Equity regarding retirement age and State pension

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
It is a topic that does occasionally get press and media coverage but seems to be gaining little momentum in recent times, for obvious reasons; the equalisation of the retirement age/State pension.
For many years it has always seemed ludicrous and unequal to me, that men, on average, statistically dying approximately FIVE years before women, should have to wait/work FIVE years longer before they were entitled to the same State Pension.
It is a historical situation that the nation has been slow to address and one that I think is an embarrassment.
Since we are, allegedly, living in a country, if not world, attempting to promote equality, why is it still a big issue for women to work as long as men and yet still 'enjoy'
a longer retirement?
I understand that there is an ongoing campaign for women in their early 60's protesting that they have been 'cheated' of their right to claim State pension from the age of 60, which I think, quite rightly, is finding little public sympathy.
I would welcome any views on this subject, and whether or not you agree with the 'new' policy.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It is a topic that does occasionally get press and media coverage but seems to be gaining little momentum in recent times, for obvious reasons; the equalisation of the retirement age/State pension.
For many years it has always seemed ludicrous and unequal to me, that men, on average, statistically dying approximately FIVE years before women, should have to wait/work FIVE years longer before they were entitled to the same State Pension.
It is a historical situation that the nation has been slow to address and one that I think is an embarrassment.
Since we are, allegedly, living in a country, if not world, attempting to promote equality, why is it still a big issue for women to work as long as men and yet still 'enjoy'
a longer retirement?
I understand that there is an ongoing campaign for women in their early 60's protesting that they have been 'cheated' of their right to claim State pension from the age of 60, which I think, quite rightly, is finding little public sympathy.
I would welcome any views on this subject, and whether or not you agree with the 'new' policy.
Stands to sense that men should be allowed equal retirement time as women. Perhaps Science could find out just why women tend to live longer than men anyway ?

Scotsman87

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I think its another case of some women wanting equality where, and when it suits. If men have to work until they are.... 65-68 so should women. Or if women get to retire at 60, so should men.

barryfromgoole

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
as a guy who was lucky enough to be offered early retirement in my late 50's and took it ..i would advice anyone to pack work in at about 35 go on the pan .so! when you do this you get everything paid for ,no need to worry about paying for a care home when you get older ,rates to pay, prescriptions free too,just sit back relax and let the good old tax payer foot the bill..

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Still dont understand why people in euro can retired early but we cant in uk .Just glad i could afford to retire early

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I think you will find that the retirement age for both men and women is the same, those who were born in 1955 or before can retire at 66 and those born after are able to retire at 67, unless the Government Changes the ruling, which they very often do! I agree with Words, it is unequal and personally I think this was why a lot of people opted for Brexit as we were not being treated equally. However, personally speaking, I would like to have the option of retiring early but having spent most of my adult life living on the bread line after helping my children through university and gaining qualifications in their chosen professions with very little help from ex-husband or government, I feel that I have done enough, especially as I have worked long enough to secure a full pension!!

barryfromgoole

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
hiya jenerator...hope you are staying safe etc..erm i think you should be able to retire once a period of national insurance has been done ..we see civil servants , police etc able to retire after so many years of service some retire in their early 50's..
you fully deserve a full pension and well done for being a good mum..take care ...

manderson27

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
The issue that women are having is that they were not informed early enough of the changes to be able to plan their retirement. One example: A lady is due to retire at 62 she has some health issues nothing major but it is impacting her job a bit and making her miserable. She has enough savings to tide her over until her state pension kicks in at 62 so she retires at 60 living off her savings with the thought that she will get her pension in 2 years. Lets say after 18months and using most of her savings she then finds out that she will not be getting her pension for another four years. She has now got no money and needs to find a job at 62 with some health issues.

This situation could be devastating for a woman who lives on her own, is renting a property, still has to pay all her bills. If she has to go on universal credit (or whatever it is called these days) it will not cover her needs. If she can't get a job before her savings run out hen she will have to take out loans and will be going into debt to pay rent and bills until her pension kicks in. Nobody needs to be struggling and in debt at that age.

So that is the issue that some women are facing, they don't have a private pension to draw on, they have used their savings, they have some health issues, they can't find a job, they are getting into debt, they are struggling to survive because they were not aware of the changes to the state pension.

Personally I think they should meet in the middle and have men and women both receive state pension at 63.

For any younger people out there GET A PRIVATE PENSION if it is good enough you can then choose when you retire instead of having to rely on the state completely.

I know this is not always possible for everyone but even a small amount put into a pot from an early age can make a big difference further down the line.

