Balloons in memory of a loved one

J

JustinCredible

There seems to be a fashion for releasing balloons in memory of a loved one.. All those balloons only reach a certain height before they burst with most of the fragments..bits of string and pendants falling back to earth.. the rest end up in the ocean. All a danger to wildlife.
There are better ways to honour your loved ones. Rather than release litter into the air why not plant a tree in someone’s honour?..donate time or money to a cause that touched them..practise random acts of kindness . . .though they may be gone from the world your loved one’s legacy is in those they leave behind so if you’re looking to release anything into the world let it be kindness – not balloons.

J

JustinCredible

i was thinking of paying for a bench in the park where they used to go a lot
Yes I like the idea of a bench in memory of a loved one.. i was sat on such a bench the other day admiring the view and grateful to be able to do so. The words on the the brass plaque must have come straight from the heart.. something along the lines of " Death leaves a heartache no one can heal..love leaves memories no one can steal' beautiful words . .

U_N_Owen

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Chinese lanterns are far worse that balloons. Balloons are just harmful to the environment. Despite my protestations Mrs Owen disobeyed me! and joined the neighbours in sending up some of these lanterns into the sky. Who knows where they came down and if any fires were started . . . . .. .

Buggleskelly

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
A mother and her two grown-up daughters have admitted illegally setting off Chinese lanterns that destroyed a German zoo's monkey enclosure - killing 30 animals. The three women lit five paper Chinese lanterns and launched them into the sky on New Year's Eve, despite a ban on the objects in the area. Five orangutans, one gorilla and dozens of other monkeys, bats and birds were killed in New Year's Day fire.
How those animals must have suffered.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The cost of funerals themselves are not cheap. I do however think it's a nice idea to create a memorial for deceased family members. I think a bench is a nice idea.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I want my ashes to help grow trees.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
My husband and I have no wish to have funerals, we want our bodies taken straight to the crem after any useful bits have been removed.

And both your wishes should be respected in that regard.

Buggleskelly

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
trees are the reason the bush fires are raging out of control in australia. theres an argument for fewer trees.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
trees are the reason the bush fires are raging out of control in australia. theres an argument for fewer trees.[/QU

Trees are vital. As the biggest plants on the planet, they give us oxygen, store carbon, stabilise the soil and give life to the world's wildlife. They also provide us with the materials for tools and shelter.

IglooLass

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Yes I like the idea of a bench in memory of a loved one.. i was sat on such a bench the other day admiring the view and grateful to be able to do so. The words on the the brass plaque must have come straight from the heart.. something along the lines of " Death leaves a heartache no one can heal..love leaves memories no one can steal' beautiful words . .[/QUO

My friends organised the release of 48 butterflies in memeory of my wife (one for each year of her life), They were released from our favourite beauty spot. Beautiful and poignant and a great and fitting tribute.
Far better than Chinese Lanterns which, as beautiful as they are, do cause environmental issues.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
People are being encouraged to plant trees to combat global warming.

Farmers have been encouraged to plant more trees in their fields. However, they've debated against this and stated that it would be unproductive in terms of affecting agriculture. I think if we're going to go about this Climate Change situation in the next decade, then we need to include everyone, and not just a select minority group.

Back