Books you read that changed your life?

leo_Invictus

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Growing up in London not being ethnically English or feeling affiliated to the ''nation'' or a set culture these 3 books made me make sense of the world around me it helped me gain focus and understand my environment and the ever changing world around me

The Art of Seduction - A brutal and rational book dealing with the insight and thought process involved in seduction, manipulation and just having a sense about yourself as a man or woman. It reset my thought process on how to talk, dictate, explain and express myself it's also pretty cold and brutal as many techniques involve raw Psychology and mental power struggles you go through against other people in your life it helps you understand there moves against yours as if it was a chess game brutally strategic and at sometimes cold but brutally honesty

The Art of War Sun Tzu - This book is just amazing teaches you about the art of war on a small scale of how to deal with a frenemy in life or on a larger scale as a military tactician and how to maneuver your troops in what ever walk of life you are in preparation, research knowing your strengths and weaknesses ect compared to the competition it helped my brain comprehend 'the battle' leading to many others.

The Decline of the West (Oswald Splenger) - There are a few different volumes his comparisons 'current civilization of the west' to events that lead to the rise and fall of empire and civilizations throughout history in some ways showed me how history always repeats itself and knowing this helps you understand mass media, social engineering and why some people have critical thinking skills whilst others lack that ability. Teaches you about cycles and power struggles and how power is maintained by certain groups and how it effects dynamics and structure in rising or falling civilizations or nations.

any books you read that blew your mind or made you completely change a world view or an ideological perspective?

Last edited:
B

Bad_Influence

I wouldn't claim they changed my life, but the "A Child Call It" trilogy by Dave Peltzer certainly opened my eyes to child abuse, it's effects, and the strength of character some people possess. A heartbreaking but very powerful set of books that I'd recommend to everyone.

Oh and IT by Stephen King... obviously. :D

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
The King James Bible.!

After reading the very first sentence in Genesis.

[1] In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. [2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. ... [4] And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. [5] And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night.

I realised i was an Athiest.!

W

Wren

I wouldn't claim they changed my life, but the "A Child Call It" trilogy by Dave Peltzer certainly opened my eyes to child abuse, it's effects, and the strength of character some people possess. A heartbreaking but very powerful set of books that I'd recommend to everyone.

Oh and IT by Stephen King... obviously. :D
Cried in this book , she was a monster

W

Wren

To be fair , I think all childhood stories from Hans Christian , shaped my like in books, so maybe traditional tales is my vote :D

B

Bad_Influence

King , Pet Sematary, :p
IT scared me and the movie gives me the .....shocks! , creepy as,,,

Oi you. Pennywise is a nice guy, he just hired a very bad PR company :D:D:D
The book was excellent, I’m not really a fan of King but Pet Cemetery and Christine were both superb. I prefer Dead Koontz over King.

(Obviously I mean the Tim Curry version. Skarsgaard was good in the new one but Curry will ALWAYS be Pennywise. )

leo_Invictus

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
If we talking fictional books then watership down.

It's probably the only fictional book I read without being forced by a teacher to read in class

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Oh I love threads like this, they get you thinking. Unfortunately after thinking for a while, I couldn't think of a book that changed my life. However i was flicking through a book the otther day about Airey Neave, you know, the MP who was murdered by terrorists in the 70s. I was staggered when I read that he was the first British POW to escape from Colditz, now that did get me thinking. It just struck me how fragile life can be. To plan and carry out a daring escape to get home only to then end up being blown to pieces by a bomb planted in your own car.. . . .. ..

Hughie

Take these times easy.be safe.Help others.
Reaction score
Oh I love threads like this, they get you thinking. Unfortunately after thinking for a while, I couldn't think of a book that changed my life. However i was flicking through a book the otther day about Airey Neave, you know, the MP who was murdered by terrorists in the 70s. I was staggered when I read that he was the first British POW to escape from Colditz, now that did get me thinking. It just struck me how fragile life can be. To plan and carry out a daring escape to get home only to then end up being blown to pieces by a bomb planted in your own car.. . . .. ..
i remember this at the time,And my dad telling me what youve just posted,I think but not sure that Colditz was on the tv at the time,.Hughie

Hughie

Reaction score
The King James Bible.!

