Bring back Bob Monkhouse or Les Dawson.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
I was quite shocked to learn that Anne Robinson is replacing the abominable Nick 'you be sure of it' Hewer as the new Countdown host(ess), a show I now watch with dwindling enthusiasm due to the poor standards.
If she drones on in the monotonous voice like she did on The Weakest Link (brilliantly parodied in Doctor Who several years ago), I, for one, will be disinclined to watch.
Fortunately, she will have limited opportunity to disparage the contestants in the same predictably, feeble manner, which became her trademark.
Alright, so it's not as big a question as to who should be the next James Bond or Sheffield United manager, but I wonder who else was considered, applied or even offered the position.
I would like to give you the chance to suggest who would make a far better host on Countdown.
* By the way, my title to the thread did not mean we should bring the former great gameshow hosts back from the dead, although I am sure they would have done the job admirably.
:)

B

BigDog84

Do you realise that on the weakest link- she was told to be an Anti Heroic charachter to off set literally every other game show host at that point in time, which is what made the program a success?
If you watch her in her other roles like watchdog she comes across as the complete oposite.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deadpool

Another thick cnut to add to the ignore list. Keep em coming folks

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
Sandi Toksvig would have been a far better choice than the grotesque Anne Robinson. I suspect she was offered the role but turned it down because she is far too busy. Toksvig's gentle personality and huge IQ are far better suited to Countdown than the extremely limited, snarling, and abrasive Robinson.

MisterMerlin

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Sandi Toksvig would have been a far better choice than the grotesque Anne Robinson. I suspect she was offered the role but turned it down because she is far too busy. Toksvig's gentle personality and huge IQ are far better suited to Countdown than the extremely limited, snarling, and abrasive Robinson.
Sandi 'comedy vacuum' Toksvig??

No... She can be the first to hold her hand up when someone announces they're going to assassinate someone who thinks they're funny....

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Anne played a character on Weakest Link, and i doubt we'll ever see that character ever again on TV, especially not today.
I've always found Nick Hewer a boring TV personality, even on The Apprentice. But who could replace him? I thought Warwick Davis was excellent on Tenable. Someone with charm and wit. He could easily slip into that teatime slot.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Anne played a character on Weakest Link, and i doubt we'll ever see that character ever again on TV, especially not today.
I've always found Nick Hewer a boring TV personality, even on The Apprentice. But who could replace him? I thought Warwick Davis was excellent on Tenable. Someone with charm and wit. He could easily slip into that teatime slot.
I agree that Warwick Davis is a personable presenter and could readily take over the mantle.
I once visualised Gyles Brandreth being a Countdown presenter. He is a known wordsmith and in the past had a wacky sense of humour, but I fear that his time has passed by. Also, in his time, I thought that Tom O'Connor was a likely candidate. Who knows, maybe he turned it down?
I would always prefer someone with a comedy background than a mere TV personality/celebrity. However, I certainly wouldn't suggest Jimmy Carr!
I suppose the programme was due a female presenter sooner or later but Anne Robinson would never make my shortlist.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I agree that Warwick Davis is a personable presenter and could readily take over the mantle.
I once visualised Gyles Brandreth being a Countdown presenter. He is a known wordsmith and in the past had a wacky sense of humour, but I fear that his time has passed by. Also, in his time, I thought that Tom O'Connor was a likely candidate. Who knows, maybe he turned it down?
I would always prefer someone with a comedy background than a mere TV personality/celebrity. However, I certainly wouldn't suggest Jimmy Carr!
I suppose the programme was due a female presenter sooner or later but Anne Robinson would never make my shortlist.
You don't want someone too over the top for Countdown, as it would alienate their main demographic audience. I think someone like Jimmy Carr would be too much for that type of show. Carol Vordeman would be an option. She has that linked history with the popular Richard Whiteley, is a professional, looks good, and Countdown is a show that means a lot to her, so she'll take it seriously.

HarvestMouse

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Les - No. There’s no place for MIL jokes in 2021.

Snowmanky

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
hOW ABOUT i SHOVE YOUR HEED YER ARSE ?

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
You don't want someone too over the top for Countdown, as it would alienate their main demographic audience. I think someone like Jimmy Carr would be too much for that type of show. Carol Vordeman would be an option. She has that linked history with the popular Richard Whiteley, is a professional, looks good, and Countdown is a show that means a lot to her, so she'll take it seriously.
I've only just realised that having Anne Robinson on the show makes it an all-female line up. Now surely that cannot be good for the balance of the programme. This also happens quite frequently on the Jeremy Vine Show. You then don't get discussions with a male perspective, more so when Jeremy Vine is replaced by the likes of Anne Diamond or the eternally woke Storm Huntley. As for Loose Women: it deserves a female audience only anyway!
:rolleyes:

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I've only just realised that having Anne Robinson on the show makes it an all-female line up. Now surely that cannot be good for the balance of the programme. This also happens quite frequently on the Jeremy Vine Show. You then don't get discussions with a male perspective, more so when Jeremy Vine is replaced by the likes of Anne Diamond or the eternally woke Storm Huntley. As for Loose Women: it deserves a female audience only anyway!
:rolleyes:
I find Jeremy Vine a sinister individual. Never liked the man. Never cared for Anne Diamond. And you'll find a lot of these TV shows lack stars who aren't TV presence's. I remember the days of GMTV and watching Eammon Holmes and Fiona Phillips in the mornings before school, and they were such a commanding presence as a team, that you couldn't help but watch as you munched into your bowl of Coco Pops. They grabbed your attention and i think that's what's missing today.

Back