I believe in Free speech.

Do you agree with free speech debates?

• Total voters

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Forums are for free speech and open debates........... I dont expect to be told by some chat room moderators that chatters become offended by debate. It is so childish.... if a person is not adult enough to discuss issues without becoming offended then why on earth use chat sites at all?

I will not mention any names due to not wanting to upset anyone.

Macgyver

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Forums are for free speech and open debates........... I dont expect to be told by some chat room moderators that chatters become offended by debate. It is so childish.... if a person is not adult enough to discuss issues without becoming offended then why on earth use chat sites at all?

I will not mention any names due to not wanting to upset anyone.
Good point

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Many thanks Mac .... we agree ! x

J

JustinCredible

Jude are you saying you have been censured in a chat room for something you said in the forum?

J

JustinCredible

I just asked a YAH mod about this whether you could be sanction in that room for comments elsewhere.. she replied it's.. all one site . . .
make of that what you will . . . but me being a right coward I shall be curtailing my forum comments.
Me? lose my YAH chat room privileges? never!

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I do agree with free speech. I would be an idiot to agree. But there are restrictions depending on the circumstance especially for a site like this. For instance, if i purposely abuse and harass someone, and I'm breaking site rules, then i can be be warned and reprimanded.
Sure, this chat site is about having fun and It's not to be taken seriously, as i always read to deflect bad behaviour and etiquette. But when i join this site and become a member, i have to agree to abide by the rules before i join. Technically, you can still freely break those rules and continue with that kind of behaviour, but of course there will be repercussions.

A

AGirlHasNoName

Free speech is something I personally really agree with, as long as you're debating within the chat rules, and not using it as a tool to insult or belittle anyone one then I don't see why you would be prevented from doing so. The only time in chat it would be defused is if it was causing people to start on each other., which in turn makes the chat descend into chaos. Hope that helps =]

J

JustinCredible

Are the forum and the chat rooms separate entities or is it 'all one site'?
if you harass someone on the forum shouldn't you be sanctioned on the forum for it and not when you go back into a chat room? I'm not quite getting this crossover but if this is so it has implications. This rule would in effect bar you from discussing mods on the forum because your comments could be open to misinterpretation. not a healthy situation at all. What you might construe as argument and debate in the forum a mod may regard as harassment and ban you from the chat room..how awful!

A

AGirlHasNoName

Are the forum and the chat rooms separate entities or is it 'all one site'?
if you harass someone on the forum shouldn't you be sanctioned on the forum for it and not when you go back into a chat room? I'm not quite getting this crossover but if this is so it has implications. This rule would in effect bar you from discussing mods on the forum because your comments could be open to misinterpretation. not a healthy situation at all. What you might construe as argument and debate in the forum a mod may regard as harassment and ban you from the chat room..how awful!

Has anyone actually had that happen?

J

JustinCredible

I think the battle lines are still being drawn but if it happens to me i'll let you know . . . . . . . .

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Who the fk is harrassing anyone............not me. I just say wat I think that is what chat rooms and forums are for.

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I just asked a YAH mod about this whether you could be sanction in that room for comments elsewhere.. she replied it's.. all one site . . .
make of that what you will . . . but me being a right coward I shall be curtailing my forum comments.
Me? lose my YAH chat room privileges? never!

You make me pmsl Justin ...... I am sure someone will keep ya seat warm in YAH oooo!

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
..... Wojcik you may need a nanny state but I dont.

Kate

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of consequences.

Just sa'in.

Reaction score
By freedom of speech I think we mean sharing our opinions with one another or discussing something, so long as what is said is non-offensive then we should be allowed to talk. Disagreeing with someone isn't cause for censorship.

Elea

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
By freedom of speech I think we mean sharing our opinions with one another or discussing something, so long as what is said is non-offensive then we should be allowed to talk. Disagreeing with someone isn't cause for censorship.

If I am compassionate, I might choose not to offend. But there should be no law against it. Most people take offence at something.

Many Muslims believe immunity from offence should overrule freedom of speech. Fundamentalist Muslims kill those who offend Islam with criticism or cartoons of their prophet. And many who kowtow to this threat cloak their fear with feigned concern about Muslim offence.

Fascists use the pretext of offence against common decency to police free speech. They clothe this restriction as the wish to protect the hoi polloi from offensive opinions. The hoi polloi, as we all know, are incapable of dispassionate reflection and anaemically sensitive to contrary opinions.

The militant far left riot, deny speakers platforms, and incinerate campuses because some speaker offends them.

As Elizabeth Browning said of the word "good" to describe people: "The word's grown dangerous."

Sausages

Sausages
Reaction score
If I am compassionate, I might choose not to offend. But there should be no law against it. Most people take offence at something.

Many Muslims believe immunity from offence should overrule freedom of speech. Fundamentalist Muslims kill those who offend Islam with criticism or cartoons of their prophet. And many who kowtow to this threat cloak their fear with feigned concern about Muslim offence.

Fascists use the pretext of offence against common decency to police free speech. They clothe this restriction as the wish to protect the hoi polloi from offensive opinions. The hoi polloi, as we all know, are incapable of dispassionate reflection and anaemically sensitive to contrary opinions.

The militant far left riot, deny speakers platforms, and incinerate campuses because some speaker offends them.

As Elizabeth Browning said of the word "good" to describe people: "The word's grown dangerous."
I’m with you on that Elea

Back