Schools Closure

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I just wondered what people here think about the schools closing now because of the Coronavirus. Is it people who have childcare hassles to contend with who are mainly against the closures? Is it those who don't have kids and are not directly affected who think they should close? Or are there some for whom this is a bliddy nightmare, but they can appreciate it's for the greater good? Does anyone here think it's a bit batty to close them tomorrow for KS3 and stay open for KS4 and 5 but allow those KS3 kids to attend who have parents who work in education, the NHS, emergency services etc. (loads of them), as well as those who receive free school meals / are otherwise at risk?

T

ToughType

What i heard the schools are not closing for all the Children, health workers/hospital staff/police/delivery drivers ect, children will go to school....... and children at risk will be looked after and free school meals but i might be wrong

B

Bad_Influence

What i heard the schools are not closing for all the Children, health workers/hospital staff/police/delivery drivers ect, children will go to school....... and children at risk will be looked after and free school meals but i might be wrong

You're not wrong. But I think it depends on who is deemed a 'key worker'. The company I work for provides carers to homes of the elderly and infirm and we don't know if they are included or not. And will they be allowed to leave their homes in the case of any potential lockdown. I know it's a confusing time for all and information is hard to come by, but at present it seems even the CQC don't know the answers.

T

ToughType

You're not wrong. But I think it depends on who is deemed a 'key worker'. The company I work for provides carers to homes of the elderly and infirm and we don't know if they are included or not. And will they be allowed to leave their homes in the case of any potential lockdown. I know it's a confusing time for all and information is hard to come by, but at present it seems even the CQC don't know the answers.
yeah i guess so, strange times ATM, lets hope is not going to be to long.worrying times for the Elderly too huh.

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Yes - this is what's happening, as I said... I wondered if anyone thought this was defeating the object - sending those kids in.

B

Bad_Influence

yeah i guess so, strange times ATM, lets hope is not going to be to long.worrying times for the Elderly too huh.

Very much so. They are struggling now but I think the isolation alone will be a bigger problem for many if it continues. Even though some of our clients only ever see their carers, many have family and friends that now can't visit. Loneliness can kill just as much as a virus sometimes. :(

Though we now think the carers will be classed as key workers. so that's at least something.

B

Bad_Influence

Yes - this is what's happening, as I said... I wondered if anyone thought this was defeating the object - sending those kids in.

There will be mainly only a couple of kids per class at most so no, not defeating the object I think. And in the big scheme of things we need key workers to be able to work or it'll all go to hell in a handcart.

T

ToughType

Very much so. They are struggling now but I think the isolation alone will be a bigger problem for many if it continues. Even though some of our clients only ever see their carers, many have family and friends that now can't visit. Loneliness can kill just as much as a virus sometimes. :(

Though we now think the carers will be classed as key workers. so that's at least something.
i agree i know one of my friends suffers depression and is dreading being sent home, everyone suffers in this epidemic

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
There will be mainly only a couple of kids per class at most so no, not defeating the object I think. And in the big scheme of things we need key workers to be able to work or it'll all go to hell in a handcart.
Yay! An opinion! I am just interested in what people think about it - it's been all I have thought about since I found out at lunchtime. Am all jittery:confused:

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I just wondered what people here think about the schools closing now because of the Coronavirus. Is it people who have childcare hassles to contend with who are mainly against the closures? Is it those who don't have kids and are not directly affected who think they should close? Or are there some for whom this is a bliddy nightmare, but they can appreciate it's for the greater good? Does anyone here think it's a bit batty to close them tomorrow for KS3 and stay open for KS4 and 5 but allow those KS3 kids to attend who have parents who work in education, the NHS, emergency services etc. (loads of them), as well as those who receive free school meals / are otherwise at risk?

It's been a mixture of opinions and views based on this, both from parents and teachers. There are those who have already taken their kids out of school, even before the announcement of the schools closing this Friday. I personally think we have to do everything in our power to keep the country safe, especially our vulnerable and our elderly, who are absolutely terrified over this global pandemic that is unfolding more and more each day.
I've taken steps the past few weeks to stock up on food because I've expected an eventual lock down lasting fourteen weeks. So I've been taking this very seriously as more and more cases have been revealed across the globe. Unfortunately, people have died, so I'm concerned for my grandfather, who is in his late eighties, and is in that high risk age bracket. So I've been steering clear of any visits, just in case i infect him.
This is one of those situations where no one is going to be happy. Everyone will struggle in some shape or form during the next few weeks or even months. But i will do my part to protect others who are more vulnerable than i am, and i hope people do the same.

B

Bad_Influence

It's been a mixture of opinions and views based on this, both from parents and teachers. There are those who have already taken their kids out of school, even before the announcement of the schools closing this Friday. I personally think we have to do everything in our power to keep the country safe, especially our vulnerable and our elderly, who are absolutely terrified over this global pandemic that is unfolding more and more each day.
I've taken steps the past few weeks to stock up on food because I've expected an eventual lock down lasting fourteen weeks. So I've been taking this very seriously as more and more cases have been revealed across the globe. Unfortunately, people have died, so I'm concerned for my grandfather, who is in his late eighties, and is in that high risk age bracket. So I've been steering clear of any visits, just in case i infect him.
This is one of those situations where no one is going to be happy. Everyone will struggle in some shape or form during the next few weeks or even months. But i will do my part to protect others who are more vulnerable than i am, and i hope people do the same.

While I agree we now must do whatever is needed, I will be outlining my opinion of the global approach on another forum later. :D

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
While I agree we now must do whatever is needed, I will be outlining my opinion of the global approach on another forum later. :D

Absolutely. I've been trying to gather as much information as i can on the subject. Keeping my eyes open and waiting.

Back