Should traveling circus's be banned?

Should traveling circus's be banned?

• Total voters

Chip_TheViking

Vegvisir
Reaction score
I do drone flights for fun sometimes, came across this traveling circus yesterday driving down from Doncaster & decided to film it.
while it was rendering I searched for it to see if anyone else has filmed it & there was loads of vids about animal cruelty
so should they ban them & if the did shouldn't Zoo's also be banned as a circus is basically just a traveling Zoo?

The owner of the circus in an interview following accusations of animal cruelty:

Last edited:

A_Son_of_God

Forum Reasoner - Nemesis of the Trolls
Reaction score
There are plenty of clowns on the road. Are these also considered part of a travelling circus?

HappyNutz

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Prior to 2020, as keepers of exotic animals, Circuses were required to apply for Zoo Licences just like regular Zoos which have fixed premises. For this they will have been required to prove they can maintain a suitable level of animal care, and if problems are found they are required to rectify them within a reasonable time frame. I think the bigger problem is the exploitation. Animals in Zoo's are encouraged to maintain natural behaviours as much as possible, and are largely part of breeding programs for conservation purposes. Circus animals are not.
That said there are only two circuses in the UK which still keep animals (I think) and they don't keep a lot. There was also a law passed in 2020 preventing circuses for applying for new licences, so when the existing licences expire (if they haven't already) then the problem goes away.

The last Circus to visit my hometown was a freaks and weirdo's circus. If you ban all Circuses then where else is Lee 'Three Dikkys' Micky going to find another job?

And Zoo's aren't like circuses. They do some damn good work and protect many of the species that imbeciles like us threaten daily (albeit mostly indirectly and unintentionally). We should be supporting our Zoos and the work they do.

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I do drone flights for fun sometimes, came across this traveling circus yesterday driving down from Doncaster & decided to film it.
while it was rendering I searched for it to see if anyone else has filmed it & there was loads of vids about animal cruelty
so should they ban them & if the did shouldn't Zoo's also be banned as a circus is basically just a traveling Zoo?

My vid:

The owner of the circus in an interview following accusations of animal cruelty:

Yep! Definitely should be banned- worldwide. I went to one as a child and just remember the animals looking docile and drugged up. I didn't like it and have never been back to one with animals since. I don't find them entertaining at all. I'm an animal lover and don't like them being made to perform, wear clothes, etc. Bloody hate it actually! And this extends to stupid videos on the internet. I can't fill my eyes with that crap.
Humans manipulating and torturing animals for their fun and entertainment is a demonstration of power and frankly, I find it repulsive.

marmiteman

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score

My vid:

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Yep! Definitely should be banned- worldwide. I went to one as a child and just remember the animals looking docile and drugged up. I didn't like it and have never been back to one with animals since. I don't find them entertaining at all. I'm an animal lover and don't like them being made to perform, wear clothes, etc. Bloody hate it actually! And this extends to stupid videos on the internet. I can't fill my eyes with that crap.
Humans manipulating and torturing animals for their fun and entertainment is a demonstration of power and frankly, I find it repulsive.
Do you have any pets?

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Do you have any pets?
Are you kidding me? Hello? Crazy Cat Lady speaking! PMSL

I have pets that, if the history books are correct, domesticated themselves. They also get to leave the house every day (well, actually several times a day) unaccompanied. If they don't want to return, they don't have to. I've never once dressed them up in stupid clothes or made them 'perform'- I'd be lucky if I could get them to come when called or get a collar on them (which btw, I despise- my cats have never had collars- they're not my slaves). Essentially, my cats are like teenagers- they come home to sh!t, eat and sleep and bar what they eat and when they get their flea drops, I control very little about them.

So what's your point, Moriarty? Are you going to try and twist a bunch of quotes from philosophers to make out that having a pet is the same as circus' exploiting and making money from the torture and cruelty of animals?

Why exactly? Why not just have an opinion?

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Its a simple question Rain, do you have pets.

The next question is why do you have pets?

It'll drop eventually.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

Nice Nick not what I was saying, but a good video.:)
Rain will figure it out eventually.

Might take her a while though.

NickUK

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Nice Nick not what I was saying, but a good video.:)
Rain will figure it out eventually.

Might take her a while though.
It wasn't meant to be a reply or anything its just a video about cats that makes me laugh...

Back