Staffordshire terriers and the like....

U_N_Owen

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Yet another child savaged to death by a ferocious dog. Is it time to ban ALL these bull terrier type dogs? The owners of these types of dogs say it's bad owners not bad dogs but you never hear of a child being attacked by a collie or a golden retriever or a spaniel etc funny that?

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
You only have to look at the jaws of that type of dog. They are huge...obviously designed for killing.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
You only have to look at the jaws of that type of dog. They are huge...obviously designed for killing.

Have you ever seen |MY JAWS| or.. |Bad_Influence's|...?

Last edited:
B

Bad_Influence

I've had a GSD and a Rottweiler over the years. Not many dogs have the jaw strength of a Rotty but both were the softest dogs you could ever meet. My daughter was 7 when we got the Rotty and they were inseparable. My ex wife was a kennel maid in her youth and was only ever bitten twice... both times by Golden Retrievers. It IS the owner to blame when a dog attacks... be it poor training or neglect of duty as an owner. ALL dogs can do damage, there are few more aggressive breeds than Jack Russells (small do syndrome?).

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
ALL dogs can be dangerous, like all species. NO dog should be left with a child, for example, whatever its history or previous behaviour. I have only had big dogs - sheepdogs, and the rottweiler and mastiff, Andie and Cookie, which I show in pictures here. Neither ever growled at a human in their lives. Both loved cuddling. Neither had a fight with another dog (in fact, when small dogs used to snap at and hang from the jowls of Cookie, she'd look up at us as if to say, 'Make it stop!'). Having said that, I didn't train either to be aggressive, nor to pose with me, thinking I was a hard man, though they were trained hard to be obedient. I would have fed either a biscuit from my mouth quite happily. They took food from a hand gently. A pupil of mine is currently off school following surgery, having been bitten by a labrador. Anything can happen.

Attachments

• ANDIE2.jpg
    ANDIE2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 2
  • COOKIE.jpg
    COOKIE.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 2
D

Deadpool

Gorgeous pooches cookie x I currently have a staff, soft as they come. Cousin has a rotty, another drip lol Have a friend with a banned breed n thats a sack of cuddles. Been around all sorts of dogs (k9s) n what did i get attacked by?....a fkin poxy chihuahua. I like my new slipper

Scotsman87

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Yet another child savaged to death by a ferocious dog. Is it time to ban ALL these bull terrier type dogs? The owners of these types of dogs say it's bad owners not bad dogs but you never hear of a child being attacked by a collie or a golden retriever or a spaniel etc funny that?

No you can't possibly ban dogs that are part of our history.

You may never heard of it, but that is not to say it never happens. It probably doesn't make for the best headlisnes in a paper "Cocker Spaniel Milly mauls baby!"

Also the reasons... The above mentioned dogs have been trained over years to retrieve game, or nip at the heels of cattle. The Bull breeds however have been bred, by our ancestors, for a variety of blood sports, such as bear/bull/badger baiting and dog fighting. So if a retriever bites, its jaws are conditioned to gently bring a shot pheasant back to its master, where a Bull breed has been conditioned to rip things to pieces and its jaws are very powerful. Also the neck muscles are stronger for ripping.

All the bull breed types of dogs I've owned have been as gentle with humans as anything. The worst, most vicious dog I've owned.... a Pekinese!

I wouldn't leave any young child with a dog, no matter how well I trusted it.

Zelda

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Lady on the Roof top is right I think.

One of our golden retrievers, an obedience dog breed and very loving, acted aggressively on ONE occasion to a young child. We ascertained she did so because she was the same height, eye level, to the child and had never encountered a "small" human before. Was very out of character for her.

Back