Offensive words used in chat rooms

Do you think that offensive language is acceptable in the chat rooms?

• Total voters

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Although it has become acceptable to use vulgar and offensive terms in the chat rooms, I just wondered how many people are offended by certain words and terms used quite liberally on a regular basis.
The Lobby is, according to its suggested chat guidelines, to have only 'LIGHT sexual' references made in it.
Whereas the 40s-50s chat room, on the other hand, allows 'MILD sexual' references.
In my experience NEITHER chat room disallows SEVERE sexual references and therefore is NOT abiding by its own guidelines!
Why bother suggesting what words/terms can or cannot be used in a chat room if the policy is totally ignored, even by those allegedly controlling them?
Once upon a time, some of the words and terms used NOW would guarantee a chatter an instant ban.
Please don't say that times have changed or have progressed because if you read what is very frequently typed, they obviously have not.
I am beginning to think it is more a case of: let's not lead by example and more a case of let's be led.
I would welcome other people's thoughts on this issue.

Special_K

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Yet to see a chatroom where sex isn't a regular topic tbh. I guess the guidelines are there to be implemented if things get out of hand.

J

Jo_King

Should run a sweepstake on how long it takes for this thread to be deleted,
It's time for a new, inclusive, politically-neutral, anti-forum thread deletion movement, power to the chatters!

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Should run a sweepstake on how long it takes for this thread to be deleted,
It's time for a new, inclusive, politically-neutral, anti-forum thread deletion movement, power to the chatters!

I think we might see some airborne, porcine creatures in the very near future. ;)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Yet to see a chatroom where sex isn't a regular topic tbh. I guess the guidelines are there to be implemented if things get out of hand.

I wasn't particularly referring to sexual references used in chat rooms. More of the indiscriminate use of profanities and obscene words or terms.
Seeing as the majority of UK Chat members are aged between 30 and 50, it would not seem unlikely that their banter predominantly revolves around sexual fantasy and/or desire. Alright, admittedly, some of us enjoy a bit of amorous banter and it remains just that.
This has always been a great source of amusement in the chat rooms and will always remain such.
Fortunately, it appears that most chatters are able to contain themselves appropriately when required to do so.
Those that cannot have inevitably been the butt of communal ridicule on a regular basis.
At the end of the day, some people are proper cunts and should just **** off! :eek:
Oh, how I love I-R-O-N-Y.

xxwhite_dovexx

Hello from Florida! Be thankful !
Reaction score
I wasn't particularly referring to sexual references used in chat rooms. More of the indiscriminate use of profanities and obscene words or terms.
Seeing as the majority of UK Chat members are aged between 30 and 50, it would not seem unlikely that their banter predominantly revolves around sexual fantasy and/or desire. Alright, admittedly, some of us enjoy a bit of amorous banter and it remains just that.
This has always been a great source of amusement in the chat rooms and will always remain such.
Fortunately, it appears that most chatters are able to contain themselves appropriately when required to do so.
Those that cannot have inevitably been the butt of communal ridicule on a regular basis.
At the end of the day, some people are proper cunts and should just **** off! :eek:
Oh, how I love I-R-O-N-Y.
There is an adult site for those who use such language...ukchat.com/adult

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
There is an adult site for those who use such language...ukchat.com/adult

Do you think that it's possible that we have had a mass migration of chatters from those sites or is it just sheer coincidence? :rolleyes:

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
The rules are clear ,

Mild sexual references , Swearing is allowed ,

18+ People use the site (Adults)

If you didn't spend all your time banned for breaching them and being vile to people then you probably wouldn't be making these Pathetic (Toys out the Pram) threads.

Last edited:

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
The rules are clear ,

Mild sexual references , Swearing is allowed ,

18+ People use the site (Adults)

If you didn't spend all your time banned for breaching them and being vile to people then you probably wouldn't be making these Pathetic (Toys out the Pram) threads.

