You try to be Green to help save the planet...

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I forgot to put the blue recycle wheelie bin out this morning. It was rammed full of all the bottles and cans i'd kept.. So like a decent citizen I laboriously emptied it all into bin bags. Went online and booked a slot at the local tip (recycling village as it's now called!) because you can't just turn up these days, you have to book in advance. Arrived promptly only to find that unbelievably, there were no skips specifically for bottles or cans, so it all just had to go into the non-recyclable household rubbish skip. I don't know why I bother!
Forgive me if I tend to use this forum as some kind of personal blog. :oops:

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
It's understandable to feel frustrated when you put in the effort to recycle properly, only to encounter obstacles or limitations at the recycling center. Many people use online forums to share their experiences and vent their frustrations, so there's no need to apologize for using this platform to express yourself.

Recycling policies and procedures can vary by location, and it's unfortunate when systems aren't in place to accommodate all types of recyclable materials. It's commendable that you made the effort to recycle responsibly, and it's disappointing when that effort doesn't yield the desired outcome.

While it's important to continue advocating for better recycling infrastructure and practices, it's also helpful to remember that every effort to reduce waste and recycle counts, even if it doesn't always go as planned. Your commitment to being a responsible citizen is commendable, and I hope you continue to find ways to make a positive impact on the environment, even in the face of challenges.

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Some low-lifes took our re-cycling bin, which was full of paper and cardboard, and set fire to it. I would have to pay for a new one, and it could easily happen again. Barbed wire and machine-gun dug-outs are forbidden in my area, so it's difficult to keep vermin out.
Councils complain about people not disposing of waste properly but they don't make it easy for folks. The council have to collect any fly-tipped waste, but they charge individuals if they arrange collection. That doesn't make sense to me.
And one big thing I would like to point out is that we don't all have cars!!! When I enquired what I should do with my unwanted electricals, I was told, 'Just take them to the tip'. Easy to say, but I don't have a car.

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
What I remember the fly tipping fine is about 400 pounds at the moment.

Local councils have a recycling target to meet the reason why they've issued all these silly recycling bins for paper and cardboard and God knows what else. The issue they have is they don't know what to do with it once they get it. Most of it just goes off the landfill or to an incinerator.

When you buy a new electrical item the company that sells it to you has a responsibility to recycle it. You often see these option when you're ordering a new washing machine or a fridge freezer. Some of them do it for free......some of them make a charge.

Local council offer a collection service for large electrical items or furniture. It's not cheap. I did look at the one for my area and they charge 60 pounds.

I found it's better not put out recycling bins until the day of collection. Sometimes I forget ..... it builds up and they refused to take it . So I just put it in with a regular rubbish. It all goes to the same place anyway.

The one thing like dare not put out is shredded paper or packaging. Seagulls in the area love it and use it to build their nests.

Stranger0nTheSh0re

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
This is also a frustration of mine. We're constantly reminded it's important to recycle and the importance of separating waste into their appropriate recyling containers as advised. I often wonder why I bother because when they turn up to collect, the whole lot is just dumped into the back of the truck and away they go. What's the point in me spending my time sorting it all out in the first place if that's what they do each time? Yet if I decided to throw everything in normal bags and put them in the black bins they would probably go through it, refuse to take it, and fine me. Ludicrous.

Last edited:

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
It's understandable to feel frustrated when efforts to recycle and sort waste seem to go unnoticed or unappreciated. Recycling programs are designed to encourage environmentally friendly practices and reduce waste, but inconsistencies in collection methods can indeed be disheartening.

While it may seem counterproductive to sort recyclables if they are ultimately mixed together during collection, it's still important to continue recycling efforts. Proper sorting at the source helps streamline the recycling process and ensures that recyclable materials can be processed more efficiently at recycling facilities.

Additionally, recycling habits contribute to a larger cultural shift toward sustainability and environmental stewardship. By participating in recycling programs and advocating for improved waste management practices, individuals can collectively make a positive impact on the environment and promote responsible consumption.

Although it can be frustrating at times, perseverance in recycling and waste reduction efforts remains valuable for the overall health of the planet and future generations.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I forgot to put the blue recycle wheelie bin out this morning. It was rammed full of all the bottles and cans i'd kept.. So like a decent citizen I laboriously emptied it all into bin bags. Went online and booked a slot at the local tip (recycling village as it's now called!) because you can't just turn up these days, you have to book in advance. Arrived promptly only to find that unbelievably, there were no skips specifically for bottles or cans, so it all just had to go into the non-recyclable household rubbish skip. I don't know why I bother!
Forgive me if I tend to use this forum as some kind of personal blog. :oops:

Don't bother, it ends up in a land fill anyway.

Where I live I get to 2 bin bags a week, no wheelie bins, no feck all.
My mate has 5 different bins in Manchester, my mam 3 in Derbyshire.

It all gets exported to FeckKnowsStan and dumped into their dump sites.

Recyling for local government is a joke.

Back