Stupid things you've done...

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Call an electrician out to change a light bulb. :rolleyes: Yes, you read that correctly. But let me justify my folly... Removing the glass shade, this looked like no ordinary bulb. It's an oddly shaped fluorescent type that appeared to be built into the bathroom ceiling. I just didn't fancy having to turn the power off at the mains and mess with wiring, so got an expert in. He came, he looked, he pulled off the old bulb, he pushed in the new one, and he was gone! . Yes, these bulbs just pull off. :) I've since found out that you can buy them in Wilkos for a fiver. :rolleyes:

Feel free to share your stupidity!...

Maggie68

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Just one thing? There is a plethora of silly things I have done. But the silliest one was mentioning to the mechanic that my internal light in the car wasn't working. Found out for several years I had switched it off and forgotten how to turn it back on so when the door opens the light turns on. Yes felt foolish but this is what happens when life gets busy.

S

Saphire

The first meal I cooked for my then boyfriend...Pizza and chips, I dropped the chips and left the cardboard disk on under the pizza...then wondered why it was hard to slice.
He actually ate it....I married him.:)

A

AGirlHasNoName

I once set fire to my kitchen when I first lived on my own by leaving the hob on with a colander on it. Totally forgot to turn it off. Luckily I managed to put it out on my own, but I then realised I was dangerous and had to set alarms to remind me and make sure I had very loud and adequate fire alarms all over. I'm better these days thanks to timers and alarms.

Lady: that happened to me in my first house too, I felt a right knob - just know you're not alone.

S

Saphire

I once set fire to my kitchen when I first lived on my own by leaving the hob on with a colander on it. Totally forgot to turn it off. Luckily I managed to put it out on my own, but I then realised I was dangerous and had to set alarms to remind me and make sure I had very loud and adequate fire alarms all over. I'm better these days thanks to timers and alarms.

Lady: that happened to me in my first house too, I felt a right knob - just know you're not alone.
That reminded me of something stupid I did once.
I was pregnant at the time, It was in the days when people actually had chip pans and cooked the chips in lard.
. I put it on the stove to melt, forgot about it, and I dozed off in the next room.
I had a dream, I was at a funfair and I could smell candyfloss....really strong candyfloss. I awoke suddenly and realised it wasn't candyfloss, it was the melted fat...which was a few seconds away from igniting.

I managed to throw a wet tea towel over the pan before that happened...and like you, I learned from my mistake.
We are fully alarmed now.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I managed to throw a wet tea towel over the pan
That's exactly the correct thing to do for chip pan fires. I'm showing my age here, but there used to be TV adverts telling you to never throw water onto a chip pan fire. You don't seem to get those public information ads these days.

Back