You had to be there.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Just announced that Dame Vera Lynn has died, aged 103. A great innings. I always got a lump in my throat when she sang those wartime songs that she made so very famous.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
We'll meet again....White Cliffs of dover...when I hear them they always take me back to blackouts and bombs, shrapnel and buzz bombs, sirens and evacuation, Shortages of everything: and...rationing.
Dad away in the RAF and Mum doing secret stuff somewhere away, just as I gained entry to my Grammar school, it got bombed flat, so they relocated in deepest Somerset, me with it.
We'll meet again? yes, we were lucky...we did.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
I would like to know how old you are if you can claim to be an evacuee during World War Two.
It might just put some perspective on some of your previous postings.
That apart, let us pay tribute to a woman who helped lift the spirits of the British people, and beyond, for many years, but in particular throughout the Second World War.

Let's also hope that she 'meets again' with those that she envisaged she hoped she'd do, wherever that may be.

R.I.P. Vera Lynn, the 'Forces Sweetheart'. An icon of yesteryear. Revered by many of an older generation and will surely be sadly missed.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I would like to know how old you are if you can claim to be an evacuee during World War Two.
It might just put some perspective on some of your previous postings.
That apart, let us pay tribute to a woman who helped lift the spirits of the British people, and beyond, for many years, but in particular throughout the Second World War.

Let's also hope that she 'meets again' with those that she envisaged she hoped she'd do, wherever that may be.

R.I.P. Vera Lynn, the 'Forces Sweetheart'. An icon of yesteryear. Revered by many of an older generation and will surely be sadly missed.
How old am I? you can look me up if you need an answer to such a touchy question.
Let me say that I am middle aged in the/my latest understanding of the phrase.!

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
How old am I? you can look me up if you need an answer to such a touchy question.
Let me say that I am middle aged in the/my latest understanding of the phrase.!

LOL. Apparently, you are 85 years old and class yourself as middle-aged. Do all your relatives live way beyond 100 years old then? :eek:
Next stop ... your Birth Certificate or your release papers from a very 'secure institution'.
:)

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
LOL. Apparently, you are 85 years old and class yourself as middle-aged. Do all your relatives live way beyond 100 years old then? :eek:
Next stop ... your Birth Certificate or your release papers from a very 'secure institution'.
:)
Oh! You won't know this but...a gentleman never tells!

D

DonQuixote

Sad to hear that she has died. Ironically, though, this does mean that she won't be meeting anyone again.

Back