think about people who believe in souls/love may offend people.
I believe we are conscious till we are not.

can you define it?

Harbal

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
persona is a fiction we create AKA identity.

I can't define what soul is no one can because I don't believe souls exist, just like all the "Gods".
what I really think about people who believe in souls/love may offend people.
I believe we are conscious till we are not.

can you define it?
I suppose the definition of "soul" is whatever the person using the word thinks it is. I don't have a definition of my own, because I don't believe in souls, either.

Now when somebody figures out what consciousness actually is, that really will be something.

Chip_TheViking

Vegvisir
Reaction score
when somebody figures out what consciousness actually is, that really will be something.
don't think it's important, when we sleep we're unconscious, the key question is what is it that witnesses the consciousness.

A_Son_of_God

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Why not just use the word, "person", then? Persons are born, and persons die; that's all we know.
Because "person" does not define what a soul is. There is more to it than that. Nonetheless, a person IS a soul, not that they have one, according to the Bible's definition.

Just as soap is a salt, but salt is not a soap.

Harbal

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Here is an article defining how the word "soul" is used in the Scriptures. I hope you find it helpful.
wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200004192
Thanks, but large amounts of text frightens me. I daren't even so much as glance at a newspaper for fear of a panic attack.

A_Son_of_God

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, but large amounts of text frightens me. I daren't even so much as glance at a newspaper for fear of a panic attack.
No worries. Well, just as a taste of the article, it shows things like animals also being called souls. It shows the two words used - the Hebrew and the Greek, and how they were used. Then it goes into some other times it is used, such as meaning the way people think. Hence, "fleshly" as opposed to "spiritual" thinking, etc.

Harbal

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
No worries. Well, just as a taste of the article, it shows things like animals also being called souls. It shows the two words used - the Hebrew and the Greek, and how they were used. Then it goes into some other times it is used, such as meaning the way people think. Hence, "fleshly" as opposed to "spiritual" thinking, etc.
Thanks. It's the type of soul that is supposed to survive the death of the body that I have difficulty in understanding. I don't know how anyone could think such a thing possible.

A_Son_of_God

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. It's the type of soul that is supposed to survive the death of the body that I have difficulty in understanding. I don't know how anyone could think such a thing possible.
Fair enough. Food for thought: Satan told Adam and Eve that "they most positively will not die", and that "they would become like God". That was the first false religious teaching, and the start of the necessity to use the word "religion" at all. Many religions teach this in some way now, that there is something that continues to live on in them.

Altair

Master Assassin
Reaction score

NickUK

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
If you take away all your physical human urges and cravings and needs what you are left with is the soul.

Harbal

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
If you take away all your physical human urges and cravings and needs what you are left with is the soul.
And all your memories, which are stored in the brain, what are you left with? Not a lot, I would say. :(

Altair

Master Assassin
Reaction score
Back