valentines day

JJ50

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Tomorrow will be no different to any other day, the fact it is valentine's day doesn't impinge on our horizon, thank goodness.

JJ50

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
What does the word 'love' actually mean. To me it is liking someone one a lot. I couldn't love anyone I didn't like, including family.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
theres no such thing as love LOL its more anger
I think we've all been there lol, but I do agree with what John Cleese once said, - I'd rather have 5 marriages lasting 7 years than one of 35 years.

JJ50

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
One marriage is more than enough for me. When I was 13 I declared I was never going to get married, I had no interest in boys in a romantic way, although I enjoyed boys toys and going about with them, as they were much more fun in the adventure stakes than girls. However, I met my husband to be in 1965 when I was 15 and he was nearly 18 and just about to go to uni. His much older brother and his wife were friends of my parents, they had brought him over to my home island on a visit. I was fascinated by him as he was very different to the other lads with whom I was acquainted, possibly because he more than likely has Asperger's Syndrome. Our 'courtship' was mainly conducted by letters and phone calls. He would come over to visit me during my school and his university holidays. We got engaged when I was 18, my father had four daughters, of which I am the eldest, to get shot of, so any guy with prospects who came calling was welcome to take us off his hands. We married in 1969 when I was 19 and he was 22 and I move to the UK. We had planned out our marriage and what we wished to accomplish. We decided we would have three birth children and then adopt a child less fortunate than our own. I was to be in charge of the home and raise the children, and he would follow the academic route to success. I had no interest in a career, so that was fine by me.

We had the three birth daughters, I was sterilised when I was 26 as I didn't wish to get pregnant again. When our highly intelligent girls were old enough to understand, we discussed the possibility of adopting another child, they were all for it and gave us the go ahead. In the end we adopted two boys and fostered a third. The first adopted son (now nearly 47) has moderate learning difficulties, but managed his schooling and has a job, the second son (35 next month) has Down's syndrome with more severe learning problems, I home schooled him, he has two part time jobs. The foster son (51) also has DS, he was 16 when he came to us, and stayed 9 years, we lost touch with him.

My husband climbed the career ladder, gaining 3 more degrees after we married, including a PH.D. Our girls now aged 50 in June, 46 and 44 did well at school they all went to university. The eldest, now a vicar, after starting out as a teacher has two degrees and is just finishing off her PH.D. The younger two are married with children who are growing up fast 18, 16, 15, 14, and nearly 12.

Sadly my husband had a brain haemorrhage in 2006, which has trashed half his brain. It frustrates him that he can't do anything of an academic nature anymore, but he in doing his best to put as much back in his brain as he possibly can. He is still a lot brighter than me, which wouldn't be hard.:D He has some other health problems as well, and I am officially his carer, although he doesn't recognise me as such, he doesn't reckon he needs one, MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Apart from my husband's illness, I wouldn't wish to change anything about my married life, we have a wonderful family, our girls are very supportive and ensure I don't screw up too badly.

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
What does the word 'love' actually mean. To me it is liking someone one a lot. I couldn't love anyone I didn't like, including family.
Interesting question, that. I think that, to me, it might be shown by what I would do for someone, or for whom I would cry if they died. So like my poor, dead dog: I KNOW I loved her. I would have sacrificed something for her sake and I cried for days, then intermittently for weeks... Same goes for my Nan, my friend and others.

S

Scotsbabe2020

Interesting question, that. I think that, to me, it might be shown by what I would do for someone, or for whom I would cry if they died. So like my poor, dead dog: I KNOW I loved her. I would have sacrificed something for her sake and I cried for days, then intermittently for weeks... Same goes for my Nan, my friend and others.
same here my dog was 15, it broke my heart, could remember the happy days when my Yorkshire terrier used to chase staffys lol, the one ive got now is my angel, he recognises my disabilitys andfollows me about 24/7 days , even to the toilet!

JJ50

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score

I have never ever felt an grief when anyone has died, not even my favourite grandmother of whom I was very fond. I could never feel grief for an animal of another species.

B

Bad_Influence

I lay on the floor sobbing for half an hour with my German Shepherd when we had to have him put down, and I am not embarrassed to admit it. To not feel grief at the loss of a loved one is totally beyond my comprehension.

JJ50

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I lay on the floor sobbing for half an hour with my German Shepherd when we had to have him put down, and I am not embarrassed to admit it. To not feel grief at the loss of a loved one is totally beyond my comprehension.

I find it strange that anyone could cry when an animal dies. We had a number of German Shepherds when I was a kid, they were there to be useful, which they were.

S

Scotsbabe2020

haha that lobby room, love the scots lassie, blush blush

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I have 'liked' this, which I thought was a bit insensitive! But you know what I mean... I mean I agree and I gettitt. x

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I find it strange that anyone could cry when an animal dies. We had a number of German Shepherds when I was a kid, they were there to be useful, which they were.
I saw our animals as useful, too, which they were but I grew to love them as well. I can't seem to help it!

JJ50

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I am sickened by people who treat animals of other species as surrogate humans. Some cretins even dress them up or dye their fur, I think that is cruel. I also think it wrong for owners not to have an animal put down if it has an incurable illness, and is for the owner's benefit not that of the animal.

S

Scotsbabe2020

Bad-Influence, what would u rather, to see your dog in pain every day,or put to rest?, it broke my heart

Back