Vaccines,

B

Bad_Influence

Yesterday Merck + Co (5th largest pharmaceutical company in the world) said it was ceasing development of its two COVID-19 vaccines. This comes in the wake of Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline (7th and 6th largest) delayed launch of their shot to late 2021, underscoring the challenges of developing vaccines at record speed.
Johnson & Johnson (biggest pharmaceutical company in the world), and others are also racing to develop safe and effective vaccines to protect against the virus.

Now, I thought all these scientists were working together to find an effective vaccine to control this pandemic? Apparently not.

I have to ask how other companies can race their vaccine into production when 4 of the 7 biggest companies in the world seem to be struggling, at least 7 weeks behind? Could it be that they cut corners? Or have stockholders who could benefit from winning the race to get their vaccine to market?

Surely these companies wouldn't do such nefarious things? Would they? You and I both know they WOULD, because that's how business works.

Last edited by a moderator:

bhgxusa0123

Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday Merck + Co (5th largest pharmaceutical company in the world) said it was ceasing development of its two COVID-19 vaccines. This comes in the wake of Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline (7th and 6th largest) delayed launch of their shot to late 2021, underscoring the challenges of developing vaccines at record speed.
Johnson & Johnson (biggest pharmaceutical company in the world), and others are also racing to develop safe and effective vaccines to protect against the virus.

Now, I thought all these scientists were working together to find an effective vaccine to control this pandemic? Apparently not.

I have to ask how other companies can race their vaccine into production when 4 of the 7 biggest companies in the world seem to be struggling, at least 7 weeks behind? Could it be that they cut corners? Or have stockholders who could benefit from winning the race to get their vaccine to market?

Surely these companies wouldn't do such nefarious things? Would they? You and I both know they WOULD, because that's how business works.
Some of the companies are located elsewhere on the planet, They are doing their best to end the pandemic but can fully understand all this vaccine news, now for you?? you just need a be nice pill lol :)

B

Bad_Influence

Some of the companies are located elsewhere on the planet, They are doing their best to end the pandemic but can fully understand all this vaccine news, now for you?? you just need a be nice pill lol :)

I’m not sure what your point is.

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Bad im getting my first one Friday :)

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

Strange isn't how you completely omitted from your argument the crucial role of independent licensing authorities in ensuring vaccines only get to the market after rigorous testing and independent review?

B

Bad_Influence

Strange isn't how you completely omitted from your argument the crucial role of independent licensing authorities in ensuring vaccines only get to the market after rigorous testing and independent review?

Oh of course. Pmsl.You mean the rigorous testing that won’t be complete until later this year (for one vaccine) and 2023 (for another)?

Last edited by a moderator:

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
For those who believe that a vaccine is wasted on 'others'.

''Some people—more than I ever suspected, I am dismayed to discover—don’t think her life is worth living. They judge that her failing, unreliable mind is not worth wasting a precious medical miracle on. ''

The following letter is written by Dr. Jen Phillips, a wee cog in the Great Science Machine.

''My mom has dementia & has lived in a dedicated memory care home 3 years. She received her first Moderna shot today. For the last year there’s been a lot of talk about how to assign value to lives like hers, so I want to tell you a story about the necklace she’s wearing.

I haven’t seen her in person in months, but a few weeks ago on a FaceTime call I asked her what she wanted for her birthday. The question was purely one of conversational convention as she hasn’t been able to answer such things substantively in a long while. But this time with no hesitation at all, “a strand of pearls!” And she didn’t stop there. She described the exact length, style & substance in great detail. I had my marching orders! After checking w/ staff to make sure there weren’t any restrictions on gifting jewelry, I shopped.

Found the perfect strand, just as she had described. I had no expectation that she would call asking for them, but they were a crystallized reality in her mind and I felt she would respond to them regardless. I arranged a “window visit” for her birthday, delivered the pearls via a caregiver who waited for her to open the box and then helped her don them. She was delighted. She glowed. She remarked that they were the PERFECT length and we talked about how good they feel on the skin and how they go with everything.

And then without pause she launched into a perfect soprano rendition of “Full Fathom Five Thy Father Lies” (from The Tempest). She sang it twice through flawlessly. The pearls were the hook that dredged “those are pearls that were his eyes” and the rest of it up from the deepest fathoms of her mind, where a lifetime of verse and poetry readings lie quiet bit perfectly preserved and waiting for daylight. Our conversation shifted to art, & we talked of Vermeer’s “Woman with a Pearl Necklace”.

She posed just so, lamented that she did not have her yellow and ermine robes on today. She posed for this picture, snapped through the window, as the house cat snuggled at the foot of her bed and waited for her, the favorite, to be free to stroke him again.

She lives only in the moment, the biographical continuity of her rich life long gone.

But so much remains. Libraries of art, music, dance, and world culture dwell behind locked doors, but the keys come in all shapes and sizes, and brilliant light shines through the keyholes and pierces the darkness. It gives her great comfort & confidence to demonstrate her knowledge & it brings joy to most everyone present when she holds forth.

Some people—more than I ever suspected, I am dismayed to discover—don’t think her life is worth living. They judge that her failing, unreliable mind is not worth wasting a precious medical miracle on.

I disagree.

Not because of my attachment or unwillingness to let her go—that decision is made, Alzheimer’s is a long goodbye—but because so much of her is still there. She lives in many joyful moments. She adds humor and intelligence and vivacity to the lives of many. She is her whole self.

She is a woman with a strand of pearls. Pearls that contain multitudes and memories and comfort. Their luster might be obscured, but they reveal their soft brilliance in lovely ways, every day. It’s my job to tell her stories now and this is one of them. /end''

EssIz_jUcAEAunc

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

''Some people—more than I ever suspected, I am dismayed to discover—don’t think her life is worth living. They judge that her failing, unreliable mind is not worth wasting a precious medical miracle on. ''

The following letter is written by Dr. Jen Phillips, a wee cog in the Great Science Machine.

