NHS gone mad?

RequiemForACat

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
So I read a newspaper article today about a hospital in Southampton that has banned staff from making patients toast unless they are fully trained. Fully trained. In making TOAST.

They even had to put up a toast making guide.

Even my 9 year old daughter can make toast.

What is the NHS coming to if it's staff don't know how to correctly make toast?

Scary.

J

JustinCredible

South Tyneside hospital banned the staff from making toast in case they burnt it and set the smoke alarms off.. apparently it costs the trust £800 every time the fire brigade are called out..oh and 4p for the bread.

Last edited by a moderator:

RequiemForACat

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
That isn't the story reported here. The story reported said that the staff needed a step by step guide to toast making, including what toppings to give to patients and what plate to use.

yaris

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
South Tyneside hospital banned the staff from making toast in case they burnt it and set the smoke alarms off.. apparently it costs the trust £800 every time the fire brigade are called out..oh and 4p for the bread.
Ha
Have had the pleasure of residing in South Tyneside Hospital a few times, their burnt toast is 2nd to none! :)

Buggleskelly

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
most of the money pumped into the nhs has gone on staff costs obviously for extra training in making toast

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
That isn't the story reported here. The story reported said that the staff needed a step by step guide to toast making, including what toppings to give to patients and what plate to use.
I agree that extensive training should be undertaken, to be honest. If I were to be given, for example, orange marmalade, I would kick off. Similarly, if I were to be presented with toast topped with lemon marmalade which wasn't shredless, I'd be equally unhappy. These things need to be addressed. Furthermore, if any of these condiments were served on toast to me on, say a FLORAL PLATE, I'd lose my sh**. Train, train, train, I say! ;)

B

Bad_Influence

It's a case of covering their arses. Sadly we are in times when every situation where there's even a chance of blame, there's an equal chance of a claim. Too many people think the world owes them, and a claim against the NHS for poorly prepared toast is easy money for some.
This country is FUBAR and sadly there's no going back to sanity.:(

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
So I read a newspaper article today about a hospital in Southampton that has banned staff from making patients toast unless they are fully trained. Fully trained. In making TOAST.

They even had to put up a toast making guide.

Even my 9 year old daughter can make toast.

What is the NHS coming to if it's staff don't know how to correctly make toast?

Scary.

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I have been a patient in Southampton General hospital several times and the staff do not provide provide food of any description. This is all done, from cups of tea to main meals, by an outside caterer. It is B+++++ awful muck too.

U_N_Owen

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I was watching a U.S tv channel last night and an advert came on for health insurance, you had to be earning over $35k and be under 65. . . . . . ....... I wish people would stop denigrating the NHS and instead maybe rhapsodise about it just for a change.

Back