Wars, storms, diseases, mass exodus of refugees - All the same, eh?

Do you think things are going exactly as they always have been?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

A_Son_of_God

Forum Reasoner - Nemesis of the Trolls
Reaction score
In my lifetime things have changed drastically. Of the more notable items, I put the above. Yet, I still hear people saying things have always been this way.

What do you think? Have they? And why do you think so?

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Things have always been the same and most likely always will be... Man will always want to wage war. Storms? Where i'm sitting now, 1000's of years ago the ice was a half a mile high and in the future there'll be another Ice Age. As for diseases... i'm sure man will create some new ones. :rolleyes: Refugees? people will always want to move to where the grass is greener.
I was reading a book the other day about ancient Rome (I need to get out more) I was surprised to read that the city was plagued by gangs of thugs. In a 1000 years time there will still be gangs, because wherever there are poor people you will get gangs, and there will always be poor people. Depressing, isn't it? :(

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It's always been this way.

The internet and modern communication technology allows news to travel fast, so it seems like the world is falling apart.

It's nothing new.

As for Lady and her gang of thugs in Rome, you know they used to grow grapes in Scotland.
Global warming ftw.

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
In the past, those in power were able to do exactly as they pleased. Now they have the general public and voters to answer to. One thing which has changed very dramatically is punishment. Many died horrific deaths because they dared to oppose their leaders. European countries were ruled by the Catholic church. Henry V111th brought about the equivalent of Brexit and severed the ties with Rome.

Reaction score
People dying and suffering for the benefit of a few, it's mostly always been the way. Not always the same places or the same people involved, not always the same reasons behind the dying or suffering.

ruthless

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Completely disgaree with the vast majority agreeing its always been this way.
The stakes have risen, theres more people and the share of wealth/health is more skewed than ever.
The new wars are on supply of energy/food and economic sanctions not on old fashioned hand2hand, air2air combat.
The reason the quality of life has gone down for the majority of 1st world people is due to a change in power form west to east.
Weather that will kill off poor nations and a mass hysteria caused by unreliable sources of media and a scared populus have added to it.
This isnt like the depression of the early 20th century or 2008 ish.
I can name numerous examples, but this isnt the same as before that I can tally with.
Capatalism and more vividly to me, the throw away society will have its toll.
It`s not the same, just bear with it. Things change. Its not the same as it always has been. Maybe in a tribe it might be, they probably have Samsungs now.

NickUK

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
2023 may have been the hottest year in 125,000 years
"Samantha Burgess, Deputy Director of the Copernicus Climate Change Service, said that a combination of its data and that of the UN suggested 2023 may be "warmer than anything that the planet has seen for 125,000 years"
Somethings definitely changing...

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
2023 may have been the hottest year in 125,000 years
"Samantha Burgess, Deputy Director of the Copernicus Climate Change Service, said that a combination of its data and that of the UN suggested 2023 may be "warmer than anything that the planet has seen for 125,000 years"
Somethings definitely changing...

Yeah the way they look at recorded history.
It gets "Adjusted" every few years.

Back