BBC to make a drama about the life of Jimmy Saville.

S

Saphire

The BBC has announced its plans for a mini-series about the disgraced late TV personality Jimmy Savile.
The Reckoning, which will be shown on BBC One, will tell the story of the presenter's rise, and the sexual abuse scandal that emerged after his death.
Executive producer Jeff Pope said it was "a story that has to be told".
He said: "We must understand why a man like Jimmy Savile seemed to remain immune for so long to proper scrutiny and criminal investigation."

Steve Coogan will play Saville.

S

Saphire

Just a thought, but ..." a man like Jimmy Saville seemed to remain immune for so long to proper scrutiny and criminal investigation" because a huge organisation like the BBC, the same organisation that is now making money from producing this drama about his life, shielded him for decades and carried on promoting him, even when it became abundantly clear that many knew about his crimes....and kept quiet.

casiquaire

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Just a thought, but ..." a man like Jimmy Saville seemed to remain immune for so long to proper scrutiny and criminal investigation" because a huge organisation like the BBC, the same organisation that is now making money from producing this drama about his life, shielded him for decades and carried on promoting him, even when it became abundantly clear that many knew about his crimes....and kept quiet.
and continue to glorify paedophilia with a statue done by known paedo Eric Gill outside of their headquarters

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
A good idea.

It will expose one of the most heinous crimes that the BBC(a criminal organisation that people are forced to pay for, otherwise you face a hefty penalty or a jail sentence) themselves, covered up for decades. This was a man who was seen as a "national treasure" to many people across the UK, a charitable guy who ran many marathons to raise money, but had no idea of the monster he was truly was.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
It will be a whitewash. It will not delve or attempt to delve into how prevalent sexual abuse of minors was in British society. Yes, I am looking at you, Prince Andrew. Radio 1 DJs etc. MPs.

It will no doubt argue Saville was a skilled "charmer" etc (which we already know) and will not attempt to open the can of worms of who really protected him at the very top of the establishment, especially during Thatcher's reign, from prosecution, including the current leader of the labour party, who when leader of the CPS, claimed that there was not enough evidence against Saville to prosecute.

S

Saphire

It will be a whitewash. It will not delve or attempt to delve into how prevalent sexual abuse of minors was in British society. Yes, I am looking at you, Prince Andrew. Radio 1 DJs etc. MPs.

It will no doubt argue Saville was a skilled "charmer" etc (which we already know) and will not attempt to open the can of worms of who really protected him at the very top of the establishment, especially during Thatcher's reign, from prosecution, including the current leader of the labour party, who when leader of the CPS, claimed that there was not enough evidence against Saville to prosecute.
Saville was not a skilled charmer, he was a creep.
Many people who met him casually, all agreed, even before rumours came out publicly about the kind of man he was, there was something definitely off about hm.
Even in the 60's and 70's, when attitudes to women were socially very different to what they are today, he stood out as a real creep.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score

I totally agree he was a creep and it was well known in the TV industry he was a deviant, and an open secret but in all the articles and books I have read on the subject, charity bosses and senior management from Broadmoor and the various other hospitals and charities he was a patron for, all state he was extremely charming and so they had no idea he was a sexual predator. Or alternatively, so they say...

It's all well and good all the people who came forward after his death unfortunately not one of them spoke up in public at the time because their careers were much more important than his victims and I think if they had it would have led to a very different outcome.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Many people who met him casually, all agreed, even before rumours came out publicly about the kind of man he was, there was something definitely off about hm.
Even in the 60's and 70's, when attitudes to women were socially very different to what they are today, he stood out as a real creep.
He charmed a nation. He could do no wrong in the eyes of the public at the time. I even remember when the allegations came to light and people were saying that Saville could never do such a thing, and some even chose not to believe the victims.
He was a monster who was hidden by our establishment, presented as some charitable national treasure, even knighted by the Royal Family, who knew about his true character and wickedness. Even John Lydon of the Sex Pistols hinted on a radio interview about Saville's evil, but people either accepted it, or were too afraid to speak out.

Last edited:
S

Saphire

He charmed a nation. He could do no wrong in the eyes of the public at the time. I even remember when the allegations came to light and people were saying that Saville could never do such a thing, and some even chose not to believe the victims.
He was a monster who was hidden by our establishment, presented as some charitable national treasure, even knighted by the Royal Family, and who knew about his true character and wickedness. Even John Lydon of the Sex Pistols hinted on a radio interview about Saville's evil, but people either accepted it, or were too afraid to speak out.
I don't think it was the public who liked him, people in Manchester, where he spent much of his working life, loathed him. He was considered a weird creep, and I am going back to the days where he started off working as a DJ at the local plaza.
The establishment definitely protected him. One wonders why the people in power kept quiet, because it was known for decades that peopLe in different parts of the country had complained to police about his abuse...and they were ignored.

