When Angels Deserve to Die...

A

A_Son_of_God

I found it interesting, pondering the lyrics of the song Chop Suey, and contemplating the possible motive behind their writing of it. Here it is, for those who may not know it.

And here are the lyrics:

I had a look at an article or two on what interviews revealed about why they wrote that song, and I did an analysis of my own.

Daron, John, Serj and Shavo all have origins from Armenia, while Serj and John also have origins from Lebanon. This means that their upbringing on religion would have been very interesting. They would have had friends and colleagues of both Christian and Muslim faiths.

This means there was potential for discussion of the differences of the two faiths about the role Jesus played in God's purpose. Here, I'm going to discuss the two, and compare them with the possible meanings/thoughts behind the lyrics in the song.

So, let's briefly consider the beliefs of the Christian regarding the death of Jesus, and then the Muslim beliefs of it.

Christians
The basis of the belief of the death of Jesus is based on the Bible. The accounts of Jesus' life are recorded by four Christians, two of who were apostles (chosen by Jesus to learn directly from him after travelling with him for about a year, it seems), and two others who were historians and also followers of Jesus. All four accounts show Jesus' life, especially for the three and a half years he preached and taught about God's kingdom, through to his torture, execution and murder.
Jesus is spoken of - not only as a prophet - but as the Son of Man and the Son of God. Two titles designating him with a unique role. Secondly, the Bible shows Jesus as being the Messiah that was hoped for by the Jews, and in fact, it also shows that at that time, the Jews were in expectation of the Messiah coming. This Messiah - or Christ (the equivalent Greek-based word) was spoken of by the prophets such as Moses, Isaiah, Daniel, and others.

What was this Messiah needed for? The first Bible book - Genesis - shows that God promised an offspring to undo the issues that Satan had caused by his rebellion and successive misleading of Eve in the Garden. As the Bible books are written later on in time, more is revealed about this offspring, showing that the Messiah will buy us out of out dead state that Adam sold us into, and instill God's original purpose, which was for us to fill the earth, and live on it, looking after the world, and enjoying endless life.

Although the Jews reject Jesus as the Messiah, it isn't difficult to show why Jesus was the promised Messiah, who came at the right time. The books of Psalms, and others, show that the Messiah would be hated, despised and killed. In fact, Jesus himself tells his apostles that this was going to happen to him. The Bible reports what happened to Jesus, as do a few other ancient works, in one way or another. But generally speaking, Jesus was born free of sin, lived a life free of sin, and was killed. How this buys us from sin is another topic for discussion, and isn't going to be explained here. Also, whether someone believes that Jesus is God or not is not going to be explained here. To suffice, for the sake of the differences in the song, it matters not either way.

Also, in the Bible, it shows Satan was an angel - the first of those who rebelled against God. They too were perfect creatures, with the hope of living forever. The angels overall remained obedient, but a number of them rebelled, and followed Satan into a path of rebellion, causing chaos with God's physical creation, namely us. Their rebellion has led to the hope of everlasting life being taken away from them, and the knowledge instead that they will one day be destroyed and no longer exist forever. "When angels deserve to die".

Muslims
The basis of the belief in Jesus though for Muslims is different. It is stated in the Qur'an that Jesus was a prophet. It is also stated that he is "Al-Masih", which means literally, "the Messiah", and even shows that it is Jesus who returns in the last day. But that is where the similarities end.
The idea that God has a son is often mocked by Muslims, who for some reason consider it to have to be a sexual act to call someone a son of God. But it is the Qur'an that starts with this idea that Jesus was not a, nor THE Son of God. This is in part to a number of reasons. Some are to do with misunderstanding certain parts of the Qur'an, or even taking literal some things that are symbolic. Others though are because of things like believing the Bible has been changed, and that Muhammad received an accurate recital from the angel Gabriel (Jibril) instead.
The Qur'an also states that Jesus didn't die. In fact, many Muslims believe that Jesus was swapped with Judas. So, instead of Jesus being hung on a torture stake, the Muslim believes that Jesus was not killed, and went to heaven, while Judas was hung on the stake.
The idea of Jesus dying for people's sins is not considered at all in Islam, as Islam does not teach that Jesus died.

