The latest Mars landing

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I'm struggling to get excited over this latest unmanned mission to Mars. When the Viking spacecraft landed on Mars in the 70's it was a truly historic moment. Seeing the Martian landscape for the very first time. But now, nearly 50's years later, doing the same thing, progress in space is slow, isn't it? They're even talking about going back to the moon, yes back, before the conspiracy theorists start. You know, when Man does eventually go back there and recovers the Apollo spacecraft, do you know what those wackos will say? they've just put them there! :rolleyes:

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I'm struggling to get excited over this latest unmanned mission to Mars. When the Viking spacecraft landed on Mars in the 70's it was a truly historic moment. Seeing the Martian landscape for the very first time. But now, nearly 50's years later, doing the same thing, progress in space is slow, isn't it? They're even talking about going back to the moon, yes back, before the conspiracy theorists start. You know, when Man does eventually go back there and recovers the Apollo spacecraft, do you know what those wackos will say? they've just put them there! :rolleyes:
I hope that you realise these Scientists are very similar to the ones who have advanced Virus vaccines etc such a long way since the 20th century ?. The CT`s shout about the fact that we never had lockdowns etc in the Plague years . That was over 300 years ago ffs ! We never had Electron Microscopes then to look at single cells and even into them .Theorists should try to use their minds and not try to depress logic .

KlaptOutKitten

=^.^= Hi=^..^=
Reaction score
I hope that you realise these Scientists are very similar to the ones who have advanced Virus vaccines etc such a long way since the 20th century ?. The CT`s shout about the fact that we never had lockdowns etc in the Plague years . That was over 300 years ago ffs ! We never had Electron Microscopes then to look at single cells and even into them .Theorists should try to use their minds and not try to depress logic .

Sorry I'm only replying to this post not because I agree with it, but it's because I have to post blurb in order to add my profile details so sorry guys

B

Bad_Influence

The new Perseverance Rover has been sent to find evidence of microbial life on the red planet. This alone would answer many important questions, and also present so many more.
They have already determined the evidence of water on Mars, albeit frozen or in the minerals under the surface. Water is, as far as we know,, essential to life and at present there is a debate as to whether microbial life here began on Mars, came from asteroids during the Late Heavy Bombardment, or began here.
If they find evidence of microbial life on Mars, I think it merely pushes the main unanswered question (where did life begin?) one step down the line, but it certainly will answer some questions. We will have proof that life is not just here and it makes more probable that we will eventually find it elsewhere in the solar system, most likely on Titan.
Interesting times ahead I think.

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
via NASA YouTube channel.

streamed live 23 hrs ago,

vid length - [1:51:40].

'NASA's Perseverance Rover Sends New Video and Images of the Red Planet'

KlaptOutKitten

=^.^= Hi=^..^=
Reaction score
Been told if I want to see profiles or add anything to my own profile I have to post on peoples profiles ?? dohh
I can't even add a like to forum posts

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I'm reminded of the British Beagle spacecraft that was sent to find life on Mars. All went well until it started its descent to the planet, then all contact was lost. It was assumed to have crashed and at the time it was derided as a complete waste of money. The fate of the spacecraft remained a mystery for many years until NASA's Mars orbiter discovered Beagle intact on the surface of the planet. An image taken by the orbiter indicated that one of Beagle's solar panels had failed to deploy blocking its radio antenna, so it couldn't send back its information. Who knows what it may have found?

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced that there was a moon landing in 1969. I mean, is there a single shred of evidence that Apollo 11 actually brought ANY cheese back from our near neighbour. I think not. I, for one, remain sceptical. I suppose it is feasible that Armstrong & co got peckish on the long journey back but I'm still not buying it.