Are you being defensive because you are guilty of NOT upholding the guidelines?
You are a prime culprit of the 'doing as I say and not what I do' school of chat!!!
When people use blatantly vulgar language that would have them arrested in real life, then surely you should enforce similar restrictions, or at least show that you are prepared to show willing.
Please look up the definitions of mild and light in a reputable English dictionary in order to assist with your assessment in future.
How would you react if I called you a fucking *** in a chat room, for example? Both words are in every reputable English dictionary. :)
And finally, show me proof of being banned for using offensive language (in a chat room, that is) ..... ROLF.

*** I can wait until 'Hell freezes over', by the way ***
;)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Although it has become acceptable to use vulgar and offensive terms in the chat rooms, I just wondered how many people are offended by certain words and terms used quite liberally on a regular basis.
The Lobby is, according to its suggested chat guidelines, to have only 'LIGHT sexual' references made in it.
Whereas the 40s-50s chat room, on the other hand, allows 'MILD sexual' references.
In my experience NEITHER chat room disallows SEVERE sexual references and therefore is NOT abiding by its own guidelines!
Why bother suggesting what words/terms can or cannot be used in a chat room if the policy is totally ignored, even by those allegedly controlling them?
Once upon a time, some of the words and terms used NOW would guarantee a chatter an instant ban.
Please don't say that times have changed or have progressed because if you read what is very frequently typed, they obviously have not.
I am beginning to think it is more a case of: let's not lead by example and more a case of let's be led.
I would welcome other people's thoughts on this issue.

Hmm. More votes than thoughts. Not unexpected.
The reason why people did not proffer excuses (sorry, 'reasons') for their votes is simply because they are on-screen cowards.
It is likely that more people would have voted No if Forums were more widely-read. Unfortunately, that is the case regarding most threads offering choice.
For the record, I am opposed to offensive language being used in chat rooms. It demonstrates a lack of vocabulary. Another pending thread looming?
So ... the result is a tie. Or perhaps it is not, because MY vote is THE casting vote.
Perhaps I might avoid 'surveys' in future ... to avoid ambiguity.
:)

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
Are you being defensive because you are guilty of NOT upholding the guidelines?
You are a prime culprit of the 'doing as I say and not what I do' school of chat!!!
When people use blatantly vulgar language that would have them arrested in real life, then surely you should enforce similar restrictions, or at least show that you are prepared to show willing.
Please look up the definitions of mild and light in a reputable English dictionary in order to assist with your assessment in future.
How would you react if I called you a fucking *** in a chat room, for example? Both words are in every reputable English dictionary. :)
And finally, show me proof of being banned for using offensive language (in a chat room, that is) ..... ROLF.

*** I can wait until 'Hell freezes over', by the way ***
;)

Sorry i do no communicate with Babies who have nothing better to do than pour misery on others to stroke their own ego,

You have been replied to by Admin and i strongly suggest you stop your Admin/Mod bashing,

You seem to want to use the site but have no care for anybody but yourself.

Please stop raging.

***** Admin replying to you just yesterday ***** ......

Your continual, daily criticism of our moderators, us as Admin and the whole site in general is tedious As is yor faux intellect and air of superiority to anyone else on this chat site. You bring nothing to this site or chat. You spend you entire time trying to mock, goad, harass and antagonise other chatters and the moderators. You fail miserably by the way, every time. You aren't superior, you aren't even unique, we've seen dozens of people like you in chat rooms over the years. Your 'act' is both old and pointless. It is laughable and your ranting, rambling Forum and profile posts, together with the nonsense you type in the chat rooms may make you sit there with the look of a dog that has just finished cocking its leg up a tree, but to the rest of us you simply appear as an irritant. A small minded, unfunny individual, who looks down on others - lord alone knows why - and tries to belittle them. You are nothing here, just one of 18 thousand plus registered chatters, on this FREE private chat site. You seem to think the rules and TOU dont apply to you. They do. You assume way too much, know so little and type only to agitate. You never hold a meaningful converstion in any of our chat rooms. You will no longer be allowed to continue with your current behaviour in chat. And you will no longer treat our moderators with the disrespect and distain you have to date. Sit out your current ban, think about your entire attitude on chat and either change it, or pretty soon you will be joining that group of chatters that are no longer welcome on this chat site. The choice is yours.

