Age of the earth according to the Bible - 6000 years old? WRONG!

A_Son_of_God

Forum Reasoner - Nemesis of the Trolls
Reaction score
There is a creationist point of view that the earth is 6000 years old, or just a little over 6000 years old, actually.

This is based on a number of things, but the claim is that it is in harmony with what is written in the Bible. It is on this point, I wish to demonstrate that the idea is incorrect.

Seven Days of Creation
Yes, it is true that the Bible speaks of seven days of creation. It says that there was a day and a night, being a beginning of the day and the end of the day, too. Technically, there were six days mentioned, as God rested on the seventh day.

But, is this literally a "day and a night" as in a twelve hour period for each? No. Here's why.

The Earth BEFORE the First Day
It is shown in Genesis 1:1 that God created the heavens and the earth. But the very next verse gives us a demarcation of time. It shows the earth already existing as a water-covered, dark mass in space. Genesis 1:2 reads,
"Now the earth was formless and desolate, and there was darkness upon the surface of the watery deep".
So, prior to day 1, the earth already existed in some state. How long had the earth been here, before day 1? We simply don't know. Could it be billions of years old? Yeah, possibly. But not definitely.

The Importance of the Seventh Day
The other issue with this idea is regarding the seventh day itself. First of all, it never ended. Yep. We're still living in "the seventh day". This can be demonstrated by reading the first three verses in Genesis chapter 2.
Firstly, it states that God RESTED on it, and secondly, it states that God is STILL resting on it.
So, if God is still resting on it, then it hasn't ended.

All Seven "Days" Called a "Day"
Additionally, the seven days were summed up as a single "day" in Genesis 2:4.

But that's about "days" and the SEVENTH day. So, from the Bible, how can we know that the earth is not 6000 years old?

Bible Chronology
According to the Bible, humans are not millions, nor hundreds of thousands of years old. Humans were created, placed in a garden, and commanded to fill the earth. There is a lineage that can be followed, and it shows mankind as on the earth for 6049 years approximately (as at the time of typing this). As much as there will be mockers, this is not the article for that. This article is regarding the earth being 6000 years old. Feel free to make an article to discuss it, or you can wait, and I'll address it in a future article.

So, if mankind has been on earth for over 6000 years, how can the earth be 6000 years old, when mankind was created on the sixth "day" of God's creative works? Is it not at least reasonable to conclude that all the other days were possibly as long as the one day we DO know at least some of the age of, may have been? I mean, the seventh day has included some period of time since Adam and Eve's creation, and is still going. It will not end even yet until Christ hands back the kingdom to God, and mankind are complete before him, and these issues we're undergoing are completed. (1 Corinthians 15:24-28)

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
There is a creationist point of view that the earth is 6000 years old, or just a little over 6000 years old, actually.

This is based on a number of things, but the claim is that it is in harmony with what is written in the Bible. It is on this point, I wish to demonstrate that the idea is incorrect.

Seven Days of Creation
Yes, it is true that the Bible speaks of seven days of creation. It says that there was a day and a night, being a beginning of the day and the end of the day, too. Technically, there were six days mentioned, as God rested on the seventh day.

But, is this literally a "day and a night" as in a twelve hour period for each? No. Here's why.

The Earth BEFORE the First Day
It is shown in Genesis 1:1 that God created the heavens and the earth. But the very next verse gives us a demarcation of time. It shows the earth already existing as a water-covered, dark mass in space. Genesis 1:2 reads,

So, prior to day 1, the earth already existed in some state. How long had the earth been here, before day 1? We simply don't know. Could it be billions of years old? Yeah, possibly. But not definitely.

The Importance of the Seventh Day
The other issue with this idea is regarding the seventh day itself. First of all, it never ended. Yep. We're still living in "the seventh day". This can be demonstrated by reading the first three verses in Genesis chapter 2.
Firstly, it states that God RESTED on it, and secondly, it states that God is STILL resting on it.
So, if God is still resting on it, then it hasn't ended.

All Seven "Days" Called a "Day"
Additionally, the seven days were summed up as a single "day" in Genesis 2:4.

But that's about "days" and the SEVENTH day. So, from the Bible, how can we know that the earth is not 6000 years old?

Bible Chronology
According to the Bible, humans are not millions, nor hundreds of thousands of years old. Humans were created, placed in a garden, and commanded to fill the earth. There is a lineage that can be followed, and it shows mankind as on the earth for 6049 years approximately (as at the time of typing this). As much as there will be mockers, this is not the article for that. This article is regarding the earth being 6000 years old. Feel free to make an article to discuss it, or you can wait, and I'll address it in a future article.

So, if mankind has been on earth for over 6000 years, how can the earth be 6000 years old, when mankind was created on the sixth "day" of God's creative works? Is it not at least reasonable to conclude that all the other days were possibly as long as the one day we DO know at least some of the age of, may have been? I mean, the seventh day has included some period of time since Adam and Eve's creation, and is still going. It will not end even yet until Christ hands back the kingdom to God, and mankind are complete before him, and these issues we're undergoing are completed. (1 Corinthians 15:24-28)
Our planet is around 4.5 BILLION years old, so i think your estimate is a tad out!!

Reaction score
That's what they want you to believe. Everybody who's anybody knows the sun is cold, Earth is fake, space is fake, time is made of aluminium, spacetime was made in China in the 1970s AND the Illuminati are running the ENTIRE universe as a giant holographic computer program in order to facilitate their dastardly ends.

