the BIBLE

do you believe the BIBLE is true ? ? ? ? ?

• yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • some of it

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • none of it

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • i never read it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
A difficult question to answer, does one believe in the bible as a religuous text or an ethical one?

The Ethics of some of of the bible most definitely.
As the word of god nope.
Modern western society is based on Judeo/Christian belief in the words, if not the religiosity of faith.
Faith and religion are the disperate bedfellows of hope.
Faith simply asks we have faith in something greater than ourselves, be that a human spirit, a camaraderie, a shared vision.
Religion asks us to centralise those beliefs onto a living god.

To me, the belief comes in simple actions :-
That we are all humble when praised,
That we are thankful to others for thier time,
That we are gracious in defeat and magnanimous in victory,
That we ask of others only what we would ask of ourselves,
That we respect and accept opinions which we disagree with.

Religion also talks about sin, for that I agree with 7 of the 10.
Thou shall not have any god but me.
Thou shall not dishonour the name of the Lord your God.
Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.

Are the ones I find antithetical to my beliefs.

The singular limitation we have to knowledge is thinking that we know truth.
Which is why I do agree with :-
"You shall not make for yourself any idol."
If we "Know" truth, we make ourselves into an idol of truth we cannot yet comprehend, then we are blinded by self belief, faith or science.
None of which are infallible.

G

godsgoodguy

A difficult question to answer, does one believe in the bible as a religuous text or an ethical one?

The Ethics of some of of the bible most definitely.
As the word of god nope.
Modern western society is based on Judeo/Christian belief in the words, if not the religiosity of faith.
Faith and religion are the disperate bedfellows of hope.
Faith simply asks we have faith in something greater than ourselves, be that a human spirit, a camaraderie, a shared vision.
Religion asks us to centralise those beliefs onto a living god.

To me, the belief comes in simple actions :-
That we are all humble when praised,
That we are thankful to others for thier time,
That we are gracious in defeat and magnanimous in victory,
That we ask of others only what we would ask of ourselves,
That we respect and accept opinions which we disagree with.

Religion also talks about sin, for that I agree with 7 of the 10.
Thou shall not have any god but me.
Thou shall not dishonour the name of the Lord your God.
Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.

Are the ones I find antithetical to my beliefs.

The singular limitation we have to knowledge is thinking that we know truth.
Which is why I do agree with :-
"You shall not make for yourself any idol."
If we "Know" truth, we make ourselves into an idol of truth we cannot yet comprehend, then we are blinded by self belief, faith or science.
None of which are infallible.
ok

G

godsgoodguy

You need to see the Bible more like a collection of stories from a region, not a religion. It's interesting that Phoenicians who originally came from modern day Lebanon are left out or edited out depending on your point of view.

The other issue you need to think about is population at the time. Between Egypt, Israel, Joran, Syria and Lebanon we're talking under 500,000 inhabitants. The land wouldn't support many more.

So is the Torah / New Testament truthful?

The first book of the Torah is Book of Genesis. Most scholars consider Genesis to be primarily mythological rather than historical and dated from 6th and 5th centuries BC.

The first book of the New Testament is Gospel of Matthew. The bulk of traditional sources date the book to the reign of the Roman emperor Domitian (AD 81–96), which evidence tends to confirm. 80 years after the crucifixion of Jesus Christ based on a small cult. The witness long since dead, no written testimony from the time, just a verbal history. Roman emperor Domitian was a ruthless but efficient autocrat. At a time when few could read or write, its hard to know fact from fiction, revisionist or winners history. Politics plays a part too, no one from that time period wrote a warts & all book and lived.

All you can say is:

The Bible based on a long verbal history spanning thousands of years from a wide area. They say there an element of truth to all legends and they mite be a little truth in Bibles stories. but there just that stories.

ok

G

godsgoodguy

I don't think that's the case. Story telling with a morality twist is common in many cultures. Peasants always revolted and no religious doctrine ever stop them. The idea you're going to hell when your life is a living hell wasn't much of a deterrent.
you go to hell if you dont believe in him

G

godsgoodguy

Not a very merciful guy is he, this god of yours?
he is if you believe in him. it aint hard to do. fact lately i been posting proof videos that shows he exist. i have showed videos of people that nearly died, went to HEAVEN, seen dead loved ones, seen JESUS, seen GOD, etc, and came back (because it wasnt their time). means according to the videos its proof that he exist

G

godsgoodguy

Tell him to show his face, problem solved. Until that happens it’s not proof, just the words of a potential mental patient.
some have told doctors about things on the hospital roofs etc. after they floated out their body, went to HEAVEN etc. and they was right

G

godsgoodguy

The key word there is ‘told’, they made it up. Is your god popped his head through the cloud and said “Hi”I think it’s safe to say more people would believe in him, but he permits religious wars to continue simply because he has better things to do huh? Lol
ill always believe no matter what anybody says

G

godsgoodguy

I spend time in Israel with Quaker movement in my youth. Had classes & visited all the holy sites ect.
My family still go for Christmas yearly.

The one lesson I learn was:

Religious zealots are still with us and its there way or death. There no 1/2 way measures.

Until you see it on person you'll never understand it.
ok

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
The Bible is a great read. Although a lot of the original texts have been DELIBERATELY omitted.

Apocrypha for instance...

The Gospel of Mary the Magdalene…

The Gospel of Philip...

The Gospel of The Twin/Thomas...

The Book of Enoch...

The Secret Book of James...

The Apocalypse of Paul...

The Letter of Peter to Philip...

The Apocalypse of Peter...

The Gospel of Truth...

The Gospel to the Egyptians...(Where they got the whole story from RE: Jesus..)

The reason they were removed is because the scholars claimed that their doctrines were false or blasphemous. The truth alone in these books shaked the Christian faith and hence was a threat or an act of rebellion when people followed these doctrines. That is why they were deliberately omitted.

Which means the Bible does not speak the WHOLE truth. Just the parts THEY WANT you to believe.

That aside.

When I see human beings and animals walking the Earth, I see Evolution.

Do you know why we have Finger Nails?... We first had Claws, which helped us to get fruit from branches high in the trees.

When we come to stand upright, our finger ends widened and we learned to use tools.

Claws became Finger Nails, to aid our Grip on rocks and tools.

When you look at our DNA, Actually looking back Millions of years, it falls in a perfect familly tree, we are derived from apes. FACT.

Now if there IS a god, he/her/it... has decieved us all, in the most underhand way imaginable.

Not only that. Depending on where you were born, you will worship a different GOD to someone else.

Which GOD is the right one and why is YOUR god the right one and not MINE?

Back