Go cool off.

Last edited:

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The use of language will forever be debatable, what one person finds offensive another will laugh at.
Its how comedy, especially British comedy which tend to be darker than most, finds its humour.
The argument shouldn't be about language, it should be about context, which is a very difficult subject to broach.
I could very easily chat to someone breaking all the rules of chat because they are ok with it, they find humour in it.
However. if I took the same stance with someone else I would be crossing a line.
Mods and Admins have to find a happy medium, but I think we users have to as well.
If someone goes to far in chat with directed speech towards a person who finds it uncomfortable, that's a problem for both parties to address.
Chat, after all, is contextual and subjective, no one is a mind reader.
Do some people push chat to far, yes of course, do some people not know their limits until they are beyond them, also true.
Conversations are usually 2 sided, if someone get out of hand then, there is a block function, a reporting mechanism.
But, one must understand the context before Mods get involved.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Sorry i do no communicate with Babies who have nothing better to do than pour misery on others to stroke their own ego,

You have been replied to by Admin and i strongly suggest you stop your Admin/Mod bashing,

You seem to want to use the site but have no care for anybody but yourself.

Please stop raging.

***** Admin replying to you just yesterday ***** ......

Your continual, daily criticism of our moderators, us as Admin and the whole site in general is tedious As is yor faux intellect and air of superiority to anyone else on this chat site. You bring nothing to this site or chat. You spend you entire time trying to mock, goad, harass and antagonise other chatters and the moderators. You fail miserably by the way, every time. You aren't superior, you aren't even unique, we've seen dozens of people like you in chat rooms over the years. Your 'act' is both old and pointless. It is laughable and your ranting, rambling Forum and profile posts, together with the nonsense you type in the chat rooms may make you sit there with the look of a dog that has just finished cocking its leg up a tree, but to the rest of us you simply appear as an irritant. A small minded, unfunny individual, who looks down on others - lord alone knows why - and tries to belittle them. You are nothing here, just one of 18 thousand plus registered chatters, on this FREE private chat site. You seem to think the rules and TOU dont apply to you. They do. You assume way too much, know so little and type only to agitate. You never hold a meaningful converstion in any of our chat rooms. You will no longer be allowed to continue with your current behaviour in chat. And you will no longer treat our moderators with the disrespect and distain you have to date. Sit out your current ban, think about your entire attitude on chat and either change it, or pretty soon you will be joining that group of chatters that are no longer welcome on this chat site. The choice is yours.

Go cool off.

I was going to reply: Don't make me laugh.
But I have only one thing to say in response to this, and that is: L O L.
In the words of the late, great Conway Twitty: "It's Only Make Believe".
;)

MrFaustian

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
If you censor people you don't agree with or find offensive you can never have open debate or conversation

What someone finds offensive or rude will not be found offensive to everyone

Censorship or terms or so called hate speech is communistic in nature which modern liberalism has adopted

General rude language like constantly swearing is different it's not specifically aimed at anyone but most people would probably find it annoying if someone is constantly swearing but should they be banned -no- as you can just block them if they annoy you that much

Last edited:

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
I was going to reply: Don't make me laugh.
But I have only one thing to say in response to this, and that is: L O L.
In the words of the late, great Conway Twitty: "It's Only Make Believe".
;)

So you were going to reply "Don't make me laugh" but your reply was "LOL"

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
I am amused by the fact that those respondents to this survey who voted 'Yes' are ones that I have NEVER actually witnessed using offensive language in chat rooms.
Should we introduce a new chat term, 'closet bucketmouth', I wonder?
And, please, remember to use only Mild sexual references in the chat rooms.
:cool:

bhgxusa0123

Staff member
Reaction score
So you were going to reply "Don't make me laugh" but your reply was "LOL"

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.
I believe some here forgot that this is a PRIVATE FREE Chat site. Keyword here is private

Back