After reading the very first sentence in Genesis.

[1] In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. [2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. ... [4] And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. [5] And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night.

I realised i was an Athiest.!
And the wiseman said lets go to the pub and talk about this lol

Hughie

Reaction score
If we talking fictional books then watership down.

It's probably the only fictional book I read without being forced by a teacher to read in class
i read it too my kids they loved it then we watch the film,reading it first for them made it even better,Hughie

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.
showed me girls can do things as well as boys.

Sgt_Pepper

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not a great fan of fiction, I'm more into biography and factual. I don't read paper books anymore, not for any environmental reason (although there may be a bit), just that with a kindle reader it's just so much easier to ditch a book you don't like rather than having to dispose of the paper book you don't like. Countless books I could name that has had an effect on me so I may contribute to this thread quite a bit. Right now, off the top of my head 'The Bounty' by Caroline Alexander was a surprisingly good read with a lot of historical fact written into it. After reading it, I visited 'Spithead' which is close to Portsmouth harbour where the trial and execution of some of the captured Bounty crew were tried and hanged. It gave me a real sense of history just being there.

Zelda

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
True, this book didnt change my Life but it holds up. It's about knowing your opponents, strategy, skills, tactics.

The Art of War Sun Tzu - This book is just amazing teaches you about the art of war on a small scale of how to deal with a frenemy in life or on a larger scale as a military tactician and how to maneuver your troops in what ever walk of life you are in preparation, research knowing your strengths and weaknesses ect compared to the competition it helped my brain comprehend 'the battle' leading to many others.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I'm not a great fan of fiction, I'm more into biography and factual. I don't read paper books anymore, not for any environmental reason (although there may be a bit), just that with a kindle reader it's just so much easier to ditch a book you don't like rather than having to dispose of the paper book you don't like. Countless books I could name that has had an effect on me so I may contribute to this thread quite a bit. Right now, off the top of my head 'The Bounty' by Caroline Alexander was a surprisingly good read with a lot of historical fact written into it. After reading it, I visited 'Spithead' which is close to Portsmouth harbour where the trial and execution of some of the captured Bounty crew were tried and hanged. It gave me a real sense of history just being there.
Yes the Bounty is a fascinating story, I remember reading about it some time ago. The plight of the mutineers that evaded capture remained a mystery for 20 years till they were discovered on Pitcairn a remote south sea island. All that was found on the island were two mutineers and the Tahitian women they'd brought with them. The rest of the crew were dead, fighting over the women no doubt (typical men). Nearly 250 years later there are around 50 people still living on Pitcairn Island, all descended from those mutineers/Tahitian women.
Now I've always wanted to visit that island paradise. That was till I read about half the men being convicted of child sex abuse crimes. It would appear that the culture of the island is that because of the shortage of women children are deemed 'available' so visiting that island is definitely a no no. . . . . . .

B

Bad_Influence

I am glad that you ask something I am working on with my site
Economic Reality(May 2016) Politcal Reality(August 2016) by Howard Marks and Paper titled 'Economic Reality meets Political Reality' January 30, 2019 @Oaktree Capital Managements, L.P.
Seven Types of Atheism (2018). ISBN 0241199417 Chapter 3 A Strange Faith In Science pages 66-70 'Transhumanism as Techno-monotheism'
Straw Dogs: Thoughts on Humans and Other Animals (2002). ISBN 1-86207-512-3 Chapter 4 Unsaved In a Phantomat page 144
The Immortalization Commission: Science and the Strange Quest to Cheat Death (2011). ISBN 978-1-84614-219-2 page 118 and 119 inset picture of H.G. Wells, Maxim Gorky and Moura Budberg and page 199-200 Stalin's show trials
Book: X-MEN: GHOSTS ISBN# 978-0-7851-8449-2
Book: X-MEN: MUTANT MASSACRE ISBN# 978-0-7851-6741-9

All that just to advertise your site? Good effort, if pointless.

Dolores

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
The Painted Veil-Somerset Maugham. First time I’ve ever heard of Dao

Back