Danny Baker's Stupid Monkey Picture

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I'm interested to know what people think... would one have to be racist to equate a picture of a chimpanzee with a mixed-race baby? I mean, is it possible that, had the picture featured a couple leaving a building with, say, a puppy wearing some sort of humanesque clothing, the same furore would have happened as it did today surrounding Danny Baker's Tweet? Would that have been saying that the mother was a dog?

In subsequent interviews, he claimed not to know that a new royal baby had arrived (hmmm...) but that seems beside the point I am trying to make. I am not a great fan of the man anyway. I'm not really sure if I am trying to make a point at all - I just wonder what people think; have we gone a bit mad?

Why can't we just NOT always relate everything to racism? I wouldn't think TWICE about affectionately referring to a child, say, who was eating messily as a 'piggywig' or something (as pigs eat quite messily), or one who had played a trick on me a 'little monkey' (as monkeys are famed for being mischievous). But I BET every one of us would freeze in horror if we called a black child a little monkey, for fear of repercussions, when EXACTLY the same thing was meant.

Is it possible that ALL the white newsreaders I have seen reporting this issue are actually being forced to make us offended by something which isn't offensive unless we interpret it in a racist way? I am more offended by the interpretation made by the people who have a predisposition to be offended by whatever can offend them. A chimpanzee, to me, is a chimpanzee. I won't be crusading for my black friends and acquaintances because neither they nor I believe they are any more chimp than they are cow or mouse.

Can't we just see people who equate chimp to black person as a bit stupid and ignore them?

Reaction score
I think the term is arse kissing. Royal couple who in reality noone cares about gives birth to what looks like a normal baby and because someone has the nerve to publish a picture which puts our feelings into words, well that can't be allowed to happen and steps must be taken to ensure noone repeats this act, in this case public humiliation. The BBC has a record of being racist so I'm guessing that the isn't the real issue, and the speed he was sacked it wasn't down to public pressure.

I agree, if you interpret something non-racist in a racist way then you're the one at fault, not the person who committed the non-racist act, yet some people are too stupid to realise that. They think that by taking offense then they're protecting those people that they think the racism is against, which I think is a mindset being promoted by some political parties in order for them to win votes. Thar's gold in thar stupidity. Meanwhile real racism is allowed to go on towards some races because noones bothered to ask that race what they find offensive.

Take the name Emmet for example, there's a reason why I chuckle to myself when I see that name.

Last edited:
B

Baffled

Can't we just see people who equate chimp to black person as a bit stupid and ignore them?
NO WE CANT if you ignore it to them your silence will be taken as tacit approval Baker himself said it was an 'unthinking' joke in other words he did it without thinking he associates black people with monkeys an example there for you of casual racism 2019 and this kind of thing still goes on
one thing though the term 'mixed-race' is a bit dodgy because the implication is that anything mixed isnt pure I would avoid using it if i were you be advised

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
NO WE CANT if you ignore it to them your silence will be taken as tacit approval Baker himself said it was an 'unthinking' joke in other words he did it without thinking he associates black people with monkeys an example there for you of casual racism 2019 and this kind of thing still goes on
one thing though the term 'mixed-race' is a bit dodgy because the implication is that anything mixed isnt pure I would avoid using it if i were you be advised
I think I understand the main points you make, though full stops would help! Do you mean 'he did it without thinking. He associates black people with monkeys' or 'he did it without thinking he associates black people with monkeys'?

Having spoken to black, white and mixed-race people (this is their preferred term, not mine!) today, the general consensus is that although the man is an arse, they are not offended and would not consider a monkey, chimp, or ape of any sort to be representative of any of them. Common sense prevails!

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I think the term is arse kissing. Royal couple who in reality noone cares about gives birth to what looks like a normal baby and because someone has the nerve to publish a picture which puts our feelings into words, well that can't be allowed to happen and steps must be taken to ensure noone repeats this act, in this case public humiliation. The BBC has a record of being racist so I'm guessing that the isn't the real issue, and the speed he was sacked it wasn't down to public pressure.

I agree, if you interpret something non-racist in a racist way then you're the one at fault, not the person who committed the non-racist act, yet some people are too stupid to realise that. They think that by taking offense then they're protecting those people that they think the racism is against, which I think is a mindset being promoted by some political parties in order for them to win votes. Thar's gold in thar stupidity. Meanwhile real racism is allowed to go on towards some races because noones bothered to ask that race what they find offensive.

Take the name Emmet for example, there's a reason why I chuckle to myself when I see that name.

Indeed - no-one likes to be patronised. I hate to think I would be outraged on behalf of any group or minority which isn't outraged itself.

