When should progress end?

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I am thinking of infrastructure mainly: nature has it's own way. We are now set upon churning a huge furrow from London to the North of the UK, spoiling for ever huge tracts of never to be regained, beautiful countryside, ancient villages and much else of historic value, the despoliation of ancient woodlands, not to mention the harm to our natural wildlife.
Must we homo-sapiens go on expanding? Must we be forever chasing more...and more.

JJ50

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I take it you are talking about HS2?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
England's green and pleasant land isn't so nice for a lot of people. It will create a lot of jobs for ordinary working people. I just hope it doesn't get cancelled further down the line. Now, if they'd started building a high speed railway starting from say Newcastle of Glasgow heading to London you KNOW it would get finished. We're a big country, The track won't take up that much land, and what we lose in wildlife/woodlands we'll gain with all the archaeological digs the railway is bound to generate.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I am thinking of infrastructure mainly: nature has it's own way. We are now set upon churning a huge furrow from London to the North of the UK, spoiling for ever huge tracts of never to be regained, beautiful countryside, ancient villages and much else of historic value, the despoliation of ancient woodlands, not to mention the harm to our natural wildlife.
Must we homo-sapiens go on expanding? Must we be forever chasing more...and more.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
"Must we homo-sapiens go on expanding? Must we be forever chasing more...and more. "
And...will we ever be satisfied?

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Simply put Dong, HS2 should be cancelled. It's an expensive vanity project that will go over budget, and we're paying for the damn thing. It's an absolute disgrace. Economically it makes very little sense, and also ethically. It will destroy our environments.

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I'm utterly unaware of / affected by HS2, apart from the fact I fear I may be contributing to the bill, perchance.

B

Bad_Influence

Progress will not, and should not end. It's human nature to keep trying to advance in all areas.

With regards to HS2, I think the benefits will out-weigh the detrimental issues, although I do think the Gov't should be starting with the northern sections first, rather than leaving them until last when they will already have over-spent by £billions. Yes there will be disruption to current wildlife and certain urban areas but that is the cost of progress. Without it we'd still be living in pre-industrial revolution England.

Back