internet speed

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Can anyone give me advice on how to improve my internet connection. I have a BT hub3 but at times I get no internet connection. I have Skype but there are times when I try to use it a message comes up saying my internet signal is too weak. Yesterday I tried to use BBC I player but the internet signal was too weak .
I have received conflicting advice on boosters. Any help would be appreciated very much.
Thanks

RequiemForACat

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I'm guessing you're using WiFi and not ethernet cable.. where in your home is your router based? Mine is in my front room and I barely get any signal in my bedroom, so I bought a WiFi extender and it works! Some Internet providers will send you an extender for free if you phone them up and explain.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
call your
supplier.
we use virgin media don't have any trouble not matter what weather is.

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I'm guessing you're using WiFi and not ethernet cable.. where in your home is your router based? Mine is in my front room and I barely get any signal in my bedroom, so I bought a WiFi extender and it works! Some Internet providers will send you an extender for free if you phone them up and explain.

I,ve contacted my provider, and all they are interested in is sending an engineer at £83 an hour. I won,t bother. I will put up with it.

RequiemForACat

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I,ve contacted my provider, and all they are interested in is sending an engineer at £83 an hour. I won,t bother. I will put up with it.
You can buy a WiFi extender online they aren't too much cost wise, probably find one on Amazon.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
£83 bloody hell wedont pay they pay us if they dont turn up. am sure bt dont charge to come out had one at my door the other day wrong house and i know house he was going to wont be paying £83 to come out

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Hi.

My nephews have consoles and there are also phones and computers knocking about; sometimes a good few people are online at once in the house. The router is downstairs near the bedroom of one boy and another chap's room is upstairs and quite a long way in the other direction and his signal was utter pants up there while the downstairs boy's signal was strong. At Christmas I bought a WiFi extender (NOT the wireless version on advice from my man who is quite knowledgeable!) which the upstairs boy plugs in and his troubles are over! It really does work. It was a BT one and about £60 but it was on sale by sheer coincidence when I bought it and I think it was closer to £30. I suppose you'd have to have a goodish signal in the home to start with though... this just makes it better far away from the router in a very large house.

A phonecall to your provider would confirm your internet speed beforehand. In the sticks where I live, hedgehogs and badgers sometimes deliver the internet.

Good luck.

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Many thanks to you all for your replies to my post. My internet speed here is around 5.7 which I have been told is not too bad. I have been in touch with my supplier but have got nowhere except they said they will send an engineer at £80 a time. I said No thanks. I am not too fussed to be honest but it is annoying when I open up in the morning to get the message 'No Internet connection'
Sometimes when I am using Skype the screen will go blank and a message saying 'Weak internet signal, try again later'

U_N_Owen

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
You might be better off just using an Ethernet cable which I know is inconvenient but having a wired connection avoids wi-fi problems and it does
double your speed. To watch a football HD stream I often connect a long Ethernet cable to the router. One added bonus is watching Mrs Owen constantly tripping over it, great fun.

Back