He used his charity work as the way in to gain access to the vulnerable, in hospitals, care homes, and of course at the BBC, where those in charge continued to boost his public profile, opening doors for him, whilst ignoring all the data that was known about him.
I

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I don't think it was the public who liked him, people in Manchester, where he spent much of his working life, loathed him. He was considered a weird creep, and I am going back to the days where he started off working as a DJ at the local plaza.
The establishment definitely protected him. One wonders why the people in power kept quiet, because it was known for decades that peopLe in different parts of the country had complained to police about his abuse...and they were ignored.

He used his charity work as the way in to gain access to the vulnerable, in hospitals, care homes, and of course at the BBC, where those in charge continued to boost his public profile, opening doors for him, whilst ignoring all the data that was known about him.
I
The only reason i can think of is fear. Fear for their safety, and obviously their careers. And not only did the establishment protect Saville, but also well know politicians who had abused young children for decades. I remember watching an interview with one of the victims of the abuse, and he was an older gentleman, but you could tell the pain he's suffered throughout his life as he was recollecting his thoughts and the details on what did occur in those large houses. It's truly horrific what has happened to people, and the Police did cover a lot of it up, as they tend to do.

S

Saphire

When someone is protected, like Saville was, like other powerful, famous, religious and political figures have been, it makes one wonder is it fear, or is it more because it's a way to keep that person from divulging everything he knows about his protectors?

C

CrazyCatLady

Not sure. Many of victims are probably still alive, so hopefully it's done tastefully, but given what he did- is there a way to do a drama on him tastefully? Poor sod, whoever has to play him!

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
I can only speak for me but i do not want the memory of this disgusting man to be in my face always ,

Let his memory rot in hell x

S

Saphire

What I find most distasteful about this is, the BBC are making and showing the drama, the very same organisation that covered up his behaviour for decades, whilst continuing to boost his public profile.

This encouraged other organisations to use his public profile to promote their charities, which gave him more and more access to vulnerable people in care and in hospitals, and obviously young kids as they were the ones who watched his programmes.

Jim'll fix it...he certainly did, he died in the belief he was still a 'National treasure'.

BronzeSquirrel

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
The BBC has announced its plans for a mini-series about the disgraced late TV personality Jimmy Savile.
The Reckoning, which will be shown on BBC One, will tell the story of the presenter's rise, and the sexual abuse scandal that emerged after his death.
Executive producer Jeff Pope said it was "a story that has to be told".
He said: "We must understand why a man like Jimmy Savile seemed to remain immune for so long to proper scrutiny and criminal investigation."

Steve Coogan will play Saville.
The BBC? How ironic.

PennyDreadful2

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
What perpose will it serve? Maybe the BBC feel guilty, about covering up his behaviour for so many years?

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
What perpose will it serve? Maybe the BBC feel guilty, about covering up his behaviour for so many years?
The BBC feeling guilty? I doubt it. The fat cat BBC executives were handed a whopping 40% increase in their already eye popping salaries just recently. This is a corporation where people who live on stagnant wages, or earn very little, are forced to pay a license fee that goes towards these big bosses' salaries, or are threatened with hefty fines or even jail sentences.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
The BBC feeling guilty? I doubt it. The fat cat BBC executives were handed a whopping 40% increase in their already eye popping salaries just recently. This is a corporation where people who live on stagnant wages, or earn very little, are forced to pay a license fee that goes towards these big bosses' salaries, or are threatened with hefty fines or even jail sentences.
I have NEVER in MY entire life paid for a TV licence. Back in the 70's they had adverts on TV with TV Licencing van's going round with radars on the top of the van's. Absolute bullshit. You don't HAVE to buy a TV Licence to watch TV. Simple.

If they come knocking at YOUR door...Simply don't answer the door. ;)

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I have NEVER in MY entire life paid for a TV licence. Back in the 70's they had adverts on TV with TV Licencing van's going round with radars on the top of the van's. Absolute bullshit. You don't HAVE to buy a TV Licence to watch TV. Simple.

If they come knocking at YOUR door...Simply don't answer the door. ;)
Mistaken them for the Post Code Lottery.

Back