''My mom has dementia & has lived in a dedicated memory care home 3 years. She received her first Moderna shot today. For the last year there’s been a lot of talk about how to assign value to lives like hers, so I want to tell you a story about the necklace she’s wearing.

I haven’t seen her in person in months, but a few weeks ago on a FaceTime call I asked her what she wanted for her birthday. The question was purely one of conversational convention as she hasn’t been able to answer such things substantively in a long while. But this time with no hesitation at all, “a strand of pearls!” And she didn’t stop there. She described the exact length, style & substance in great detail. I had my marching orders! After checking w/ staff to make sure there weren’t any restrictions on gifting jewelry, I shopped.

Found the perfect strand, just as she had described. I had no expectation that she would call asking for them, but they were a crystallized reality in her mind and I felt she would respond to them regardless. I arranged a “window visit” for her birthday, delivered the pearls via a caregiver who waited for her to open the box and then helped her don them. She was delighted. She glowed. She remarked that they were the PERFECT length and we talked about how good they feel on the skin and how they go with everything.

And then without pause she launched into a perfect soprano rendition of “Full Fathom Five Thy Father Lies” (from The Tempest). She sang it twice through flawlessly. The pearls were the hook that dredged “those are pearls that were his eyes” and the rest of it up from the deepest fathoms of her mind, where a lifetime of verse and poetry readings lie quiet bit perfectly preserved and waiting for daylight. Our conversation shifted to art, & we talked of Vermeer’s “Woman with a Pearl Necklace”.

She posed just so, lamented that she did not have her yellow and ermine robes on today. She posed for this picture, snapped through the window, as the house cat snuggled at the foot of her bed and waited for her, the favorite, to be free to stroke him again.

She lives only in the moment, the biographical continuity of her rich life long gone.

But so much remains. Libraries of art, music, dance, and world culture dwell behind locked doors, but the keys come in all shapes and sizes, and brilliant light shines through the keyholes and pierces the darkness. It gives her great comfort & confidence to demonstrate her knowledge & it brings joy to most everyone present when she holds forth.

Some people—more than I ever suspected, I am dismayed to discover—don’t think her life is worth living. They judge that her failing, unreliable mind is not worth wasting a precious medical miracle on.

I disagree.

Not because of my attachment or unwillingness to let her go—that decision is made, Alzheimer’s is a long goodbye—but because so much of her is still there. She lives in many joyful moments. She adds humor and intelligence and vivacity to the lives of many. She is her whole self.

She is a woman with a strand of pearls. Pearls that contain multitudes and memories and comfort. Their luster might be obscured, but they reveal their soft brilliance in lovely ways, every day. It’s my job to tell her stories now and this is one of them. /end''

EssIz_jUcAEAunc

That is just one of the most moving, articulate, thought provoking posts I've read in a very long while. What a phenomenal lady (her not you Whales, though you're not ' alf bad yaself!)

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
She reached me in the most profound way too. Both ladies are, in your words, 'phenomenal'.

Again, with experience. I am tearing up just typing this. We need to show our humanity to all ages. No one is worthless.

I will have the back of the weakest, every single time.

That is just one of the most moving, articulate, thought provoking posts I've read in a very long while. What a phenomenal lady (her not you Whales, though you're not ' alf bad yaself!)

funandflirty

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

I disagree.

EssIz_jUcAEAunc

beautiful

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

None of the drug companies are charities, all of them are chasing profits because they're all accountable to their shareholders. Pfizer was the first one in production, is that safer than the Valneva vaccine, which the government have just placed an order of 100 million, but which is not due till 2022?

B

Bad_Influence

None of the drug companies are charities, all of them are chasing profits because they're all accountable to their shareholders. Pfizer was the first one in production, is that safer than the Valneva vaccine, which the government have just placed an order of 100 million, but which is not due till 2022?

Exactly my point. Of course they’ll tell us the vaccines are safe, there’s £s involved.

God knows how many vaccines the govt has on order now across the selections. I do wonder if Staples has had a rush on brown envelopes though.

Brass

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
After having a look at Johnson&Johnson's rap sheet, I wouldn't trust them to open a bottle of aspirin for me.

Brass

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
  • 1995 – $7.5 million fine for destroying documents to cover up an investigation into wrongful marketing of its Retin-A acne cream to remove wrinkles.
  • 1996 – An undisclosed settlement on false claims over condom protection claims to protect against HIV and other STDs.
  • 2000 – J&J’s subsidiary LifeScan was found guilty for selling defective blood glucose monitors and failed to inform the FDA. All total, $105 million was paid out.
  • 2001 – Paid out $860 million in a class action lawsuit for misleading customers about prematurely discarding its 1-Day Acuvue soft contact lens. J&J recommended they should only be worn once although it was discovered the lenses were no different than the regular Acuvue lens that would last for two weeks
  • 2010 – $81 million settlement for misbranding its anti-epileptic drug Topamax to treat psychiatric disorders and hiring outside physicians to join its sales force to promote the drug for unapproved conditions. The following year, J&J paid $85 million for similar charges against its heart drug Natrecor
  • 2011 – Several of its baby products were discovered to contain carcinogenic ingredients
  • 2013 – The US Justice Department charged the company $2.2 billion in criminal fines for marking its autism and anti-psychotic drug Risperdal for unapproved uses. Forty-five states had filed civil lawsuits against J&J in the scandal.
  • __________________________________________________________________________________
There's been more since, but you get the idea.

Back