The Corona thing

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Why, I wonder, are we so keen to get our Brits out of China, and they keen to keep them?
My son is currently locked in his quarters, with wife and child and knows not when he will be able to go outside, even for shopping and other essentials.
I am glad he's as safe as possible and ...that he is not coming here any time soon.

Esoterix

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those already in China are likely better off staying there, self-quarantined. If they were to travel back to the UK, they'd only be quarantined here as well.

A

AGirlHasNoName

If you look at the newest case of Coronavirus in the UK, it was contracted in Singapore. We can't stop this coming in unless we stop all flights from all places with a lot of confirmed cases. Which we don't do as it has a huge effect on our economy, Chinese tourists bring 700million a year into the UK.

Esoterix

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's crucial differences between China and the UK. Firstly, the scale of the issue. The UK currently has 3 confirmed cases, while China has 28,000.
Patients suffering in the UK are being immediately isolated and the govt are working to trace anyone the infected patients came into close contact with.
Whereas China's still playing catch-up and fighting to get on top of the outbreak.

The question isn't whether the UK can handle this, it's whether China can contain the outbreak.

B

Bad_Influence

FFS Dong... when you screw up a post at least delete it. Don't just leave it there stacking up please.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Ah! Sorry. You have to make allowances for a newbie, don't you?
I was trying to say that the way the Chinese are enforcing solitary confinement for any showing signs of Corona is er, interesting.

B

Bad_Influence

Thank you.

It's more concerning that the Chinese Gov't tried to cover up the claims by the doctor who first brought Coronavirus to the attention of people.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Yep. It's the whistleblowers of this world who get the rough end.
Brave people!

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
[IQUOTE="Dong, post: 34451, member: 22201"]Yep. It's the whistleblowers of this world who get the rough end.
Brave people![/QUOTE]
I commented above on the ways the Chinese were putting Corona suspects into quarantine. It is done with the best of intentions but, to forcibly drag them there?
How forceful must we be should this become a pandemic?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It was on the news this morning that one of the Brits in quarantine wanted to leave the hospital before the 14 day period was up. New emergency powers have just been brought in to make him stay, by force if necessary.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
It was on the news this morning that one of the Brits in quarantine wanted to leave the hospital before the 14 day period was up. New emergency powers have just been brought in to make him stay, by force if necessary.
Yet not a squeak from the 'Human Rights' supporters? Remarkable!

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Watched a doc. on the Beeb last night, about the flu epidemic of 1914/18. Made you think.
It was called Spanish flu but was in fact a present
from the good old USA.
Millions of GIs on troop ships brought it across the Atlantic as they aided our war effort, with deadly results.
Millions died worldwide, it wasn't really understood then, the pictures of the sick spewing up their lungs was gruesome, to say the least.
Happily, Corona has not mutated and is still less severe than 'Spanish flu'.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Watched a doc. on the Beeb last night, about the flu epidemic of 1914/18. Made you think.
It was called Spanish flu but was in fact a present
from the good old USA.
Millions of GIs on troop ships brought it across the Atlantic as they aided our war effort, with deadly results.
Millions died worldwide, it wasn't really understood then, the pictures of the sick spewing up their lungs was gruesome, to say the least.
Happily, Corona has not mutated and is still less severe than 'Spanish flu'.
Speaking of Corona...anyone remember when it was delivered. like a milk-round in screw topped bottles? Fizzy, orange, lemon cherry and a host of other fizzy drinks were brought to your door.
Corona was very popular, I bet it is glad to be out of business now!

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Speaking of Corona...anyone remember when it was delivered. like a milk-round in screw topped bottles?
I vaguely remember Corona. I was confusing it with Cresta and it's catchphrase 'It's frothyyyyyyy man' which I loved, but I well remember those halcyon days of the lemonade deliveries! Now long gone thanks to cheap rola-cola from the supermarkets. Funny thing is, next door still get their milk delivered, how avant garde! :cool:

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I vaguely remember Corona. I was confusing it with Cresta and it's catchphrase 'It's frothyyyyyyy man' which I loved, but I well remember those halcyon days of the lemonade deliveries! Now long gone thanks to cheap rola-cola from the supermarkets. Funny thing is, next door still get their milk delivered, how avant garde! :cool:
So do we. It is an act almost of charity in that it costs almost thrice as much as in the supermarket.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Back on subject...… are we being too lackadaisical in our approach to Coronavirus?
Many other countries have closed borders, stopped transport, enforced isolation, and as an extreme,,, in N Korea they shot their first Corona suspect.
We are allowing bus and train and plane-loads of people who may have been in contact with a carrier, in to our country, and we are not even making a list of who they are...(James O'Brian, this am).
Getting worried?

B

Bad_Influence

Back on subject...… are we being too lackadaisical in our approach to Coronavirus?
Many other countries have closed borders, stopped transport, enforced isolation, and as an extreme,,, in N Korea they shot their first Corona suspect.
We are allowing bus and train and plane-loads of people who may have been in contact with a carrier, in to our country, and we are not even making a list of who they are...(James O'Brian, this am).
Getting worried?

I'm kinda hoping this is going to be an ELE. It's about time Mother Nature reclaimed what is hers.
But yes we are too relaxed about it, but should we be surprised?

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I'm kinda hoping this is going to be an ELE. It's about time Mother Nature reclaimed what is hers.
But yes we are too relaxed about it, but should we be surprised?
And if Corona was even 50% effective...… would there be more room on my bus?

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
With all the attention given to Coronavirus I have not heard a peep about seasonal flu.
Has the vaccine actually worked this year, or is Corona more than enough to deal with?

Back