The BBC strikes again with its end of year pantomime!

Kev45

A beautiful sunset that was mistaken for a dawn.
Reaction score
During my brief time on the forum, I have diligently observed that WickedW%nkpot very rarely makes his own threads, and so this vitally important topic of "sports 'personality' (noun) of the year" has clearly agitated and upset him. So much so that he has now personally taken it upon himself to make a thread complaining about it for three consecutive years on the trot. :rolleyes:

The war in Gaza, 14 years of Tory austerity and the resulting crumbling NHS with 8 million + on waiting lists, poverty and inequality reaching levels not seen since the Victorian era, cancer and other disease rocketing, local councils going bankrupt all across England, inflation, fuel poverty, etc. o_O

A man to be taken seriously by similar like-minded individuals... right? ;)

And finally on this matter:

DZ9VM30WAAAxuRO.jpg

Last edited:

Kev45

Reaction score
Perhaps, after all, they won't be winning another BBC Sports Personality of The Year award next year? Won't that be a shame? :eek:
That is, unless 'personality' is what the 'general public' base their voting on. Because they are that clever and sports savvy.

Imagine it... just how ludicrous is it that the 'public' dared vote for a sportsperson with a personality... in this instance a female soccer player, on a programme called Sports 'Personality' (noun) of the Year.

In-between, a BBC conspiracy to brainwash the stupid British public into "woke" compliance. :)

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
"Always Forgive Your Enemies; Nothing Annoys Them So Much. The More Forgiveness, The More Annoyance".

I've decided to forgive you ... because I know how to annoy you.

I will keep on forgiving you.

:cool:

Kev45

Reaction score
"Always Forgive Your Enemies; Nothing Annoys Them So Much. The More Forgiveness, The More Annoyance".

I've decided to forgive you ... because I know how to annoy you.

I will keep on forgiving you.

Thanks for being so annoying, sweetheart, and thanks also for generously forgiving me. Unfortunately the harsh reality is, however, I just don't consider you to be an enemy of mine, sadly, and very sorry for that bad news. On a positive note, it does give me unimaginable pleasure, 10 out of 10 pleasure, off the Richter scale pleasure, being the modest, humble man that you are, that in fact you do actually consider me important enough, for you, to consider yourself as my enemy. :)

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I always loved Franklins statement, "Love your enemies, for they tell you your faults."
I think in todays polarised world some people tend to live in echo chambers.
I get it, it makes thinking simple.

The problem is when those who you are opposed to actually have a point, how does one react?
All one can do is listen, think and perhaps accept they may be right.

There are objective and subjective answers to most problems, however, objectivity is the subjective view of the person or people who "prove" the science or belief.

We are in a state never before seen, that no one knows the truth any more, because media and science are so poisened by monetary infused bias that they cannot be trusted.

The closest thing we have to this current state is the Reformation.

Kev45

Reaction score
Congratulations to Rebecca Welch for becoming the first female to referee a game in the Premiership, following on from becoming the first woman to referee in the EFL a few years ago, and including several games at the recent world cup.

Her performance at all those games was exemplary, and including this afternoon at Craven Cottage. Rebecca is clearly a credit to the sport. Quite rightly, fast tracked by Professional Game Match Officials Limited, who are operating a scheme to identify and fast track talent outside the usual channels because they recognize more diversity, with a growing female audience, can only be good for the future of football. ;)

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I foyu can keep up with the camara refs judgement, then alls ok :)

Kev45

Reaction score
I have been considering how to start 2024 with a clean slate and build bridges with the utterly delightful WickedPerdition.

I would like to humbly suggest now, if I may, an early front-runner for this year's sports personality of the year.

Step forward the darts' maestro Luke 'the nuke' Littler who has become the youngest person to reach the World Darts Championship Final.

Although Luke looks 30 years old, he is in fact only 16 and is on the brink of producing one of the greatest sporting stories of all time!

Arguably, in more recent times, only bettered by the Emma Raducanu victory in the US Open in 2021.

What an achievement by this young man, a guaranteed £200k, a shot at being the youngest darts world champion in history and new world ranking of 9 and which now ensures a place on the PDC tour among the darts crème de la crème.

