Thoughts on The Grand National

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
They've been trying to make the race safer since the 90's? I think. They've shortened the distance of the race. reduced the number of horses to 34, I think in the past, 66 took part one year. They've lowered the heights of the fences and made only the lower half of them solid. I caught the race on TV the other day and some horses didn't even bother to jump over the fences, they jumped through them!.
An example of what the fences used to look like... solid Norwegian Spruce!.... Horses these days don't know they're born! :rolleyes:

grand national.jpg

KatDA

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
too many horses have died at thei meeting over the years. It should be confined to the history books

Muppz

Staff member
Reaction score
The national is a great classic race, I love watching it every year.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
When I was a young child I recall watching a documentary with father. It was about the goings on at a slaughterhouse (I had an unusual childhood :rolleyes:). The TV crew were so shocked (and I was, which is why it's stayed with me) to discover that one of the horses due to be killed was a previous Grand National winner. They bandied together to save the horse, I assume they bought it from the abattoir, I'd love to know what happened to it. This morning I've been searching the internet to try and find out - to no avail. It seems the world wide web is not the font of all knowledge. :(
My searches did uncover some interesting facts...

In 2023 a total of 1,428 racehorses were slaughtered for meat in Ireland and 175 in England.
Even racehorses who had had prestigious careers – such as Vyta Du Roc, who had won more than £175,000 – were slaughtered for their meat.
Food for thought...

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
i hate seeing innocent horses killed
Less horses been killed on racecourses then people on roads least if a person breaks a leg it can be mended horses you cant why they die maybe we should send them all to france for meat .

Muppz

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a lot of places now that rehabilitate racehorses for other sports , like dressage, show jumping and just normal hacking, their life isnt over once racing finishes.

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Yes at some greyhound tracks there are details on the adoption process.greyhounds and horse's have big beaming smiles when running

ruthless

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Why would you compare road deaths to organised horse racing?

This problem coud be fixed, simply turn horses with knackered limbs into cyhorse-borg carts.

Project: RS-Horseturbo2024

Objective: To design a cyborg horse capable of mobility and function post-accident, utilizing advanced prosthetics and wheel technology.

Design Overview:
• Chassis Integration: The horse's remaining body will be fitted with a lightweight, durable chassis designed to integrate seamlessly with its biological form.

• Prosthetic Limbs: High-performance prosthetic limbs with articulated joints will replace the missing legs, allowing for natural movement patterns.

• Wheel System: At the base of each prosthetic limb, omnidirectional wheels will be installed to provide smooth and versatile movement across various terrains.

• Control Interface: A neural interface will connect the horse's nervous system to the prosthetic limbs, enabling intuitive control as if they were natural limbs.

• Energy Source: The system will be powered by a compact, rechargeable battery pack with solar charging capabilities for extended autonomy.

• Sensory Feedback: The prosthetics will include sensors to provide the horse with tactile feedback, ensuring comfort and preventing injury.

Benefits:
• Mobility: The Equi-Wheel 3000 will restore the horse's ability to move independently and interact with its environment.

• Quality of Life: With the new prosthetics, the horse can enjoy a life closer to its pre-accident condition, including the ability to participate in non-competitive activities.

• Innovation: This project could pave the way for advancements in veterinary prosthetics and rehabilitation, benefiting more animals in the future.

Conclusion:
Why not? This represents a leap forward in animal care and technological integration, offering hope and improved quality of life for injured equine athletes. Meat from the surgery will be available for folks with a penchant for Basashi. Alernativley a taxideterimist could provide unique gifts!

Last edited:

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Why would you compare road deaths to organised horse racing?

This problem coud be fixed, simply turn horses with knackered limbs into cyhorse-borg carts.

Project: RS-Horseturbo2024

Objective: To design a cyborg horse capable of mobility and function post-accident, utilizing advanced prosthetics and wheel technology.

Design Overview:
• Chassis Integration: The horse's remaining body will be fitted with a lightweight, durable chassis designed to integrate seamlessly with its biological form.

• Prosthetic Limbs: High-performance prosthetic limbs with articulated joints will replace the missing legs, allowing for natural movement patterns.

• Wheel System: At the base of each prosthetic limb, omnidirectional wheels will be installed to provide smooth and versatile movement across various terrains.

• Control Interface: A neural interface will connect the horse's nervous system to the prosthetic limbs, enabling intuitive control as if they were natural limbs.

• Energy Source: The system will be powered by a compact, rechargeable battery pack with solar charging capabilities for extended autonomy.

• Sensory Feedback: The prosthetics will include sensors to provide the horse with tactile feedback, ensuring comfort and preventing injury.

Benefits:
• Mobility: The Equi-Wheel 3000 will restore the horse's ability to move independently and interact with its environment.

• Quality of Life: With the new prosthetics, the horse can enjoy a life closer to its pre-accident condition, including the ability to participate in non-competitive activities.

• Innovation: This project could pave the way for advancements in veterinary prosthetics and rehabilitation, benefiting more animals in the future.

Conclusion:
Why not? This represents a leap forward in animal care and technological integration, offering hope and improved quality of life for injured equine athletes. Meat from the surgery will be available for folks with a penchant for Basashi. Alernativley a taxideterimist could provide unique gifts!
Whos going to clear up all the horseshit

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
A lot of horses do go on to other things when their racing career is over. It's when this second calling ends that it may become a problem for it's owner. Put it out to pasture? Possibly... but the horse may live for another 20 years, which would be very expensive. Even if a horse dies of natural causes what would you do with the body? I suspect more than 99% of horses end up as pet food or shipped to countries where horse meat is relished. :(
A notable exception is Red Rum, who I think is buried at Aintree racecourse.

Muppz

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of horses do go on to other things when their racing career is over. It's when this second calling ends that it may become a problem for it's owner. Put it out to pasture? Possibly... but the horse may live for another 20 years, which would be very expensive. Even if a horse dies of natural causes what would you do with the body? I suspect more than 99% of horses end up as pet food or shipped to countries where horse meat is relished. :(
A notable exception is Red Rum, who I think is buried at Aintree racecourse.
I am still riding a horse that is 26 years old , most owners when retiring their horse from their career keeping riding them, if its only gentle hacking, and if not keep them in the field, after all they are not just a horse they are part of your family. We had a pony put to sleep last year that was 35, he was my friends childhood pony and had been retired for years.

ruthless

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
who clears the sh** up?

THE WEATHER OBVIOUSLY!

you dont see riders with plastic bags and scoopers do u!

btw most of the time they sh** indoors especially the oldies they arent donkeys out working 24/7!

dont gardeners like horse manure apparantly its good for veg! its worth its weight! nobody runs around asking for batshit do they!

Billyliar

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't watch it lady, clashed with football duties, racings on TV today I see, ive had a fiver ew on no 9 in the 240 at Cheltenham, longshot but the lady jockey has a lovely bum, I think this could count for something

Back