What do you think about things?

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I love the night sky. Staring out into the vast darkness, sprinkled with sparkling diamonds, makes me realise how small and insignificant we really are compared to the rest of the universe. But lately, I've been wondering about how many of those 'diamonds' are actually satellites. Where I am, there's one that tends to stay lit until around 9am every day. Every day, it's there like another bloody sun. Last night, I noticed another one. Definitely not a star- it was blinking blue and was in the same spot in the sky from around 8pm last night until well after 8am this morning. It's ruined my naked-eye star-gazing experience! Totally ruined!

Sooo....what silly things do you wonder about?

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
According to a few sources, there are over 8,000 satellites orbiting the Earth- over half of which are active. That's nearly 5,000 satellites, transmitting and receiving data about activity on Earth.

Not all of those are to read the weather and keep your internet going. :oops:

And think of the space junk! There are thousands of pieces (possibly hundreds of thousands, including exploding rockets, etc) of human-made junk stuck in the gravitational pull around our Earth.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
What silly thinks do you think about?

I wonder why.
We have a beautiful cosmos all around us.
One which is full of wonder.
Yet we live tied to this little planet called earth, why.

Because to go anywhere in space one needs billions if not trillions to be viable.
I think people like Elon Musk, even though I dont like a lot of what he says are the answer.
Yet are they.
Is it the needs of corperate belief in profit that drives us, or the natural nature of the human psyche to explore and adapt/change?
I think Musk is right on many things concerning the future, I am especially concerned about AI becoming commen.

I think we need to question why we are doing what we are doing.
Yes the night sky is beautiful, especially when seen far away from population centers.

When you can really accept how small we are, does that mean something, I think it should.

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
What silly thinks do you think about?

I wonder why.
We have a beautiful cosmos all around us.
One which is full of wonder.
Yet we live tied to this little planet called earth, why.

Because to go anywhere in space one needs billions if not trillions to be viable.
I think people like Elon Musk, even though I dont like a lot of what he says are the answer.
Yet are they.
Is it the needs of corperate belief in profit that drives us, or the natural nature of the human psyche to explore and adapt/change?
I think Musk is right on many things concerning the future, I am especially concerned about AI becoming commen.

I think we need to question why we are doing what we are doing.
Yes the night sky is beautiful, especially when seen far away from population centers.

When you can really accept how small we are, does that mean something, I think it should.

I am of the opposite view that we should leave the cosmos alone. Humans have desecrated so much of the Earth in our time here and just from our short time in space, we've already managed to turn it into a dumping ground. As well as the bits of crafts & satellites, etc that we already have up there, what do you think happens to astronaut sh!t in space? They don't bring it home in a doggy bag!
Like animals, humans cr@p over everything we touch, so personally- I think we should concentrate on fixing the damage we've done to this planet before looking to damage others.

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I had to fight the urge to say 'you' rather than 'we' when talking about humans clucking up the earth.

I've spent far too much time with the cats! Human-face is beginning to look like mouse-face :oops:

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I am of the opposite view that we should leave the cosmos alone. Humans have desecrated so much of the Earth in our time here and just from our short time in space, we've already managed to turn it into a dumping ground. As well as the bits of crafts & satellites, etc that we already have up there, what do you think happens to astronaut sh!t in space? They don't bring it home in a doggy bag!
Like animals, humans cr@p over everything we touch, so personally- I think we should concentrate on fixing the damage we've done to this planet before looking to damage others.

Perhaps we can fix the problems we have caused by looking elsewhere.
To be fair thats how human relationships work, we cling to something until we see it as not working and look for an alternative.
Be that in life, work or love.
The green movement is no different, it plays on saving the planet, yet forget we have to completely overhaul our energy delivery infrastructure.
More power lines, more substations, all this energy does not simply appear magically at ones doorstep.

The problem lies in our ability to actually look inwards at the worlds own problems and its search of material benefit.
We use and abuse anyone we can to get what we want/need, on a govermental level..

Even starting wars over it, when we should not.

So ask youself a simple question, what would you give up for world peace?

Back