Last edited:

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced that there was a moon landing in 1969. I mean is there a single shred of evidence that Apollo 11 actually brought ANY cheese back from our near neighbour. I think not. I, for one, remain sceptical. I suppose it is feasible that Armstrong & co got peckish on the long journey back but I'm still not buying it.
Hahaaa .To think , i actually stayed up all night to watch the Moon Landing on TV and had the next day off work. If it`s ever proved to be a hoax( i don`t think it will be ) then it means i lost a night sleep and a days pay!

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
We'll never actually know unless we go up there and see for ourselves. For now, we're just taking other people's words as factual. I would be interested to see what is actually out there though. But maybe they don't reveal what's out there because people might panic and go crazy. Look at what happened with Covid and toilet paper lol.

B

Bad_Influence

I don't believe they will ever find life anywhere else in the Universe, but it's good that they send probes out there

But i think they really should stop searching for life, save the money and give it to the NHS staff who need a pay rise!

Why should the NHS pay rise come from space research? After all, a lot of medical tech has roots in equipment originally invented for use by astronauts or by unmanned space craft.

I suggest every pensioner gives up half his/her pension to fund the NHS pay rise. Or maybe benefit cheats should be hunted and the money saved handed to nurses.
Of course those are not really sensible, but folk are too quick to say ‘scrap the space research’, without thinking of, or understanding the consequences.
Furthermore, if the NHS staff get more than the proposed 1% rise, shouldn’t the police get the same, and teachers, and binmen etc? Should the pay rise money be taken from those currently furloughed? Or be raked back by increasing taxes?
While I agree that NHS workers (and associated professions) DESERVE more than 1%, I think that at a time when the country has spent, and continues to spend, £billions to get us through a pandemic, giving out more then we can afford would be folly.

See the point? There’s NO easy choice, it’s not as simple as just giving NHS staff a pay rise, and not should it be when there is only so much money in the national pot.

Last edited by a moderator:

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Why should the NHS pay rise come from space research? After all, a lot of medical tech has roots in equipment originally invented for use by astronauts or by unmanned space craft.

I suggest every pensioner gives up half his/her pension to fund the NHS pay rise. Or maybe benefit cheats should be hunted and the money saved handed to nurses.
Of course those are not really sensible, but folk are too quick to say ‘scrap the space research’, without thinking of, or understanding the consequences.
I agree with the sentiment of Space Research but do you really know ,or care for that matter ,how much a State Pension is ?? Your talk a load of sh** and i`m surprised that there are some who would agree with it !
From what i read ,and it may be true ,the Nurses salary varies from about £18000 to £50,000 which in my opinion is enough to live a good life on according to how they live. Give most Pensioners half of the low end Nurses pay and you would be at least doubling what they get in State Pension,and guess what ? most Pensioners have actually PAID for their pensions ! In your line of work you must have heard about "investment " and "profits" ?.

Last edited:
B

Bad_Influence

I agree with the sentiment of Space Research but do you really know ,or care for that matter ,how much a State Pension is ?? Your talk a load of sh** and i`m surprised that there are some who would agree with it !
From what i read ,and it may be true ,the Nurses salary varies from about £18000 to £50,000 which in my opinion is enough to live a good life on according to how they live. Give most Pensioners half of the low end Nurses pay and you would be at least doubling what they get in State Pension,and guess what ? most Pensioners have actually PAID for their pensions ! In your line of work you must have heard about "investment " and "profits" ?.

Did you actually read what I said? I said my two suggestions were NOT really sensible. Please stop only reading half the words then jumping to conclusions, You only make yourself appear stupid.

B

Bad_Influence

Ahhh that old chestnut. Call it ‘banter’ and people think they can’t say anything. :)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Well I’m so sorry I’m not psychic. In future I’ll assume everything you post is a joke unless you state otherwise.
You`ve said this very same old chestnut about pensions & pensioners a few times before . I do think that you mean it ,truly !.

B

Bad_Influence

Don`t be a silly little man all your life .You know that you have made negative remarks about pensions & pensioners before.

No. Only about one pensioner. Yet again provide evidence. I know you won’t, because you never do, but I can ask.

Back