What's in a name? (NOT a thread revival, I hasten to add).

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
The Jeremy Vine Show does occasionally throw up both humorous and serious topics of discussion.Yesterday's offering was one asking, "Is it rude to criticise baby names?"
Some people would argue that it's nothing to do with anyone else what people call their children. Personally, I disagree.
Some very bizarre examples of forenames are: Elsie Otter, Pilot Inspektor, Fifi Trixibelle, Sage Moonblood and Audio Science. Apparently one child was named Vagina because the parents drastically misspelt Virginia! Some unfortunate children have names based on cyphers or absurd symbols.
A well-known example of a nonsensical and unpronounceable given name is "X Æ A-12", later changed by the demands of Law to "X AE A-XII" (Musk).
What is wrong with Janet, John, Peter and Mary anyway?
By the way, Jeremy Vine's co-presenter, Storm Huntley, seems to think her name is unique. Not so, wee hen. I know of a man in his 60's with THAT particular name.
On a similar subject, I am amused by those people who insist that their name is pronounced in a particular way that suits them.
That reminds me of the Monty Python sketch concerning a man being interviewed, called Raymond Luxury-Yacht.
He protested: "it's spelt Raymond Luxury-Yacht, but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.

I do like to give value for money.
:)

A

AGirlHasNoName

Elsie isn't so bad. Give it 10 years and all the old fashioned names will be back in the top 5 again, I knew a kid called Maude. I also knew a kid called Leaf - which is stupid.

The name Storm is awesome. I do like names with a bit of jazz, not stupid names like Elon Musk chose though.

C

CrazyCatLady

I love old names; nature names and even though I'm not religious by any measure, I like bible names.
I also go for meanings of names, hence, why I picked a particular name for my son. It was an old bible name and had a meaning that was relevant to my ancestral history. However, it was also a name that started slowly catching on in the years after he was born, due to a popular UK show having a character by his name and I hear it every so often. It has a few different spellings, so it's not always the same spelling as my son's. Still, in the whole of my his childhood, I only heard of approx. 3 other boys with his name.
Not revealing it, as too unusual and too personal to what I would share here.

Girls names, I would have called him Iris, Violet or Rose.

I see a lot of kids names in what I do and some of the hybrid and made-up names are utterly ridiculous! Hardly ever see names like Alan, Patrick, Margaret, etc.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I love old names; nature names and even though I'm not religious by any measure, I like bible names.
I also go for meanings of names, hence, why I picked a particular name for my son. It was an old bible name and had a meaning that was relevant to my ancestral history. However, it was also a name that started slowly catching on in the years after he was born, due to a popular UK show having a character by his name and I hear it every so often. It has a few different spellings, so it's not always the same spelling as my son's. Still, in the whole of my his childhood, I only heard of approx. 3 other boys with his name.
Not revealing it, as too unusual and too personal to what I would share here.

Girls names, I would have called him Iris, Violet or Rose.

I see a lot of kids names in what I do and some of the hybrid and made-up names are utterly ridiculous! Hardly ever see names like Alan, Patrick, Margaret, etc.
My First name is Finlay, my Second is Patrick. Nice that you included Patrick in your comment, it's not heard very often. Especially in England. Go to Ireland...everyone knows someone with Patrick in their name. ;)

Kathleen. My favourite girls name. No one in England likes that name...!

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
My First name is Finlay, my Second is Patrick. Nice that you included Patrick in your comment, it's not heard very often. Especially in England. Go to Ireland...everyone knows someone with Patrick in their name. ;)

Ahhhh Altaire ,hello btw :). One of my G.children was named Finlay which we like . He didn`t like it though so he ,himself, changed it to Sky when he was about 8 or 9 :).

Last edited:

adam_n

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Poco loco translates as " bulimic coward "

Who knew

C

CrazyCatLady

The Irish love the name Patrick- I have a number of older relatives with that name (who ultimately either get called Pat or Paddy). Kathleen- again, another popular Irish name and an informal version of Catherine. Noticed on a few Irish 'Kathleen's' of old liked to be called 'Leena'

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
The Irish love the name Patrick- I have a number of older relatives with that name (who ultimately either get called Pat or Paddy). Kathleen- again, another popular Irish name and an informal version of Catherine. Noticed on a few Irish 'Kathleen's' of old liked to be called 'Leena'
My grand father (On my dads side) was German. My grand mother (On my dads side) was French. My grand father (On my mothers side) was Irish. My grand mother (On my mothers side) was British. Is there any wonder I am like i am? So much mixed blood I sometimes wonder where exactly my allegiance should lie.! :D

Both my mum and dad are British born. My dad waned to call me Ellis. (After his dad), But my mum insisted on Finlay ( After one of her brothers) !

Either way...it's no big deal to me. (Names are for grave stones)

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Ahhhh Altaire ,hello btw :). One of my G.children was named Finlay which we like . He didn`t like it though so he ,himself, changed it to Sky when he was about 8 or 9 :).
Hello Hells. :) Sky is a pretty cool name. I can't say I blame him.

Back