COVID-19 (coronavirus) information central

Stanthropical

De̸͍̺̺̓̾m̶̶̶ͫͫod̶̶̶ͩͩu̶̶̶ͧͧLaᴛ̶̶ⷮo̵̢̦̟͋̾̓r
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is for discussions, latest news and updates, not banter, jokes conspiracy theories or memes.

What is Coronavirus?

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a new virus that had not been previously identified in humans.
The virus causes respiratory illness (like the flu) with symptoms such as a cough, fever and in more severe cases, pneumonia. You can protect yourself by washing your hands frequently and avoiding touching your face.

How it spreads

The new coronavirus spreads primarily through contact with an infected person when they cough or sneeze, or through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose.

Symptoms

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is characterized by mild symptoms including a runny nose, sore throat, cough, and fever. Illness can be more severe for some people and can lead to pneumonia or breathing difficulties.
More rarely, the disease can be fatal. Older people, and people with other medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, or heart disease), may be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill.

People may experience:
  • runny nose
  • sore throat
  • cough
  • fever
  • difficulty breathing (severe cases)
Prevention

There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

You can reduce your risk of infection if you:
Clean hands frequently with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water
Cover nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with tissue or flexed elbow
Avoid close contact (1 metre or 3 feet) with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms

Treatments

There is no specific medicine to prevent or treat coronavirus disease (COVID-19). People may need supportive care to help them breathe.

Self care

If you have mild symptoms, stay at home until you’ve recovered. You can relieve your symptoms if you:
  • rest and sleep
  • keep warm
  • drink plenty of liquids
  • use a room humidifier or take a hot shower to help ease a sore throat and cough
Medical treatments

If you develop a fever, cough, and have difficulty breathing, promptly seek medical care. Call in advance and tell your health provider of any recent travel or recent contact with travelers.

Stanthropical

Staff member
Reaction score

Stanthropical

Staff member
Reaction score
covid-flu-cold-allergies-symptoms.jpeg

Miab

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, (hope I,m doing this right.. I,m new and hopeless with technology)
I was wondering if anybody else has received the same.. My mum was phoned approx. 10 days ago by NHS and told she would be receiving a letter re She should be self isolating for 12 weeks due to her existing health issues. To date the letter hasn't arrived, and I,m trying to convince mum to stay inside ( she thinks it may have been a mistake call and is needing to go for a food shop (we want to order online). Is this maybe a mistake? Or just a delay with the letter).. Mum has had Autoimmune illness, heart problems, arthritis and a crumbling spine, also multiple allergies and is on high dose steroids and morphine),, I have read a few online information and all say autoimmune illness and steroids, heart disease. arthritis makes fighting this virus very hard to beat, so I,m worried sick mum will try to go out. I,m hoping its just a delay in the letter and hopefully it will appear soon.. Until then I will do my best to keep her inside and safe.

Reaction score
Anyone aged 70 or over or anyone under 70 with underlying health issues is supposed to take shielding measures, by shielding they mean stay at home. The NHS is supposed to be contacting people to advise them on what to do, if not then anyone with any worries should contact their doctor. 12 weeks is the time they say is needed for this virus to pass. And welcome to the site, your technological skills have so far proven themselves to be up to the job.

Miab

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone aged 70 or over or anyone under 70 with underlying health issues is supposed to take shielding measures, by shielding they mean stay at home. The NHS is supposed to be contacting people to advise them on what to do, if not then anyone with any worries should contact their doctor. 12 weeks is the time they say is needed for this virus to pass. And welcome to the site, your technological skills have so far proven themselves to be up to the job.

Thank you for your reply breakwake
I did try calling mums GP for verification and when the letter may arrive. But its impossible to get through to speak with anybody there right now. As mum is over 70 with certain health conditions, then we will make sure that she does the right thing and stays in. I appreciate your help in clarifying some of my worries.
Stay safe everyone!

