Car no claims bonus

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
At the moment I'm on the insurance as a named driver. To get some independence I was going to get my own car and insure it myself. But I've since been told I'll have lost my 70% no claims bonus. Apparently if you haven't insured a car as the main driver in the past 2 years, any bonus you may have acquired is lost, gone, just like that. I am absolutely fuming. You're a careful driver for years and years, not making any insurance claims, building your no claims bonus up to the maximum allowed and it can be taken away just like that. So you have to start again from scratch, paying the full premium. Insurance companies? worse than bankers :mad:

MillieW

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
At the moment I'm on the insurance as a named driver. To get some independence I was going to get my own car and insure it myself. But I've since been told I'll have lost my 70% no claims bonus. Apparently if you haven't insured a car as the main driver in the past 2 years, any bonus you may have acquired is lost, gone, just like that. I am absolutely fuming. You're a careful driver for years and years, not making any insurance claims, building your no claims bonus up to the maximum allowed and it can be taken away just like that. So you have to start again from scratch, paying the full premium. Insurance companies? worse than bankers :mad:

No claim bonus is not a guarantee, just a courtesy as such. However, it's obviously used to keep a track of your record and I'm guessing some won't honour because your history now has a gap in it, in which you could have theoretically held an insurance policy, smashed up a car, claimed thousands and are trying to hide the fact by using your old NCB cert from 2 years ago.

I'm not suggesting that's what you did for one minute, but it's a logic they will use.

Good news however, is that there are some companies that will take into consideration the NCB built up as a named driver, providing there hasn't been a claim. Call around. You might get lucky. Perhaps check Martin Lewis money saving experts forum. I wish i could give you a name of a company to start with, to help - but I can't remember who did it for me. (Same situation, i was given full NCB)

Possibly Liverpool Victoria? or the AA

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Thanks @MillieW for taking the time and trouble to reply with the useful advice, it is really appreciated. I do have the use of a car so there's no great urgency at the moment, but when the time comes, I'll do as you suggested and see if being a named driver entitles me to any NCB. If I get no joy and it becomes too much hassle, rather start again from scratch, I may end up just getting the bus! thanks again.

cervedair

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
car & bike insurance bigest rip off in the uk & nobody can do a thing about them.
& good luck making a claim
so its pay them or catch a bus

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I.m in the same situation. Gave up the firm's car and used my wife's Peugeot.
It worked well enough. Don't drive now. She does.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
How about this?....30+ years NCB...Last year i phoned my insurance comp about my renewal.

I drive an Audi Q7 S-Line Plus 3.0L TDI Quattro. 2012.
A 9 year old car..! And i'm 56 year old.

They quoted me DOUBLE what i paid the previous year.!

I rang them and mentioned my 30+ years NCB...There reply?...We can only take into account 10 years NCB...!

There words, " If we took into account your 30 years NCB....WE would be paying YOU to insure your car...!

What can you do about that apart from nothing....! Insurance needs sorting out to be fair.

Last edited:
Back