The 'universe' was manufactured in 1865 in a remote area of what we now refer to Bangladesh. The people who worked on 'Project Gotcha' were all employed by the infamous 'physicist' James Clerk-Maxwell, whose Unified Theory Of All Sorts Of Things (which was of course classified top secret by The Man) had been predicted by none other than Adam Weishaupt himself.

Yeah. Adam Weishaupt. You all know all about that guy. Right?

And still they expect us to believe in the existence of Australia.

It's goes so deep man. So deep. Trust nobody, especially yourself or others.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Quote from Mr God man above..."Now the earth was formless and desolate, and there was darkness upon the surface of the watery deep".

let's get this right. There was light, the SUN, and there was water. And the bible says nothing about exploding stars..!

You mix Heat with Water, add a few chemicals from exploding stars, you produce life. (RNA)

Life on Earth is not unique. Some form of 'Life' throughout the universe is actually inevitable.

Life is not unique.

Religion tries to bridge too many things.

Life does NOT need a creator.

The Universe is quite capable of producing life without any God or Gods.

A_Son_of_God

Reaction score
I don't know how. Maybe you should be asking the Creator that one!
Well, if I didn't give an estimation, and you said my estimation was wrong, it is you who is obligated to explain yourself. Otherwise it's not really a debatable point, is it. All you're demonstrating is you misread something.

zeusdart

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
That's what they want you to believe. Everybody who's anybody knows the sun is cold, Earth is fake, space is fake, time is made of aluminium, spacetime was made in China in the 1970s AND the Illuminati are running the ENTIRE universe as a giant holographic computer program in order to facilitate their dastardly ends.

The 'universe' was manufactured in 1865 in a remote area of what we now refer to Bangladesh. The people who worked on 'Project Gotcha' were all employed by the infamous 'physicist' James Clerk-Maxwell, whose Unified Theory Of All Sorts Of Things (which was of course classified top secret by The Man) had been predicted by none other than Adam Weishaupt himself.

Yeah. Adam Weishaupt. You all know all about that guy. Right?

And still they expect us to believe in the existence of Australia.

It's goes so deep man. So deep. Trust nobody, especially yourself or others.
spot on except it was manufactured or womanfctured if woke, in 1770 and it was Burnley lancs not Bangladesh

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Quote from Mr God man above..."Now the earth was formless and desolate, and there was darkness upon the surface of the watery deep".

let's get this right. There was light, the SUN, and there was water. And the bible says nothing about exploding stars..!

You mix Heat with Water, add a few chemicals from exploding stars, you produce life. (RNA)

Life on Earth is not unique. Some form of 'Life' throughout the universe is actually inevitable.

Life is not unique.

Religion tries to bridge too many things.

Life does NOT need a creator.

The Universe is quite capable of producing life without any God or Gods.

Depends on what you believe.
If there are only a finite number of atoms within the universe then perhaps only this little rock we call home has "Life" on it.
If you believe in an infinite universe, then there has to be an infinite number of life forms.
If you believe in a multiverse, the same.

However, if you believe in either infinite or multiple universe theories, there also has to be an infinite number which has a creator, be that divine or technological.
Then it is just a question of which are we?

A_Son_of_God

Reaction score
Mr Godless man states, "You mix Heat with Water, add a few chemicals from exploding stars, you produce life. (RNA)"

Yeah? Then you'd best present your findings to the scientific community, as you're in line for a Nobel Prize. But you'll have to do a lot more to win the "No Bull" prize with whoppers like that. Stick with serving patties at Hungry Jacks and Burger King.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Mr Godless man states, "You mix Heat with Water, add a few chemicals from exploding stars, you produce life. (RNA)"

Yeah? Then you'd best present your findings to the scientific community, as you're in line for a Nobel Prize. But you'll have to do a lot more to win the "No Bull" prize with whoppers like that. Stick with serving patties at Hungry Jacks and Burger King.
I get that it's really difficult for someone like you to grasp reality.

That's your problem not mine.

I'm not Mr Godless.

I can't prove there isn't a GOD.

Science FACT is....... If Stars did not explode in the past, we would not be here having this conversation.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Depends on what you believe.
If there are only a finite number of atoms within the universe then perhaps only this little rock we call home has "Life" on it.
If you believe in an infinite universe, then there has to be an infinite number of life forms.
If you believe in a multiverse, the same.

However, if you believe in either infinite or multiple universe theories, there also has to be an infinite number which has a creator, be that divine or technological.
Then it is just a question of which are we?
OK. Your comment makes some sense. Up to the point when you say 'Infinite number which has a creator'. Why would an infinite universe need a creator?

By simple logic an 'Infinite' universe actually had NO beginning so needed NO creator.

A_Son_of_God

Reaction score
I get that it's really difficult for someone like you to grasp reality.

That's your problem not mine.

I'm not Mr Godless.

I can't prove there isn't a GOD.

Science FACT is....... If Stars did not explode in the past, we would not be here having this conversation.
"You mix Heat with Water, add a few chemicals from exploding stars, you produce life. (RNA)" is not science fact.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
OK. Your comment makes some sense. Up to the point when you say 'Infinite number which has a creator'. Why would an infinite universe need a creator?

By simple logic an 'Infinite' universe actually had NO beginning so needed NO creator.
Thats kinda the point, it works with multiple universe theory, but not a single infinate theory.

Back