Should an applicants weight be considered when hiring employees.

S

Saphire

Faye Angeletta, a recruitment director from the UK, said she was “lost for words” after a potential employer commented on an interviewee’s weight.

When Angeletta asked how the interview went, the unnamed employer said: “The only thing bothering me is she isn’t the slimmest of girls… I’m not being sizeist but it was rather off putting.
“Presentation is important to us and you know we have a ‘standard’ for our staff.”
They added that a person’s look is key to the role they were hiring for, much to Angeletta’s surprise.

She said that during her time in recruitment for roles in new home sales, she’s heard many reasons for rejecting a candidate - including them having “garlic breath”, reminding interviewers of Piers Morgan or stroking their cat on Zoom “like Dr. Evil” - but, none quite like this."

S

Saphire

I think it must be quite usual for obese or fat people to be refused jobs, even if they can physically do them.
Not sure why the recruiter was shocked, people, especially women, have been judged on their looks since time began.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
oh bull sh** , it if they capable of doing the job I don't see where looks comes into it .
Said company should be named and shamed if this is true.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Depends what the role is. If It's a physically demanding job, they may have concerns over the candidates health based on their initial image.
They also mentioned how presentation is important to them, as the hopefully candidate will be representing them as a company.
I don't think they would be impressed if they interviewed a candidate who just looked like they've just rolled out of bed. They may also look at a person's weight, and worry about the potential health concerns that may affect them, depending on what the job consists of.
But this is also the competitiveness of the job market. The way you dress and look may play an important role and give you an advantage over another candidate. Remember, they're interviewing hundreds of candidates for a single position, so they can afford to be picky in who they choose for the position.

S

Saphire

oh bull sh** , it if they capable of doing the job I don't see where looks comes into it .
Said company should be named and shamed if this is true.
The employer was an idiot for actually saying he had reservations because the applicant was too fat.

However, employers have often always judged people on age, sex and appearance, it isn't a new thing.

hairygityeti

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
No although there must be jobs out there where it would be an issue like manholes or small access points maybe.

S

Saphire

At one time certain airlines wouldn't employ any female flight attendants over size 14.
Obviously they have to be slim enough to maneuvre past passengers in the isles..but a tall girl can be 16 or 18, and still be in proportion..

The problem with very overweight people, rightly or wrongly they are percieved by many to be greedy with little self control, not the best assets many employers are looking for when hiring.

I

Ice-Queen

Fattists!!. I dont have time for people like that. Why should someone overweight be judged on their size? slim people dont get judged on their size. (or lack of) I have worked with obese people who are very intelligent and active much more so than some slim people I know.

All people should be judged (if they have to be judged at all ) on their capabilities, experience, knowledge, not their size ortheir colour or wether they fit someone elses idea of perfect.
End of rant

S

Saphire

Fattists!!. I dont have time for people like that. Why should someone overweight be judged on their size? slim people dont get judged on their size. (or lack of) I have worked with obese people who are very intelligent and active much more so than some slim people I know.

All people should be judged (if they have to be judged at all ) on their capabilities, experience, knowledge, not their size ortheir colour or wether they fit someone elses idea of perfect.
End of rant
You are right of course, people should be accepted for what they are, not what they look like.
It's not a new thing, but I definitely think since people started caring more about what total strangers think of them via the internet, the way a person looks seems to be at the forefront.

Obviously, the fattest people can be as intelligent as the slimmest, being overweight doesn't affect brain power.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Sometimes perception matters more than intellect or ability.

In some companies they actively search for attractive receptionists as its an easy job and gives the front office a more "Pleasing" look.

I know some garage delivery companies like to hire good looking female drivers, because mechanics like something to look at and flirt with.

If a male domain, such as a garage gets it's supplies delivered by a good looking women, they will order more from that company than one who has a grumpy 50+ year old bloke driver :D

It's marketing.

It works.

Women who can afford it are just the same, you dont get fat, ugly "Pool Boys".

S

Saphire

Yeah, I think it's a bit naive to think many employers dont take looks into consideration when employing.

Cado

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Don't many jobs come with an attached medical. Or if "fat" is going to be the problem a medical to answer that one. Bus Drivers for instance need to be able to get behind the wheel and hold a PSV licence - I'm told they need an annual medical.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
glad some ppl see hat we 'fat ppl ' have to put up with i suffer from Triglycerides. only found out few weeks back but maybe now i get some help with it
oh yeah i a big not fat

S

Saphire

glad some ppl see hat we 'fat ppl ' have to put up with i suffer from Triglycerides. only found out few weeks back but maybe now i get some help with it
oh yeah i a big not fat
I had never heard of that (just googled) hopefully you can get some medical help with it.

It is horrible the way others judge on appearance, and it seems to happen a lot more now than it used to.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

End of rant
Because the employer has to decide whether or not that person is able to do the job. It's rather simple, whether that seems harsh or not. Also, employers judge candidates on first impressions, so if you look unhealthy or don't come across as presentable, that may go against you.
An overweight person may come across as someone who doesn't take care of their health and lacks responsibility for their choices.
How do i know? Because I've struggled with weight issues, I haven't taken responsibility for my own self and tried to blame others for my own bad choices and mistakes, and i also know that if i attend an interview and I'm not looking my absolute best, it will go against me.
Same with anything in life. First impressions matter. No matter the scenario, whether that's dating, the job market, or general life. The truth is that people who are morbidly obese or are overweight, miss out on so much in life. My best friend told me about the story of when he went to Florida and tried to get on one of the roller-coasters, but couldn't because he was too big. But not only that, obesity is a death sentence, where a lot of young people die way too young.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Don't many jobs come with an attached medical. Or if "fat" is going to be the problem a medical to answer that one. Bus Drivers for instance need to be able to get behind the wheel and hold a PSV licence - I'm told they need an annual medical.
Depends on the job. A Bus Driver for example, has the responsibility of keeping everyone that boards their bus, safe from harm. What if they have a heart attack or a stroke, which can be linked to obesity, during one of the services? That could potentially endanger every passenger on that bus.

Back