Cornish person genuinely thinks it is some sort of a country.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
A man from Cornwall thinks it is an independent nation of some kind, it has emerged.

Leather Trimmer Operative Fancy Dan explained his surprising beliefs when colleagues asked about his ‘Kernow’ car sticker.

He said: “Kernow has its own rich Celtic heritage, including a very popular language and a professionally-designed flag. We also invented fudge and seafood restaurants and are sick of Westminster telling us what to do.“

“Our proud, soon-to-be-independent nation boasts such urban powerhouses as Truro and St Austell, with an economic infrastructure based on growth industries like basket making and singing racist songs imported from America for tourists traveling to Cornwall from countries like England.“

“And sometimes we wear kilts. Not sure why, but it’s good.”

Dan's co-worker Dave Pile, aged 59, said: “Obviously we thought he was joking, so I made a quip about how Cornwall should have its own currency featuring Martin Clunes in the role of Doc Martin on one side and a big pasty on the other.

“He looked at me earnestly, said ‘not a bad idea’ and made a note in his phone.”

Colleague Mary Fisher said: “I thought I’d play along with the apparent gag by saying that I was from the nation of Wiltshire, part of a proud fighting race called the Swindonians.“

“Dan said that if our two races joined forces in the coming rebellion we could do a power-sharing deal.”

“Unfortunately, Dan refused to enter into a pact with a colleague from Devon, Paula Rhinehart, because in 1456 a Devonshire army of 13 heavily armed men invaded St Ives and plundered 71 sardines and a battered decomposing dead rabbit.“

Adding “I don't know why I mentioned a 'battered decomposing dead rabbit', I think it's a secretive Cornish tradition“.

Back