ATM Beggars And Homelessness(Right Or Wrong) Your Experience

ATM Beggars And Homelessness

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
So I'm sure we've all been in that position where we're either withdrawing money from the ATM machine, or sorting out the Pay and Display fee. Unfortunately, there are beggars that hang out at these areas begging for money from people. And they're very good in their delivery and pitch. A true professional.
Now I'm absolutely fine with helping out the homeless, but we have to realise that there are a lot of professional beggars out there, who are people who pretend to be beggars, but are not actually homeless.
professional_beggars_01-1.jpg

J

JustinCredible

Last winter I was sat in the car in the town centre waiting for someone. There was a beggar sat outside Home Bargains shivering.. I watched a woman Instead of giving him money go into the Oxfam shop that was next door and come out with a parker coat for the poor chap. I watched as he put it on. 20 mins later I was still there waiting and the beggar was still there.. . minus the coat! clearly he thought shivering would be better for
business. . . .

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Last winter I was sat in the car in the town centre waiting for someone. There was a beggar sat outside Home Bargains shivering.. I watched a woman Instead of giving him money go into the Oxfam shop that was next door and come out with a parker coat for the poor chap. I watched as he put it on. 20 mins later I was still there waiting and the beggar was still there.. . minus the coat! clearly he thought shivering would be better for
business. . . .

That's rather alarming, and also these people work in groups I've noticed. I've noticed a man near my local co-op, who is there without fail around 6pm without fail, when people have finished work. And he'll sit there next to the ATM and ask for money. I've watched as some do give him the money, and he's tried it on me before. He seems very nice and charming as you say hello to him, but he is very good at what he does. He uses manipulative tactics that I've recognised from the sales industry.

Reaction score
Homeless round here usually all congregate in the local churchyard, the last vicar was all for helping them. That resulted in homeless folk from elsewhere being brought here so then the town was inundated with homeless. I can understand why some people are homeless as its impossible to buy something so expensive when all you receive is state benefit, its a problem that can be used to political advantage. People don't have to be homeless, I remember when the excuse for more housing was to keep the prices low, now the excuse is that theres not enough housing being built. Of course theres not enough built, people with money buy it all as investments. Cornwall had the highest amount of housing built and yet has one of the highest amounts of homeless, because we can't afford whats built. Its all political and won't be sorted until it starts to effect those that make the decisions. Those that fake being homeless so they can receive money and abuse the charity and goodwill of people only make it harder for the genuinely homeless to survive. Towns now remove the homeless and give them bus fares to somewhere else, so I can only guess that its not being homeless thats the problem but rather its the homeless that are the problem, and not for the reasons you may hope for. All comes down to politics in the end and helping the needy. If the homeless have to become a pain to become recognised and get help then is that the fault of the homeless or society? Fake homeless or real homeless, you can't differentiate between them so the whole issue has to be tackled.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I never give to homeless . [oh my she a b**** i hear your clogs working]. 1] but wait we as a couple give to a charity fund that go round helping the homeless. 2] we save the coffee beans at macd's when full we get the coffee and give it to a homeless person.. 3] we dont send christmas cards to friends anymore they know why not we up the donation to the charity we give to all year to.

LondonGuy

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I find the beggars that walk along the side of cars at traffic lights the worse. They treat it like a job they clock on and off the same time each day.

When they get money they quickly pocket it from the custom dirty plastic cup so that others think they haven't made anything.

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Homelessness is a national very sad problem..... there are many, many genuine people of all ages who through no fault of their own find themselves without a place to live. So please dont judge. No-one has to give to beggars on the streets but there are charities who care purely for the homeless like Shelter.... and I urge you all, if you can, to support these charities especially at times when they are most vunerable and in need. Thankyou.

Back