In regards to the angels, the Qur'an is a little difficult to work out here. See, Satan is called a Jinn, which is different to an angel. They are made of fire, according to the Qur'an. But at the same time, Satan is punished AS an angel, because, according the the Qur'an, the angels were asked to bow down to man, but Satan chose not to, so he was punished.

Additionally, the Qur'an has Adam being forgiven for his sin, and it appears to show no hope of humans living on earth forever at all. There is the thought of heaven and hell. Hell being a place of eternal suffering, where God - in his mercy and justice - give the sinners fresh skins to burn when their old ones are burnt off by being dragged through pits of boiling water, and fire forever.

Admittedly, this is similar to some former church teachings too.

So, analysing how the changes are in both fields - Islam and Christianity - there are some interesting points of view, with just that information. It leaves some questions, which appear to be highlighted by the statements and choices of scripture in the song. Let's look at them:

Verses and Chorus
The first verse appears to relate to someone putting on make up to cover scars from their assault, with the accusation that they deliberately caused it by leaving the keys upon the table, and then stories being invented.

Then the chorus states "I don't think you trust in my self-righteous suicide". So, plainly - also based on the rest of the lyrics demonstrating that it's speaking of Jesus here - the writer thinks that Jesus' death is self-righteous. How so?

Some accuse Jesus of suicide because he knew people would kill him, yet he chose the role of Messiah, when he could have not chosen it. To me, this appears to be the understanding of someone who has an upbringing in Islam, and hearing about the Christian Jesus. Or at least someone who has questions regarding this what would appear to be strange role that Jesus fulfilled. It leaves me thinking that the writer had these questions.

1) Why did Jesus need to die in the first place?
2) Why did Jesus CHOOSE to die?
3) Couldn't God do anything he wanted with these enemies of his? It doesn't make sense to just sacrifice an innocent life.
4) Is the Qur'an right in stating that Jesus didn't die then?

Midsection
In this section, the writer gives more evidence that he is questioning the above things. Look what he chose to put as verses.
"Why have you forsaken me?"
"Into your hands I commend my spirit."

He is demonstrating that Jesus - according to the Bible account - put his faith in God, and it appears he felt let down at one stage. Not just at one stage, but at a critical stage, namely at his death. So, here is Jesus - sinless Jesus, innocent of any wrongdoing or crime in any way, according to the Bible - being abandoned by God. This raises a few more questions.

5) Why would God abandon Jesus at a time like this?
6) Is this what happens when we "commend our spirit" to God?

It also would have reiterated the former question 4, that maybe the Qur'an was right in stating that Jesus didn't die, as surely God wouldn't be so cruel as to do such things.

When Angels Deserve To Die
What about this phrase? It's clear that the writer knew that there was an accounting for angels. But he states he cries when angels deserve to die. Is this a potential empathy, trying to understand why angels would have to die - beings that were created perfectly, and appear to be all good, if one doesn't realise the teachings of demons being disobedient angels.

The overall song appears to show the helplessness of people, and indeed, show that we all die, and as much as the articles may state that it was about us humans judging each other badly maybe when we die in different ways - like the drunk driver, compared to the war hero or something - it actually shows a series of questions that the writer would benefit from if he had the chance to know them. It is good to ask such questions in all honesty, and it is - as the Bible states - more valuable than finding gold when we find the answers. There is no greater joy than discovering truth to the one seeking it.

Well, in the next article, I'll attempt to address one or two of these, and see how we go from there.

Chip_TheViking

Vegvisir
Reaction score
malakian made a statement
"The chorous was written by me and it's about how people are judgemental about other peoples deaths and has nothing to do with the bible".
how random & amazing it was just luck he chose the bible eh?

A

A_Son_of_God

malakian made a statement
"The chorous was written by me and it's about how people are judgemental about other peoples deaths and has nothing to do with the bible".
how random & amazing it was just luck he chose the bible eh?

Yeah. I'm definitely reading my own opinions into it.

A

A_Son_of_God

So, I said I'd address some of those points, so here we go.
1) Why did Jesus need to die in the first place?
God's law code He gave to Moses include "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a soul for a soul". So, although there were exceptions to the rule, this is how God views justice. It basically shows that we should consider our actions in how we treat our fellow humans. If we injure or kill someone, the compensation should equal it.

