What makes a good forum, and do you contribute to making it thrive?

S

Saphire

Some forums last for years, some fade away after a while, some never take off...what iyo makes a good one, and what do you contribute?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Over nearly 4 years I'm only averaging 1 comment per day, I need to up my game :oops:
But people spamming the forum, forcing their views on everyone else by flooding it with the sheer number of threads all basically on the same subject. People cutting and pasting other people's opinions from the internet, instead of opening up themselves with their own take on the subject. - are a bloody nuisance! :eek: This is a nice little community, any negativity is easy ignored. There are regs in their old age with outdated views and must find it hard to adapt, and there are some lonely regs with only the internet for company, so this is important to them. So make allowances. Mind you, people like myself who always like to take the high moral ground may also be annoying to some - make allowances! :) .. . .. and this forum will thrive ;)

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
You have either got it or you haven't.

You can't 'Make' someone post good stuff.

It's all in the Mind.;)

S

Saphire

Over nearly 4 years I'm only averaging 1 comment per day, I need to up my game :oops:
But people spamming the forum, forcing their views on everyone else by flooding it with the sheer number of threads all basically on the same subject. People cutting and pasting other people's opinions from the internet, instead of opening up themselves with their own take on the subject. - are a bloody nuisance! :eek: This is a nice little community, any negativity is easy ignored. There are regs in their old age with outdated views and must find it hard to adapt, and there are some lonely regs with only the internet for company, so this is important to them. So make allowances. Mind you, people like myself who always like to take the high moral ground may also be annoying to some - make allowances! :) .. . .. and this forum will thrive ;)
I knew you would have a great answer. :cool:

Like you, I prefer peoples own thoughts rather than always c&p ing stuff.... we can all google, but original opinions are more interesting.
I post a lot more than one post a day...I might only be on for a half hour here and there, but I post a lot when I'm here...maybe too much sometimes. I'm not very good at just browsing, I like to chip in. :p

I like the way you post btw...forthright without resorting to pettiness.

S

Saphire

Who is to decide what is "good" stuff" ?
It depends on what you personally think a good forum should consist of.
Some people like being topical, so they like to post and read opinions on what's happening in the news.
Some like to argue, some like to chat and exchange views with folk with similar interests.

One size doesn't fit all.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It depends on what you personally think a good forum should consist of.
A few years ago i joined a Forum which was principally concerned with people who had been suddenly taken off a drug which they had been prescribed for many years and the withdrawel affects were horrifying . Quite a few people died due to the withdrawel .
This was in the time of MT who was cutting costs on NHS ! similar to what this Tory party are doing now !.
Anyway ,the main thrust of my post is that i got chatting with another guy in similar situation and we ended up taking the pee out of a group of regular posters who imagined they were in some sort of live situation . More alike to chatrooms than a serous Forum.
The end came when myself and mate were banned for taking the pee out of their game :).

S

Saphire

A few years ago i joined a Forum which was principally concerned with people who had been suddenly taken off a drug which they had been prescribed for many years and the withdrawel affects were horrifying . Quite a few people died due to the withdrawel .
This was in the time of MT who was cutting costs on NHS ! similar to what this Tory party are doing now !.
Anyway ,the main thrust of my post is that i got chatting with another guy in similar situation and we ended up taking the pee out of a group of regular posters who imagined they were in some sort of live situation . More alike to chatrooms than a serous Forum.
The end came when myself and mate were banned for taking the pee out of their game :).
So you trolled them?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
So you trolled them?
we ended up taking the pee out of a group of regular posters who imagined they were in some sort of live situation . More alike to chatrooms than a serous Forum.
I think @hell2bwith76 may have been implying that they ^^^^ were the trolls. It used to happen a lot on this forum at one time, people chatting away as if it were a chat room, as opposed to a forum. There is a difference, but don't ask me what that may be, I just know there is... ;)

S

Saphire

I think @hell2bwith76 may have been implying that they ^^^^ were the trolls. It used to happen a lot on this forum at one time, people chatting away as if it were a chat room, as opposed to a forum. There is a difference, but don't ask me what that may be, I just know there is... ;)
He may have been implying that, no doubt he will come in and tell us soon enough. ;)

I am not a chat room visitor myself, but I imagine it's more like a one liner conversation rather than a debating experience.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I`m not sure who were the trolls ,possibly us two ,but there were five or six other regulars in that Forum and they didn`t discuss the main issue ever!. They used the Forum as a game room /chatroom which myself and mate found irritating/out of touch with the main issue .
It provided no help or advice to the subject in hand which was quite serious at that time .
Looking back ,into my memory :))) i think the two of us were banned from the Forum for "spoiling" others pleasure( we just took the pee). .Now i remember ! The Forum was actually a Forum on Age Concern !! geeeez.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
He may have been implying that, no doubt he will come in and tell us soon enough. ;)

I am not a chat room visitor myself, but I imagine it's more like a one liner conversation rather than a debating experience.
It`s a mix of debate and one liners ,FYI. It can be confusing :)

S

Saphire

It`s a mix of debate and one liners ,FYI. It can be confusing :)
Yeah, I have been on a couple of forums where they have more private chatrooms, they suit some, not me.
I prefer to post on an open forum where everyone can read, and if they are members, they can add their own opinions if they wish.

I did log into a chatroom here when I first joined (for about one minute) ....too many people having different conversations all at once, or that's how it seemed to me, way too confusing.:confused:

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I have been on a couple of forums where they have more private chatrooms, they suit some, not me.
I prefer to post on an open forum where everyone can read, and if they are members, they can add their own opinions if they wish.

I did log into a chatroom here when I first joined (for about one minute) ....too many people having different conversations all at once, or that's how it seemed to me, way too confusing.:confused:
September 11.2021. But you aren't exactly 'NEW' are you. I'm on your case. ;)

Back