One hundred and eightyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
More than a front-runner, they should just give the award to Luke now. What a lovely lad.

I'm also considering how to start 2024 on the forum. I'm just far too nice. So nice, that if I added to the numerous delete account threads :rolleyes: 100's would be begging me to stay, telling me how lovely I am and how much I would be missed! :)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
More than a front-runner, they should just give the award to Luke now. What a lovely lad.

I'm also considering how to start 2024 on the forum. I'm just far too nice. So nice, that if I added to the numerous delete account threads :rolleyes: 100's would be begging me to stay, telling me how lovely I am and how much I would be missed! :)
I wasn't intending to post another comment on this thread as I think my original point was honest, unequivocal and correct.
However, when all the fuss about Luke 'the Nuke' Littler has died down after the Yuletide furore and predictable transient darts frenzy, I think we WILL be looking at a completely different SPORT, I.E. Not GAME, producing the BBC Sports Personality, (joke to say the least), of 2024.

Yes, we have the greatest SPORTING spectacle in the world to look forward to: the 2024 Olympic Games to be held in Paris in summer.
I would love to think that Katarina Johnson-Thompson will come home with a medal, hopefully Gold in the women's Heptathlon, to validate my choice of last year's deserving winner.
I should not rule out a potential winner from the Paralympic Games which will be also interesting to watch out for.

Oh, by the way, wasn't it a shame about Emma Raducanu losing her second match at the Australian Open. One set up and losing the next two sets. Unfortunately, women don't get the opportunity to fight it out over FIVE sets but, strangely enough, expect the same pay as the men!
Nevertheless, I suppose she should be congratulated for scraping through the draw by default. No mean feat for someone ranked at World No. 301.
Got to love a trier, I suppose.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Sorry Wicked, best sporting spectacle this year, gonna be Le Mans 24.
So looking forward to that and the whole WEC ELMS series this year.
:)

Kev45

Reaction score
It's always amusing when a troll thread is revisited by the original OP... (how could he resist, right?). Has the honey monster returned from yet another enforced lay off? Beginning the new year refreshed refuelled and fired up for another season, of true 'sporting' endeavour, the male dominated pastime, 'correcting typo's online' or 'mansplaining to women' LOL!

The pay is absolutely sh/ite in both endeavours, but it's all about the personal glory, innit.

Many many MANY many congratulations to Luke 'the nuke' for coming a close second in one of the world's OLDEST sporting events, truly iconic, darts! Darts aficionado such as myself will now excitedly observe Luke's progress throughout the year and as new sponsors clamour to invest in this young man personally and, overall, the sport in general. Breathing new life into one of the few remaining working class events in the UK, the World Darts Championship and despite middle-class parasites hovering, attempting to gentrify and erode, yet more working class culture.

During an era of Tory imposed ideological austerity which has forced the closure of thousands of pubs and other sporting arenas where working class men and women honed their darts skills. A poisonous, toxic ideology that has further ravaged entire working class communities the length and breadth of the UK! Where over the past 14 years vast amounts of wealth, hundreds of billions, has been funnelled into the hands of the few, at the expense of the many.

Interestingly, darts originated as far back as medieval Britain. One of the UK's (worlds) OLDEST SPORTS and in parallel with many other SPORTS, earlier versions began as military pastimes by bored soldiers honing their skills and passing time in between military campaigns. :rolleyes:

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Sorry Wicked, best sporting spectacle this year, gonna be Le Mans 24.
So looking forward to that and the whole WEC ELMS series this year.
:)
The Le Mans represents just ONE sport: motor racing. It drags on for 24 hours.
Anyone with the patience to watch just 5 minutes of it, let alone 24 hours, deserves a (proverbial) medal.
I think I stopped watching motor racing when I discovered the delights of a kaleidoscope given as a Christmas present.

I'm sorry, but I actually found that to be far more entertaining and timeworthy.

Ah well ... at least you did choose a sport as opposed to a somewhat trivial 'board game'.
Next, we'll be having chess being classed as a sport.