Hels2803

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Men and women should retire at the same age and yes we would all like that age to be lower than 65,66,67 but how are is the government going to pay for it? I'm 54 and was made redundant due to the pandemic and I'm hoping that I can retire early as my husband has already taken early retirement. We are loving life and yes we may not be wealthy but we are enjoying ourselves and money isn't everything! Enjoy life while you can.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
a longer retirement?

ok for one i am a WAPI . we was never told we was not getting state pensions till we was over 65 [in my case 66 ] til it was too late .
] we only getting what we paid into we not getting same amount as men get . I paid full stamp till had children' then when i went back i paid was was called half stamp therefore taking a decrease in what i would be paid,
3] we was asked did we wish to top up our tamp at time nothing was said about the age being raised. so i declined but when i wa able to i raised my stamp to full so in 18 months time i will get a better pension .
4] IT PAYS TO HAVE PRIVATE PENSION OR A WORKS ONE
that's how i was able to afford to retire at 60 .

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Men and women should retire at the same age and yes we would all like that age to be lower than 65,66,67 but how are is the government going to pay for it? I'm 54 and was made redundant due to the pandemic and I'm hoping that I can retire early as my husband has already taken early retirement. We are loving life and yes we may not be wealthy but we are enjoying ourselves and money isn't everything! Enjoy life while you can.
I`m sure that the source for all State Pensions is the same .The generation who are now working will pay taxes to pay for State Pensions ?. Of course it`s the same generation who we paid for to be educated for better jobs ( even if they didn`t get them ).and i think that unless they are very fortunate or come from rich families ,they will want a State Pension the same when they reach retirement age . I never complained about having to pay Insurance for retired people so don`t expect the kids today should complain about it.

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Megs my wife was same she paid wifes half stamp was told she would get full pension

lucky i could afford to pay money into her pension so she would get a better pension

All governments lie . One the reasons eu wont the uk to go in to euro so we could help pay for there pensions but they dont put up pension age

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Megs my wife was same she paid wifes half stamp was told she would get full pension

lucky i could afford to pay money into her pension so she would get a better pension

All governments lie . One the reasons eu wont the uk to go in to euro so we could help pay for there pensions but they dont put up pension age

Words hubs said we not paying any more I be ok once i reach 66 18months and counting.

Last edited:

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Perhaps another way to frame the question.
Men tend to die younger, there are many reasons for this, for example
1:Men tend to do more dangerous jobs.
2.Men tend to die more due to violence and crime.
3.There is no mass testing for colon cancer as their is for breast cancer.
4.Men tend to drink/smoke more than women.
Now how much of this is due to choice and how much due to societal pressure?
So the inequity in average age of death is the real question, not the retirement age.

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
So the inequity in average age of death is the real question, not the retirement age.
Whilst I tend to agree with you in the main, however, Cancer of the Colon is suffered by both Men and Women, perhaps you meant Prostate Cancer?. This I know from personal experience, thankfully both recovered as it was caught in time. However, I feel that there is no equality in the reasoning for Men and Women to retire at the same age 66/67 as Men tend to be in better paid jobs, but that is my personal opinion. :)

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

Don't give a fig !!!! I just want what i paid into, to be paid to me my private pension does not have a age pay out clause. and i know of men who paid in get theirs at 60 too. [ yes yes i know different rules for private].

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
I have only just read that there is a movement for unentitled, (as opposed to disentitled) women, called W.A.S.P.I. -
Women Against State Pension Inequality.
Why are they moaning now? They have got equality!
Very aptly called WASPI; with an E and an S to complete it. Stung by logic.
:rolleyes:

P.S. I did refer to the age and mortality inequality comparison from the outset. Also, it is illegal for a woman doing the same job as a man to be paid lower.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I have only just read that there is a movement for unentitled, (as opposed to disentitled) women, called W.A.S.P.I. -

P.S. I did refer to the age and mortality inequality comparison from the outset. Also, it is illegal for a woman doing the same job as a man to be paid lower.
We should never have given women the vote :D

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Don't give a fig !!!! I just want what i paid into, to be paid to me my private pension does not have a age pay out clause. and i know of men who paid in get theirs at 60 too. [ yes yes i know different rules for private].
My pensions can be payable from the age of 55, I thought that was the norm?

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score

Unfortunately in the smaller Companies, inequality re wages and promotion still goes on and the only way to combat it, is to take it to a Industrial Tribunal which can be a long and painful process and not for the weak hearted or if you have low esteem!

Back