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply breakwake
I did try calling mums GP for verification and when the letter may arrive. But its impossible to get through to speak with anybody there right now. As mum is over 70 with certain health conditions, then we will make sure that she does the right thing and stays in. I appreciate your help in clarifying some of my worries.
Stay safe everyone!
Tell your mum the phone call from the NHS was enough for her to start 12 week shielding, the promised letter may well have got lost in transit. I have a grown up daughter (showing my age here) who got a call from her consultant at the hospital (decent of him) telling her to isolate for 12 weeks and on no account to go out. She also never received any further confirmation from the NHS. If your mum is still unsure she could try contacting her doctor through the 'ask my GP' service on line that most health centres run.

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Hi, (hope I,m doing this right.. I,m new and hopeless with technology)
I was wondering if anybody else has received the same.. My mum was phoned approx. 10 days ago by NHS and told she would be receiving a letter re She should be self isolating for 12 weeks due to her existing health issues. To date the letter hasn't arrived, and I,m trying to convince mum to stay inside ( she thinks it may have been a mistake call and is needing to go for a food shop (we want to order online). Is this maybe a mistake? Or just a delay with the letter).. Mum has had Autoimmune illness, heart problems, arthritis and a crumbling spine, also multiple allergies and is on high dose steroids and morphine),, I have read a few online information and all say autoimmune illness and steroids, heart disease. arthritis makes fighting this virus very hard to beat, so I,m worried sick mum will try to go out. I,m hoping its just a delay in the letter and hopefully it will appear soon.. Until then I will do my best to keep her inside and safe.
Hiya Miab.

My sister also has an autoimmune condition and has been on medication similar to your mum's as well as others for decades now. She began working from home just before we were all asked to do the same because she realises this is a very dangerous illness for the likes of her (and your mum). She is an ambassador for the condition she has (nothing to do with her work) and is very knowledgeable about it and the risks / dangers associated. I think if she rightly realised she needed to self-isolate from an early stage, then it was a wise thing to do. I hope your mum does the same!

I can imagine your mum would be more easily kept in without an argument if this letter had arrived; alas, at one stage, the WHOLE country was told that every household would receive a letter from the Prime Minister but I have yet to speak to anyone who has had one. In these troubled times, when resources are limited, I don't suppose everything can be achieved. I hope you and your mum stay safe - try to keep her absolutely isolated! x

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
""More than one in five deaths being seen in England and Wales is linked to coronavirus, figures show.

The Office for National Statistics data showed the virus was mentioned on 3,475 death certificates in the week ending 3 April.

It helped push the total number of deaths seen in that week to more than 16,000 - a record high and 6,000 more than expected at this time of year.!!

Perhaps we need a few more immigrants?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It's only now that they've started talking about the deaths in nursing/care homes. Some care homes are in total lock down, no one can come or go,
staff, residents, visitors....no one. They've just been abandoned. There's a clear obsession in this country with the NHS. Mistakes have certainly been made and are still being made. NHS bed capacity here in the N East is only at 50%, and yet in Washington (UK) they're converting a huge warehouse into a hospital that they admit may never be used. :rolleyes:

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Not yet megs others need it before me im healthy even tho i diabetics i rather others who need it before me get it first

And i dont go out except for a walk im doing what government ask of people :)

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Not yet megs others need it before me im healthy even tho i diabetics i rather others who need it before me get it first

And i dont go out except for a walk im doing what government ask of people :)

❤️❤️❤️ ❤️❤️❤️ ❤️❤️❤️ xxxxxx

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Anyone had confirmation on their injection date?
Yep :) and can`t wait to get that 4" needle stuck into my arm. I wish they`d stop showing it on TV !. I did a quick check and it`ll come out the other side of my arm and probably stab me in the chest :D.
My querie is ,does one get a cuppa tea afterwards ?.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Yep :) and can`t wait to get that 4" needle stuck into my arm. I wish they`d stop showing it on TV !. I did a quick check and it`ll come out the other side of my arm and probably stab me in the chest :D.
My querie is ,does one get a cuppa tea afterwards ?.

You want a biccy with it too? if they did.

Back