;)

Kev45

Reaction score
During some research into this extremely important subject, I inadvertently came across some rather dubious current Olympic "sports" and some which were once also 'official' Olympic "sports". :)

1. Rope climbing (bears and tigers can climb too, stupid).
2. Live Pigeon Shooting.
3. Racewalking (yes, that funny walk).
4. Tug-of-war.
5. Swimming Obstacle Course.
6. Duelling Pistols.
7. Hot Air Ballooning.
8. Spear Throwing (Javelin).
9. Horse Long Jump.
10. "Solo" (lol) Synchronized Swimming.
11. Town Planning.
12. Ping-Pong (table tennis).
13. Pentathlon (crap at individual events).
14. Ski Jumping (Eddie the Eagle).
15. Water Motorsports.
16. Gliding.
17. Plunge for Distance (a 'sport', and not that!)
18. Skijoring.
19. Handball (what?).
20. Basque Pelota (I have no idea).
21. Jeu de Paume (real tennis?).
22. Beach Volleyball (for dirty old men, you know who you are).
23. Croquet.
24. Horse Vaulting.
25. Club Swinging (don't forget to duck).

New sports added to the Olympic Games in 2024 include Breaking, Sports Climbing, Skateboarding and Surfing.

Quite clearly Olympic "sport" already involves competition, the benchmark has already been set previously, based solely on concentration, precise calculations, skill, and grit and determination. Rather than mindless physical exertion, and so the argument darts is not a sport is clearly ludicrous whataboutery. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) have also indicated that DARTS may be recognized as an official Olympic sport in the future, having already been recognized as a sport by Sport England since 2005. Over ninety countries currently have an active darts federation, with a large majority already members of the sport's highest ruling body, the IOC. It is a long, tedious process, all related to internal IOC politics, but you can't stop the future and you can't stop progress.

BTW, stupid, constantly quoting the Olympics to add gravitas to your antiquated, one dimensional views, doesn't equate to being an ancient Greek philosopher. :)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
In order to avoid starting a new thread and maintaining the sporting theme, by complete accident, I came across this advert to encourage people to support Barnsley women's football team.

To be honest, my first thoughts were that they were recruits from the local 'Fatfighters Club' having a kick around, but having read further, I discovered that they are actually a professional team.
Any potential England team players to be gleaned from this fine selection?

Here's a comment from womeninfootball.co.uk site:

"And as a board of directors and owners, so do we. Agreeing to add a women's team to our professional line-up means of course money, coaching and sport science resources, the juggling of pitch time, questions about marketing, challenges for our small football club and the big visions we share".

If they aren't having a laugh, I certainly am.

:D

** please don't forget to use the zoom facility for a true, visual experience **

Attachments

• Barnsley women's football team.jpg
    Barnsley women's football team.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 2

Kev45

Reaction score
Eurgh omg... just so damn online creepy. :eek:

Old bloke "accidentally" searching the internet again, long into the night, until he finally lands a picture that he believes paints women young enough to his granddaughter in a bad light, and when he crudely attempts (and fails miserably) to fat shame them.

He genuinely believes that he is "edgy" and "shocking", in total control, and that he alone is steering the course for 'his' ship. :rolleyes:

All to get a titter from his 1-person online fan club, who believe that he is an internet bad boy that they can tame, and with a combined age of 120+ between them.

It's a parody of a parody of that 80s throw back, the comic for men just like him, Viz. :rolleyes:

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Poetry was once an olympic "Sport".

Such a shame we lost the intellect to the physical.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Poetry was once an olympic "Sport".

Such a shame we lost the intellect to the physical.

In the original Olympic Games held well over 2500 years ago, there were no non-athletic events. Hence, philosophers, poets and soothsayers weren't highly rated at the time. Oh, and women were lucky to be spectators in those enlightened times.

The modern Olympic Games introduced a wide variety of some rather bizarre events including solo synchronised swimming, pistol duelling and poodle clipping! For God's sake, there's even the talk of pole dancing being introduced as an event in the not too distant future.
Just look at some of the absurd accomplishments listed in The Guinness Book of Records if you think that is extraordinary.
There are already enough rather pointless and utterly banal events included as it is.

:rolleyes:

Back