In the case of Adam, Adam chose to sin prior to having children. Therefore, we die, as we've inherited what Adam sold us under. We are cursed even before birth, thanks to Adam. We have inherited bad genome.

Jesus was a perfect man. He didn't sin. He died without sin, and therefore had the right to get his life back. But instead of taking his life back, it was provided as a ransom for what Adam had taken off us. Namely, the ability to live forever as God had originally proposed.

Jesus knew he was going to die. In fact, Jesus existed as a spirit creature in the heavens before coming to earth. He forsook his position to provide this ransom for us. So it is thanks to God AND Jesus for providing this ransom. Jesus could have refused. He could have chosen to sin, and he could have chosen to take his life back. But he didn't.

So this is WHY Jesus needed to die.
2) Why did Jesus CHOOSE to die?
Jesus CHOSE to die because he saw the pitiable condition of humans, and as the personified wisdom of Proverbs chapter 8, Jesus loved the human creation. In fact, it is likely that Jesus is the angel that had interactions with humans from the beginning. Why can we say that? Because Gabriel tells the prophet Daniel that Jesus - known as Michael in the heavens when he was an angel - was one of the only angels that were sticking by humans at the time. So, it was love of humans that Jesus chose to die. He knew God would replace his heavenly life, but he also knew that he'd have to undergo what the prophets had written about him, as well as never again coming back to earth with his body. It was his flesh and blood he gave up for us to buy us out of this condition we're in.
3) Couldn't God do anything he wanted with these enemies of his? It doesn't make sense to just sacrifice an innocent life.
Well, technically, yes. But the issue isn't about mankind. It is about God's righteousness, and his way of ruling was challenged. So, He has chosen to let the evidence do the speaking. That way, the issue will never again be raised in all time.

The sacrifice of the innocent life was an equal payment to what Adam sold us out with.
4) Is the Qur'an right in stating that Jesus didn't die then?
The Qur'an seems to not understand the role of Jesus, nor the issue of sin and how it affects us. Although the Qur'an speaks of things in the Bible, the basics are very different. The Qur'an states that Jesus didn't die because of not understanding why God would allow an innocent man to be killed. Not because of any historical evidence.
5) Why would God abandon Jesus at a time like this?
First of all, DID God actually abandon/forsake Jesus? Well, technically, yes. God had to allow Jesus to suffer, as there was a legal precedent by Satan before all creation that Jesus had to be just like his brothers in every way. How could Jesus be just like his brothers without experiencing what it feels like to not have communication with his heavenly Father, which is what we go through to some degree at times when we sin? He simply couldn't be tested in every way if this was not done.

But secondly, maybe Jesus knew this. Maybe he was calling it out to remind others to think about the prophecy which was written about him.
6) Is this what happens when we "commend our spirit" to God?
Of course not. But we also can't expect the same kind of relationship straight off that Jesus had with his heavenly Father, as he was sinless, whereas we're born in sin, and are basically dead and choose to offend God by our actions and words, even if technically unintentionally. Our sense of justice is short-term. We don't get to see the big picture, and we blame God for it.
When we choose to do God's will, we set ourselves up in line for blessings. The blessing of having good association, a clean life, and eternity, even if we die.
When Angels Deserve To Die

"Sin" is a word based on missing a target, as in archery. So, we miss the mark that God made for us. When a perfect being deliberately sins, they reap the consequences that they were told would happen. In the case of humans, we "will positively die". In the case of the angels it seems the same. Angels are NOT immortal, but they have everlasting life. What is the difference?

Immortal - Can't die
Everlasting life - can live forever, but can die too.

Jesus is a good example of one who could live forever as a man. If he wanted to, he could have been given his body back, and his life force to once again exist as himself on this earth.
But Jesus was also a creature from heaven - a Son of God - an angel. So, he had a spiritual body as well.

So, when a perfect being sins, they inherit death. We were born into this cursed condition thanks to Adam, so Jesus and God bought us out of it. Jesus paid with his human life, as a ransom. Adam will remain dead, as Jesus' ransom covers sin, but it covers the fact that we're born in sin. Ultimately, God Jehovah will judge us and who he resurrects, but we know this much about Jesus.

I hope the information helps. Feel free to let me know in the comments.

Back