Tainted charity money?

U_N_Owen

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
With red nose day coming up yet again it got me thinking, there's a first!
We'll see the usual celebs off to Africa to have their pics taken with starving black children. 'white saviours' they known as aren't they? I guess starving people don't care how or why the money was raised as long as they can eat.
I read somewhere that during his lifetime Jimmy Saville raised over £40 million for charity mainly for people with spinal injuries, does it matter who raised that money? personally I wouldn't care.

B

Bad_Influence

Charity begins at home. There are enough people in this country in dire need of help before we start throwing money into a country that gets little or no aid from their own CASH RICH Governments.
I'll happily donate to Children In Need as the money helps kids in THIS country.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
With red nose day coming up yet again it got me thinking, there's a first!
We'll see the usual celebs off to Africa to have their pics taken with starving black children. 'white saviours' they known as aren't they? I guess starving people don't care how or why the money was raised as long as they can eat.
I read somewhere that during his lifetime Jimmy Saville raised over £40 million for charity mainly for people with spinal injuries, does it matter who raised that money? personally I wouldn't care.

Charities are a organisations designed to make money. Celebrities are used to promote business and revenue with all these pictures taken of them in Africa and third world countries. It's good publicity. You could even class it as virtue signalling the way it is run. Charity isn't free after all.
It's not like you or me who may take time out on a Saturday afternoon to bake cakes and sell them to help raise money for a local church or shelter for vulnerable people. We wouldn't receive the same appreciation, and nor would we want to as just helping out gives us a greater sense of satisfaction, that we've made some difference to people's lives through our individual actions. But we would be disgusted if they received very little.
So charities are very hit and miss with me, as we know the full amount won't go to the cause, but the question is how much of that donation is going to the cause. I'm very cautious of donating to organisations that i know very little about and how they operate.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
he says he dont care so why has he do a thread?

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

He means that he cares about charitable organisations and believes they have purpose, but doesn't necessarily care where the money comes from. He's briefly touch on virtue signalling that comes with these organisations.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Last year the 'British Heart Foundation' made over £300 Million.

It's Director is on £270K a year.

Make your own minds up about Charity.

I help my local Animal trust...I can see where |MY| money is being spent..;)

jefffs

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Last year the 'British Heart Foundation' made over £300 Million.

It's Director is on £270K a year.

Make your own minds up about Charity.

I help my local Animal trust...I can see where |MY| money is being spent..;)
I always thought 6p in the pound went to the actual charity for supplies etc, rest is spent on transport, wages for the boss`s and administration

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I always thought 6p in the pound went to the actual charity for supplies etc, rest is spent on transport, wages for the boss`s and administration

What ever made YOU THINK THAT?..

Are you so Blind you can't see what is happening?

Charity's love folks like you...

Wake the Fcuk up..

U_N_Owen

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score

Another fascinating contribution to the forum there from smeg. This one was especially interesting and cryptic, I'm sure it has hidden meanings. I wait with bated breath for the next input from smeg.

I never give money to charity simply because you can't be sure that the money will go to where it was intended. If you throw money into a collection bucket who counts that money can they be trusted not to keep some for themselves? if you give your card details to the chuggers (charity muggers) in the high street how much of your donation gets sidetracked? If you buy raffle tickets will your numbers even go into the draw? etc etc
The only way I help a charity is when I have no further use for something I don't try to sell it I give it to the local animal rescue charity shop but then
again who's to say that helpers in the shop don't keep the item for themselves? You know, it's bloody awful being so suspicious. :rolleyes:

B

Bad_Influence

U_N... I was willing to believe you were intelligent but then you go and spoil it by using silly little insults.
Also, I'd hate to live in such a pessimistic world as yours where mistrust everyone and everything, it must be very tiring.
And to be honest if I'd known who you were when I first read this thread I wouldn't have bothered commenting... I'm sure you just use these forums to attempt to belittle people.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
U_N... I was willing to believe you were intelligent but then you go and spoil it by using silly little insults.
Also, I'd hate to live in such a pessimistic world as yours where mistrust everyone and everything, it must be very tiring.
And to be honest if I'd known who you were when I first read this thread I wouldn't have bothered commenting...

My Bold....That doesn't make sense.!

Coming from someone like you Bad. Your slipping.

And you are here for what reason?

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I am certainly not naïve but it could be argued that I am not politically-minded enough... I am about to ice some cakes I made this evening for Red Nose Day events at work tomorrow. 6th formers have requested them as a donation to the stalls they have planned for tomorrow. They will sell the cakes to sugar-hungry younger kids.
Maybe not all the money raised will be used as we imagine by the charity; maybe some will; maybe all of it will. Whatever the case, ALL raised at our place will be sent to the charity; ALL the 6th formers who have arranged these activities will have learnt some skill of organisation or whatever; ALL the little kids who buy a cake will have a nice treat at break time. A cynic could say this is a bad idea in the current obesity-ridden UK or that the little kids' teeth will immediately fall out and this will be all my fault but then, I am not politically-minded enough. I am happy enough for these kids to learn that fundraisers are fundamentally well-intentioned and that if one wants to contribute, one may. If not, they do not have to.

U_N_Owen

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
ALL raised at our place will be sent to the charity
ALL the money raised will be counted in front of at least two people I hope. :D The Red Nose people are reporting that donations are down by £8 million this year, can't think why.

Back