B

Baffled

Do you mean 'he did it without thinking. He associates black people with monkeys' or 'he did it without thinking he associates black people with monkeys'?
You're not in school now! but I take your point that a full stop now and again is helpful so in future i'll try and punctuate my utterances. When describing a black person you wouldn't say 'coloured' would you? neither would you use the term 'half-caste' and rightly so because they are both now regarded as racial slurs used to describe anyone who isn't white. In time 'mixed-race' will go the same way.

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
You're not in school now! but I take your point that a full stop now and again is helpful so in future i'll try and punctuate my utterances. When describing a black person you wouldn't say 'coloured' would you? neither would you use the term 'half-caste' and rightly so because they are both now regarded as racial slurs used to describe anyone who isn't white. In time 'mixed-race' will go the same way.
Nope - not in school now but a full stop does clarify! No - I wouldn't say 'coloured'! Ha ha ha. I stand by 'mixed-race'. It's acceptable.

B

Bad_Influence

Oh where to start with this? I am sick and tired of being told what I can and can't find amusing. The pic Danny Baker posted was a joke, albeit not very funny (It's Danny Baker, was anyone really expecting 'funny'?). The BBC are following CYA Policy by sacking him with no legitimate reason. Bear in mind that for decades they have covered up child abuse within their organisation, REAL institutional racism (not made-up stuff), and ageism throughout. Yet one picture gets Baker the sack and we're supposed to believe there's no other motivation? Really?
Nowadays, thanks to the immature kids (that IS what they are) on Twatter, Instagram, et al, you are vilified for having any opinion that might offend someone, anyone... even those professionally offended halfwits who think social media means they have a right to tell everyone what they are allowed to think. "Instagram Influencers" are now a thing. In reality, they are just people who have a huge ego but nothing to back it up so call themselves "Influencers" to gain a modicum of self-worth. They only influence people who are hard-of-thinking, people who have no opinion until someone else tells them WHAT to think.
Now, with regards to the black/coloured/half-caste thing... Coloured and Half-caste were never derogatory terms until people discovered the chips on their shoulders to punish whitey for the years of subjugation. (Before anyone jumps in, the N word has always been offensive as it was always used in a derogatory way, and as such should NEVER be used or accepted) In years gone by, the term Black was deemed racist but now it's just about the only word acceptable. Why? Because we are told by Instagram Influencers and the like that someone MIGHT be offended. You only have to look at the current debacle of so-called racism in football. Rahim Sterling and Callum Hudson Odoi are kicking and screaming because a few idiots shouted at them from the terraces... why can't they wave their huge pay-cheque at the crowd and move on? Sticks and stones.... you know the rest.
You only get offended if you let yourself be... it's a CHOICE. I am offended by the C word, but I choose to be... after all it's just a word really... I can not explain why it offends me. Why doesn't HELLO offend me? It's just a word.
I'm sure there will be many who disagree with me... and that it their right. This is MY opinion and it's not been influenced by anyone but me.

Miss_Understanding

The chances are, I don’t care
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a holiday home there, right on the banks of the river Styx. (Please don't get me started on gender neutral etc.. I like not being banned :D)
Yes my opinion on it seems very unpopular with this site too :p

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1541234747541.jpg
    FB_IMG_1541234747541.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 5

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I agree with 'Bad_Influence's very well put comment...It's all got way out of hand. My mother had a great collection of 'Gollywogs'...along with many other folks of her era.

But in recent times they have been shunned as 'racist' items. I have friends of all creeds and nations and not ONE of them has ever objected to 'Gollywogs'..!! (Incidentally, the term 'WOG' actually stands for 'West Oriental Gentleman.) !

What i find disturbing is, in recent times, when it's the 'Other way round'...When white people get racially abused, it doesn't get the same reaction or attention.

It's not just White people that can be racist. !

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I've got a holiday home there, right on the banks of the river Styx. (Please don't get me started on gender neutral etc.. I like not being banned :D)

So have I...The number on My front door is 666..!! :D

B

Bad_Influence

I agree with 'Bad_Influence's very well put comment...It's all got way out of hand. My mother had a great collection of 'Gollywogs'...along with many other folks of her era.

But in recent times they have been shunned as 'racist' items. I have friends of all creeds and nations and not ONE of them has ever objected to 'Gollywogs'..!! (Incidentally, the term 'WOG' actually stands for 'West Oriental Gentleman.) !

What i find disturbing is, in recent times, when it's the 'Other way round'...When white people get racially abused, it doesn't get the same reaction or attention.

It's not just White people that can be racist. !
Two words.... Diane Abbott.

Back